Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Problem connecting to Samsung Galaxy J5 Prime

• 1.  Problem connecting to Samsung Galaxy J5 Prime

Posted 07-29-2021 05:44
      |   view attached
    I am trying to install and use a Trimble Catalyst antenna with a Samsung Galaxy J5 Prime Android device.
    I have successfully installed Trimble Catalyst Service from Play Store.
    I have successfully installed Trimble Mobile Manager (TMM) from Play Store.
    I have an activated Trimble Catalyst subscription account.
    The phone (J5 Prime) is switched on.
    The TMM app is active and I am logged into the subscription account.
    Location sharing is "On".
    The Trimble Catalyst antenna is connected to, and powered by an Anker PowerCore+ Mini powerbank.
    When the antenna is plugged into the J5 Prime, the following message briefly appears:
    "Trimble Catalyst Antenna Connected"
    There is however no "slider switch" available, suppose to be visible/available within the red circled area on the attached image, to "activate" the connection to the antenna.

Should I accept that the Samsung Galaxy J5 Prime is not compatible with the Trimble Catalyst antenna and TMM, or is there still something I can try to successfully connect?

------------------------------
    Ryk Taljaard

• 2.  RE: Problem connecting to Samsung Galaxy J5 Prime
    Best Answer

Posted 08-05-2021 09:05
    Hi Ryk

A quick google of the J5 Prime specs and it looks like this device does not meets the minimum Android device requirements 
    I can't see on the video/image what happens when you SELECT A POSITION SOURCE, but Incompatible devices typically don't get an option to connect to the Catalyst DA1, only bluetooth receivers, so this is another sign.

If you want one of the support team to verify this then send the log files through with a description (so they know what to look for) and they will check the specific model you have here and respond

Tom Harrison

• 3.  RE: Problem connecting to Samsung Galaxy J5 Prime

Posted 08-06-2021 00:51

Thanks Tom.

I found the J5's specs to be on the verge of being able to connect to a Catalyst and was hoping for a workaround, or maybe a miracle!

I successfully connected the Catalyst to a Samsung Galaxy A20, and from the positive result it is clear that the lack of success with the J5, is clearly a lack of system resources on the J5.

What however still bothers me ... I have temporary access to a "Precision" RTX correction signal for evaluation purposes, but can only get a best accuracy of 0.3m.

The local helpdesk informed me that I will require an additional (external) Trignet subscription, via 3G or wifi, over and above the RTX signal, in order to achieve the Precision accuracy of 1-2 cm – this is mentioned nowhere in any of the online references for the Catalyst?

The whole idea is to be able to achieve 1-2cm accuracy, outside any wifi or 3G reach, with only the RTX correction signal, is it not?

Please advise ... Best regards

RYK TALJAARD

Boundary Hunter

Mobile: 082 895 2906 Ÿ Fax2Email: 086 621 1336

P.O. Box 7352 Ÿ Noorder-Paarl  7623 Ÿ SOUTH AFRICA

Web:  www.boundaryhunter.co.za Ÿ Email: ryk@boundaryhunter.co.za

• 4.  RE: Problem connecting to Samsung Galaxy J5 Prime

Posted 08-06-2021 05:54
    Hi Ryk

Firstly the accuracy you will achieve depends on the subscription your have purchased (and your location).
    To understand the different subscription types pleas take a look at the Catalyst Subscription page - you don't need to purchase a separate RTX subscription. This is included in the Catalyst subscription bundle

Subscription accuracy is Intelligently delivered using the Trimble Correction Hub, which Includes:
    • Trimble RTX corrections (via IP or Satellite)
    • Trimble VRSNow corrections
    • or can accommodate local NTRIP services when needed
    Typically* RTX is used to deliver Metre/Sub Metre subscription level accuracy and Trimble VRSNow networks are used/recommended for Decimetre and Precision level (OnDemand) accuracy.
    To understand the coverage extents of both RTX and VRSNow correction services, please take a look at the global coverage maps

* Although its technically possible inside an RTX FAST zone to reliable on RTX alone for Precision/Decimetre accuracy, it's not practically recommended. 1-2cm accuracy with Catalyst is NOT possible to achieve with RTX outside of RTX FAST zones

In your case If you want 1-2cm you will need a Catalyst Precision or OnDemand subscription and to either be working within a Trimble VRSNow Network* or configure a local NTRIP for your corrections.

With this technical background hopefully it's a little clearer as to why your Catalyst solution is performing as it is.
    I'm guessing that you are probably outside of a Trimble VRSNow Network AND outside of an RTX FAST zone which, is limiting the performance of your subscription type (Precision/OnDemand???), so the recommendation of using your local TrigNet correction service will be your best bet for 1-2cm

I would strongly recommend you contact local Trimble reseller who you purchased the kit from, they are best equipped to deal with localised questions like this and advise on the best local solution for your environment. They can also usually help with trial's or demo subscriptions If you need to make any explorative tests before purchasing.

Tom Harrison

• 5.  RE: Problem connecting to Samsung Galaxy J5 Prime

Posted 08-11-2021 00:20

Thanks Tom.

>> so the recommendation of using your local TrigNet correction service will be your best bet for 1-2cm

This is what I am trying to achieve.

>> I would strongly recommend you contact local Trimble reseller who you purchased the kit from,

>> they are best equipped to deal with localised questions like this and advise on the best local solution for your environment.

>> They can also usually help with trial's or demo subscriptions If you need to make any explorative tests before purchasing.

I have a Catalyst demo antenna with me, provided by the local Trimble agents on loan to test.

Together with this I have been provided with a Trimble RTX correction subscription, which I am lead to believe is suitable for Precision accuracy.

