Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Conflict with CSM when Positions and PFO co-exist - Explain Please

• 1.  Conflict with CSM when Positions and PFO co-exist - Explain Please

Posted 04-09-2020 16:36

Hello,

I'm in the midst of training 35+ persons using the latest Positions (10.8.0.1) on federal Windows 10 v. 1803 and higher OS while some folks are also using a computer with PFO 5.85 previously installed.

I'm aware of the CSM is somewhat, at least in the older days, shared.  I saw this with a computer running tbc, pfo, but now we are also using POSITIONS.

Persons with previous PFO working fine, then install 10.8.0.1.Somewhere, and this happended to 5 persons, but no one documented it, they were asked to "install" or "upgrade the CSM. They did not, and then the Extension for Positions won't engage - they again get an error, CSM is not installed.

What are the steps you recommend to recover from this.

I also on this computer have TBC, Positions and PFO.  I have two versions of CSM - one CSM, the other 64-bit.

Do you know which one of these goes with which product>?

• 2.  Re: Conflict with CSM when Positions and PFO co-exist - Explain Please

Posted 04-09-2020 16:56

Let me comment on my comment.  Trimble - would you concur that for machines with both PFO and Positions, that you alwasy upgrade the CSM during the Positions install.  Then, I think the logic goes, that Positions won't start with an older shared csm that runs PFO.  Positions needs to upgrade the older PFO CSM to run.  Does that sound right?

• 3.  Re: Conflict with CSM when Positions and PFO co-exist - Explain Please

Posted 04-16-2020 16:33

Hi Joel

I ran into CSM problems when my PC was upgraded to WIN10. I could not get TBC & PFO to coexist with CSM. The fix was to Uninstall both products and run the PFO & TBC cleanup utilities and then reinstall. Now the 32 bit CSM is grouped with PFO and the 64 bit CSM is grouped with TBC in the Start menu. Hope this helps...

• 4.  Re: Conflict with CSM when Positions and PFO co-exist - Explain Please

Posted 04-23-2020 15:01

Hi Joel...

Yes, you should select the option to upgrade the CSM when you install Trimble Positions Desktop. It installs the latest 32-bit version of the CSM while TBC uses the 64-bit version of the CSM. If in the Trimble Positions Desktop installation you elected not to upgrade the CSM from PFO, then you can try a Repair on the installation or you can download the CSM by itself and install it that way. We have the 3.7.2 version available for download here. Once installed, it has a self-updater that you can use to keep it current. I believe there is a way to have both the 32-bit and 64-bit CSMs share the same CSD but that's outside the scope of this immediate discussion.

Let me know if that works out.

• 5.  Re: Conflict with CSM when Positions and PFO co-exist - Explain Please

Posted 06-08-2020 08:40

Matt,

In the past couple weeks both Jay and myself have seen problems with incomplete installs of the Coordinate System Manager associated with Positions Desktop Add-in. In those cases, multiple (more than two) reboots seems to have solved the problem. I worked with a customer on Friday that is only using the TerraFlex Add-in and has never installed another Trimble product on this computer. They downloaded the Add-in on Friday and installed with no error messages. However, when trying to build a project, we got the error.  

We tried the multiple reboots but nothing. Then we manually downloaded and installed the CSM 3.7.2 as you provided above for Joel.  All is working!  Should we expect to often have to do this manually?  Also, side-note, is there a version of the CSM with Geoid18 in it?

• 6.  Re: Conflict with CSM when Positions and PFO co-exist - Explain Please

Posted 06-08-2020 10:16

I continue to see this as a "problem" during installation.  The errors are,in my community of users are long standing users of PFO (PFO running on machine) with Positions installed on top.  Its my gut feeling, that this could be eliminated entirely by a more logical installation process.  

My recollection, during install, is that the installer recognizes ""Hey, I found a CSM installed on this machine...", and then provides a popup window to install an upgrade.  I think this is ignored more often than not, maybe because the popup window disappears if not tapped, then the problem rears its head with the error above.  Either make this clear (strongly recommend you upgrade), or a recovery mechanism once the error above appears to point to "upgrade now" would make this easier on the user community.   

Just trying to get over this show stopper - finding the solution is frankly pretty tough and with all the other installs that are required - desktop configuration, etc, the installation is a bit clunky.  Just saying.

• 7.  Re: Conflict with CSM when Positions and PFO co-exist - Explain Please

Posted 06-08-2020 10:58

@York Grow, @Joel Cusick I appreciate the discussion here. We are aware of installation challenges in this area and I will follow-up in this thread shortly. With regards to the CSM/CSD requirements in the TerraFlex add-in, this is addressed in the release notes and was new as of 4.01 for certain workflows (e.g., when creating real-time configurations).