Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

getHeading() orientation from Trimble SDK

• 1.  getHeading() orientation from Trimble SDK

Posted 02-13-2019 11:16

Hello everyone,

I am using java SDK with trimble Catalyst.

In listener updatePositionTable, we are using PositionUpdate object with getHeading() method. (orientation from nord pole)

Do you know the accuracy of this value ?

Each update, it goes (without move or rotate trimble) with value:

200°

200°

4° (hum)

3° (again)

200°

200°

170°

what is the best case to have always good degree ? (without skip in code if the difference is too big ... but I will finish with this solution if no one have a solution;) ).

Thanks you,

Max.

• 2.  Re: getHeading() orientation from Trimble SDK
    Best Answer

Posted 02-15-2019 06:29

Hi,

the heading information are a result from the GNSS engine; as this is a single-antenna setup (no double-antenna/ double receiver config) you need a certain amount of movement to get a stable heading.

I would guess that if the antenna is still on the table you will not get a good heading at all.

Applications like Trimble SiteVision ask the user to walk a couple of meters to be sure the heading is correct - I guess you would need to do the same. So in a user story I would guess you would need something 'before starting the actual task a user has to walk 5ish meters to get a correct heading'.

Without having any clue on the insides of the GNSS engine I guess the heading is after all just a difference between two  sequential positions - which would also favor the 'walk some meters' thought.

Sorry to have no better answer

Nico

• 3.  Re: getHeading() orientation from Trimble SDK

Posted 02-21-2019 06:23

Hi,

You're right, walk 5 / 10 meters fixed the accuracy ! We have now the 3d model displayed on good side in our app.

Max.