Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Trimble Catalyst as signal transmitter to another Trimble

• 1.  Trimble Catalyst as signal transmitter to another Trimble

Posted 03-12-2022 01:34
    Hi Everyone, I have pretty unusual issue. At our site we have very poor satellite signal mainly because we operate in between two pretty high slopes. I was wondering if Trimble Catalyst may serve as signal transmitter to another Trimble. If yes, we could buy one more, buy subscription, install it on the top of the slope so this second Trimble could give signal to the Trimble we would use to locate given GPS points.
    What do you think? Many thanks, Jakub

------------------------------
    Jakub Rudnicki

• 2.  RE: Trimble Catalyst as signal transmitter to another Trimble

Posted 03-13-2022 09:39
    Jakub,

The Trimble Catalyst doesn't support a GNSS repeater mode. This a link to a great company that specializes in GNSS signal and repeaters. I would contact them to verify feasibility. Have a great weekend. https://www.gpssource.com/

Mel Philbrook

• 3.  RE: Trimble Catalyst as signal transmitter to another Trimble

Posted 03-14-2022 08:20
    You could get a base and rover with an R10 or R12 but they are pretty pricey. I've been a loyal Trimble customer for years but I have been reading about the Emlid RS2 receivers. You can get a base and rover package for under $5k and they have a free iOS or Android app called ReachView 3 that you can do all the setup and data collection. You can either use an RTK service or collect and post process PPK.

Grant Timentwa

• 4.  RE: Trimble Catalyst as signal transmitter to another Trimble
    Best Answer

Posted 03-14-2022 13:17
    Hi Jakub

I don't believe what you are asking for would work as you expect, and it would not solve the problem you have described..

The way GPS / GNSS signal repeaters work is that any GNSS receivers which receive the repeated signal will report the same position as the original GNSS antenna.  In the situation you describe, all the receivers in the valley would report the position of  the GNSS antenna at the top of the slope.  Or more likely, the GNSS receivers in the valley would receive some real GNSS signals from satellites which are in view, as well as some repeated signals which would not correspond with the real signals so the GNSS might not give any position at all.

The only practical use I know for GNSS signals repeaters is where you want to check that GNSS equipment is working, in a location which does not have a good GNSS signal, for example, in a repair facility inside a building.  When used like that, all GNSS receivers in the building will report the position of the GNSS antenna - but that doesn't matter because all you are trying to do is check that the GNSS receiver gives a position.  And note that if you move around inside the building where you are receiving the repeated signal, the reported position will not change.

As a final point, GNSS repeaters are restricted or illegal in many countries, and they can interfere with normal operation of GNSS receivers.

Norman Smart