Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Connect to Trimble Catalyst does not work as expected

• 1.  Connect to Trimble Catalyst does not work as expected

Posted 06-18-2020 03:21

"Connect to Trimble Catalyst" does not work within the Trimble mobile manager for the following devices. 

Google Pixel 2 XL (Android 10)

Huawei p30 (Android 10)

Samsung S9+ (Android 10)

Samsung Note 2 (Android 10) 

Works gr8 for:

Samsung Galaxy S7 edge (Android 8)

Galaxy Tab Active2(Android 9) 

Not sure if it has anything to do with the android version? 

Have already tried uninstalling and installing Trimble Mobile Manager & Catalyst Service

• 2.  Re: Connect to Trimble Catalyst does not work as expected
    Best Answer

Posted 06-18-2020 09:08

Hi Powel

I've added some troubleshooting steps below but it looks like you've been pretty thorough already.

Go through the steps and If it's still not working submit the log files below from one of the problematic devices

Submitting Log Files

If you haven't already can you submit the log files following the instructions here please: Sending Logs files with Trimble Mobile Manager 

Please add a short description to provide context and the support team can take a look at it and get the files analysed if necessary.

Things to check/ Troubleshooting Steps

I just want to check your definition of 'Cannot connect to Trimble Catalyst' here so I understand.

Is this an error message you are seeing when you slide the 'Connect to Trimble Catalyst' on the HOME menu

When you connect the cable and slide the connector are you seeing the USB handshake confirmation similar to the screengrab below?

If not I'd suggest checking the Catalyst HW on another known working device (you've probably already done this) to identify If this is a cable/connector issue.

Cables can be easily replaced If they are damaged following the post Changing/Replacing the Trimble Catalyst DA1 Micro USB Cable 

#Some other tips

• I can offer is to connect and power the external battery first to the DA1 antenna THEN connect the cable to the phone. This runs the DA1 as host which means it provides power to your phone as opposed to draining additional power. Take a look at STEP 2 - Connecting the Auxiliary Power here
    • On the topic of power you should also make sure the Battery Optimization is disabled which may be causing some problems, you can follow the post here Not connecting to satellites to see the details

• 3.  Re: Connect to Trimble Catalyst does not work as expected

Posted 06-18-2020 23:17

Thank you TOM for the quick reply!

I have already checked the cable with multiple other devices, so i do not suspect this.
    Shall check the other details in your post and also check the Battery Optimization settings and revert back.

Regards

Sandeep Kuniel

• 4.  Re: Connect to Trimble Catalyst does not work as expected

Posted 06-19-2020 03:02

Hi Again Tom,

We did this.

1. Uninstall & Reinstall the software components.
    2. Did the configuration changes for Battery Optimization.

3. Posted the log from Trimble Mobile Manager to support.

The first 2 items did not make any difference, we observed that, so long as the "Connect to Trimble Catalyst" sign was ON, the catalyst service icon was appearing and disappearing in the title bar for Android devices which had the issue.

What we haven't tried

Replacing Catalyst micro USB cable, but we doubt this...since the same antenna is working quite nicely on devices i mentioned above. If you want we can try this as well...

I bll've this is a software or configuration issue within the device rather than a HW issue.

Background on How we are using this service:

We are using the catalyst SDK with Xamarin within our app and our app is not working/unable to start the catalyst service on the devices as mentioned above. 
    And we use the Trimble Mobile Manager as an external application to validate the configuration, that is when we noticed the issue.

Regards

Sandeep

• 5.  Re: Connect to Trimble Catalyst does not work as expected

Posted 06-19-2020 05:01

Thanks Sandeep - we have received the logs and will begin the analysis

Just one simple thing to check with this additional information.

Please make sure you are not already connected to the Catalyst DA1 through your TPSDK application when you try to test in Trimble Mobile Manager (TMM). If you are already connected via your application this will prevent TMM from connecting directly to the DA1 as only one direct connection is permitted at any one time.

This may be the simple solution here

• 6.  Re: Connect to Trimble Catalyst does not work as expected

Posted 06-19-2020 06:23

Yes Tom, we are aware of this constrain in the Catayst Service.

While testing we usually restart the mobile,

run TMM with Catalyst

or

Our app directly after the restart.

• 7.  Re: Connect to Trimble Catalyst does not work as expected

Posted 06-23-2020 06:17

Hi Powel

Can you check the Permissions for the Trimble Catalyst Service app please?

You should be able to access this via:

• SETTINGS > APPS > Trimble Catalyst Service > PERMISSIONS
    • Everything needs to be enabled (Location and Storage)

The logs indicate a problem with the service permission setting for the USB accessory

• 8.  Re: Connect to Trimble Catalyst does not work as expected

Posted 07-02-2020 07:06

Today we released an update to the Trimble Catalyst Service [v1.2.2347]  that should resolve this.

1. If you go into the PLAY store on the device
    2. Choose My apps & Games
    3. UPDATE the Trimble Catalyst Service app

Thank you for your patience

• 9.  Re: Connect to Trimble Catalyst does not work as expected

Posted 07-06-2020 13:06

Tom,

I have a customer with the same issue "Not Connecting" in TMM with Cataylst.

The just installed for the first time today TMM and the latest Trimble Catalyst Service app.

TMM recognizes the antenna and the 1 month of Precision Subscription.

They have a Samsung Tab-A. They follow all the instructions about Battery Optimization too.

They tried without and with the external battery.

Also tried the : 

• SETTINGS > APPS > Trimble Catalyst Service > PERMISSIONS
    • Everything needs to be enabled (Location and Storage)

The logs indicate a problem with the service permission setting for the USB accessory

*They did send in their LOG file this afternoon too

Thanks,

Jay

• 10.  Re: Connect to Trimble Catalyst does not work as expected

Posted 07-06-2020 16:09

Hello

I had the same problem and I solved it by going to the settings of the Android applications and allowing the floating windows.

Best Regards,

Christian Gomez

Geosystem Ingenieria 

• 11.  Re: Connect to Trimble Catalyst does not work as expected

Posted 07-07-2020 06:30

I will have the customer give it a try.

Thanks,

Jay

• 12.  Re: Connect to Trimble Catalyst does not work as expected

Posted 07-08-2020 08:29

The Floating Windows option did not resolve the customers issue.

We are getting them a new USB cable to test with.  Also they will test with a different Android compatible device.

Thanks,

Jay

• 13.  RE: Re: Connect to Trimble Catalyst does not work as expected

Posted 09-13-2021 17:00
    Has anything been resolved with this issue? Dealing with connection problems. Galaxy tab a7. Works sometimes, like at home or work, but apparently not when I'm on the jobsite where I need it.

------------------------------
    Maurice Boot

• 14.  RE: Re: Connect to Trimble Catalyst does not work as expected

Posted 09-16-2021 08:43
    Hi Maurice

Your best best is to contact your local Trimble reseller for support on this or send the log files through with a description of the issue you are facing for the support team to Investigate.
    The behaviour you are describing could be caused by a number of things so sending the logs or contacting your local support team will help narrow the possibilities and see what the issue is.

Simple things to check...
    1. Are the cables/ connectors secure and not damaged? 
    2. Are you on the latest Trimble Mobile Manager version?
    3. Is battery optimisation disabled? Take a look at the Catalyst Community post - Not connecting to Satellites for the steps how to do this
    Beyond this would require some more detailed investigation

Good luck!

Tom Harrison