I take note off most probably being inside a zone for which Precision accuracy is not achievable without an additional correction signal.

The local agents are however not responding to my request as to HOW to incorporate/receive the locally available additional correction signal (called Trignet) on an Android device.

RYK TALJAARD

Boundary Hunter

• 6.  RE: Problem connecting to Samsung Galaxy J5 Prime

Posted 08-11-2021 00:44

The local agents have now responded and instructed me how to connect to the local Trignet correction signal from within Trimble Mobile Manager.

RYK TALJAARD

Boundary Hunter

• 7.  RE: Problem connecting to Samsung Galaxy J5 Prime

Posted 08-08-2021 05:26
    > I have temporary access to a "Precision" RTX correction signal for evaluation purposes, but can only get a best accuracy of 0.3m.

I've recently been down a very similar road.  I have my own NTRIP base station, providing me with 2cm-accurate GNSS within 10km of it.  My Trimble Cat can take an NTRIP feed, but apparently it only provides 2cm accuracy if you take the feed via a paid-for Trimble accont.  If you use a free account, you don't get the extra accuracy.

So, if you want 2cm accuracy wherever you happen to be and you don't want to mess around setting up a local base station, the Cat is a very good choice.  If you have your own fixed base station and only need to work close to it, the Cat may not be the most cost-effective choice of product in the medium term.

However, there is a middle way:  The challenge when using your own base station is to figure out where it is.  You only get correct results once you've done that.  If you replace your base station's antenna with a Cat, you can get a good notion of its position in a few seconds using one hour of  Trimble's by-the-hour service.   You can then use your base station to drive other equipment.  The antenna's reference position is usually floating in space a few centimetres above it, whereas the Cat's reference position is the centre of its base plate, so the position will be a little off, but not much.  You can correct your survey later using a Precise Point Positioning Service, but that takes about two weeks.  (Trimble have a free PPS service for certain antennae. Other services are avaialble.) 

I'm building my own NTRIP infrastructure using off-the-shelf components.  The fundamental problem is that it only works properly once I've established the position of the base stations. I'm using my Cat as described to do that.  I also use the Cat to validate that my NTRIP stuff gives correct results - take my NTRIP rover out somewhere, measure its position, measure the same position using my Cat and compare.

The equipment manufacturer Emlid suggest a different method of establishing the base station position, involving using your local mapping service's ground markers as reference positions.  (Over here in the UK, they are called Trig Points.  I believe in the USA they are called Benchmarks.  Fixed markers in the lanscape that were used by map makers in the days of theodolites.)  I tried that but it didn't work.  Firstly, the published positions of trig points over here are only accurate to about a metre, and they are given in local mapping coordinates.  The conversion from local coordinates to GPS coordinates introduces another error of about the same size.  (Apparently this in inherent in the mathematics, but I don't now enough to say why.)  Using a Cat to get a decent base station position is the way I've found so far that combines reasonable speed and accuracy.

Simon Ritchie

• 8.  RE: Problem connecting to Samsung Galaxy J5 Prime

Posted 08-11-2021 00:07

Thanks Simon for your elaborate response.

I won't be going the way of an own base station at all. I would like to determine the way of best possible accuracy with a single Cat, making use of whatever correction signal subscription/s available.

The local (South African) Trimble agents have told me that to receive better than the Sub-meter (30cm – 75cm) accuracy (with the Cat) that I currently achieve, I have to include an additional real time correction subscription/signal, which is called Trignet over here in South Africa.

Until now, since Thursday, they however did not reply to my request as HOW to facilitate (receive) this external correction signal, and if it is a setting inside the Trimble Mobile Manager (TMM) app, or if an additional app needs to be installed on the Android device to achieve this.

What boggles me is how Trimble can claim 1-2cm accuracy with their "Decimeter" and "Precision" level RTX subscription, but then also advise that an additional correction subscription is required to achieve this, without mentioning it in the online references.

I accept the possibility that I may be understanding some things wrong here, but why do they then not advise accordingly?

RYK TALJAARD

Boundary Hunter

• 9.  RE: Problem connecting to Samsung Galaxy J5 Prime

Posted 08-11-2021 00:46

The local agents have now contacted me with the relevant information on how to connect to Trignet from within TMM.

RYK TALJAARD

Boundary Hunter

• 10.  RE: Problem connecting to Samsung Galaxy J5 Prime

Posted 08-11-2021 01:35
    @Ryk Taljaard I'm not sure you read my response above but we do explain what you can expect in terms of coverage clearly on the subscriptions page - If you select the Precision Subscription page for example, then we lay out where you can utilise the TCH and where a local NTRIP will be required, along with an explanation of what this practically means
    This is also something your local Trimble reseller should be able to help you with on purchase, but we're sorry If this wasn't as clear for you at the beginning

For ​anyone else following this thread here's the online help for the Catalyst companion app - Trimble Mobile Manager (TMM)
    • To connect to a local NTRIP (Trignet in this case) you just need to enter the details in the GNSS Configuration settings (which your local Trimble reseller or the local network operator can provide you with) and Connect to Catalyst. Providing you have a data connection to receive the corrections it will just 'work'
    • Catalyst enabled app's such as Trimble Terraflex or Trimble Penmap have these settings as part of the normal configuration workflow

Tom Harrison

• 11.  RE: Problem connecting to Samsung Galaxy J5 Prime

Posted 08-11-2021 02:11

Thanks Tom.

The local agent has now advised accordingly (how to activate the local Trignet subscription)/

I can now proceed with an accuracy test.

RYK TALJAARD

Boundary Hunter