Anyone else seen problems with brand new DA-1 antennas and TerraFlex? We have two instances now with a brand new DA-1 connected to TerraFlex and get the error:
Then it will not connect. Support is already aware and we have verified that the firmware on the DA-1 is correct. This same antenna works with no problem with Trimble Mobile Manager. Connecting an older DA-1 works just fine.
Yes, I have the same message. I sent log files to tech support and they verified that my firmware was out of date, however I am never prompted to update in TMM. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times with no luck. Tech support has not responded to my most recent request for additional support.
There doesn't appear to be any way to manually update firmware so unless they come up with a work around, im not sure what to do with the antenna...
Thank you for posting here. I was able to find your case that we corresponded on a few days ago and found why I was not receiving your emails. I will respond to you directly within the support case to progress this forward and further investigate.
Trimble Geospatial Support