Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Terraflex: Downloading vector reference layers to the app (Connect), logging intervals

Thread closed by the administrator, not accepting new replies.
  • 1.  Terraflex: Downloading vector reference layers to the app (Connect), logging intervals

Posted 12-16-2021 11:33
    Edited by Alfred Baldenweck 12-16-2021 12:07
    No replies, thread closed.
    Hi all,
    I think that this should be my last set of questions for a long time.

1. Is there a way to get reference vector files from Connect to the Terraflex app? (There was a question along this line in 2019 that never got answered)
      I found a guide online for ver 4.1, which mentioned a beta feature that you could toggle on by entering 'vectorlayers on' in the email field, then signing in.
      Since we now use Trimble Identity, that isn't an option.
      Did this feature ever make it out of Beta, and if it did, how can I enable it?

2. On a related note, is there a way to change the symbology for vector reference files in Terraflex (Offline)?
      I exported three features for reference and they all showed up the exact same shade of red, making it difficult to determine if I was looking at a property line or a road, for example.

3. Logging Intervals:
      1. I know that if using Terraflex (Offline), the default logging interval is set to 10 positions per point or vertex.
        Is there a way to increase or decrease that, or log past the minimum number of positions?
      2. Similarly, is there a way to set logging intervals for Terraflex (Connect) projects?
        I ask because I seem to remember having my initial tests log for as long as I wanted, and I can't figure out how I did that, if I'm remembering correctly
    4. Final question: Is possible to hide fields in Terraflex for projects created in Positions?
    Thanks!

------------------------------
    Alfred Baldenweck

• 2.  RE: Terraflex: Downloading vector reference layers to the app (Connect), logging intervals

Posted 12-17-2021 09:14
    Hi Alfred,

I will be reaching out in a direct message to answer your questions.

Lane Carter

• 3.  RE: Terraflex: Downloading vector reference layers to the app (Connect), logging intervals
    Best Answer

Posted 12-20-2021 08:40
    For the benefit of all, below are the answers to Alfred's  questions:

1. Is there a way to get reference vector files from Connect to the Terraflex app?

Yes, there are a couple of ways to go about this.

Option 1: You mentioned the BETA feature 'vectorlayers on' - this feature is still in BETA and is still available to customers to use in that capacity. Please contact your local Trimble GIS distributor to get guidance to enable this BETA functionality. Because it is still in BETA, there could be limitations to its operation.

Option 2: If you have a TerraFlex Advanced license, you can use the Tasks/To-Do workflow to select features within the Map Viewer, and create a task/to-do to send to the field. That task or to-do will display those features in TerraFlex Mobile. We have several customers that use it in this manner and simply make the attribute fields read-only so that field workers cannot edit the features if it is meant to be background, reference data.

2. Symbology: We have received the enhancement request for customized or classified symbology, so know that it is in the backlog of items we would like to add in the future. Today, if you wish to differentiate features within background data, I suggest loading them into Map Viewer as different layers, so you can assign different colors that can be distinguished by the field user.

3. Logging intervals:
    a. Right now the default functionality of 10 averaged positions is a set value. There is no way to increase or decrease the averaged positions. However, we are interested in feedback for use cases that require such customization. In our testing and feedback so far, 10 position averaging provides enough information to get a reasonable post-processed result while minimizing the toll on the field user. Does a user or organization gain significant value from the ability to choose how many positions are averaged for a feature?

b. Same answer as above. The 10 positions is a set value. You may be remembering being able to customize or change this averaged position value inside TerraSync field software. A user can set a required accuracy within a form template, but not a required number of averaged positions.

4. In order to make a field hidden to the field user for a project created in Trimble Positions, you can  hide the field within the feature class Properties > 'Fields' tab > uncheck the box that makes a field visible before publishing the TerraFlex project.

Lane Carter