Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Third Party Apps

• 1.  Third Party Apps

Posted 03-11-2022 03:29
    Hi All
    This is my first post.
    I run a small Archaeology Group with very little money to carry out our free Geophysical surveys.
    I have a Catalyst DA1 and would like to connect to an ENTRIP server that is local to me. I bought the machine from Korec and they say to configure to the NTRIP server I must pay a subscription to the Hub before I can do this. To me this is Trimble's way of making sure you pay money to them before you can use the free ENTRIP server.
    Does anyone know a way around this issue. For example could I use a 3rd party app?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Bob

------------------------------
    Robert Williams

• 2.  RE: Third Party Apps

Posted 03-12-2022 08:58
    Robert, you would need to pay for the decimeter or precision subscription depending on your accuracy needs. Keep in mind that this hardware is by far the cheapest solution out there for the money! If you wanted to connect directly to ntrip, then you would have to step up to an R2. Depending on where you are working, you can just pay for the subscription and skip the ntrip connection. Just get corrections over RTX satellite via the Trimble corrections hub.

Zach Edwards

• 3.  RE: Third Party Apps

Posted 03-12-2022 09:19
    Hi Zach

Thanks for the reply.

I bought the Catalyst because we do geophysics and I want to plot the grid corners. Overall it will not be used a lot so £100 batch of 10 hours of corrections will be good for us.

Would you know if it is possible to use the DA1 antenna with another receiver or is it specially made for the Catalyst.

Thanks again for the info.

Bob

Robert Williams

• 4.  RE: Third Party Apps

Posted 03-14-2022 13:39
    Hi Bob

Before you buy the "£100 batch of 10 hours of corrections", you'd be advised to ask about expiry dates - it's fine to buy this package as long as you are sure you will use all or most of the hours before they expire but rather annoying if you buy a £100 then only use half the hours.  Also check whether you need an internet connection to start one of your contract correction hours - if you are working somewhere that you don't have cellular coverage this could get messy.

Norman Smart

• 5.  RE: Third Party Apps

Posted 03-14-2022 13:58
    Norman,

The information you provided isn't correct unless you are referring to the DA1 version. The DA2 supports both cellular and Satellite based subscription's. https://community.trimble.com/blogs/mathias-roehring1/2021/09/21/trimble-catalyst-faqs

Where can Trimble Catalyst be used?

GNSS positioning uses signals coming from space and Trimble Catalyst has to be used outdoors. High-accuracy GNSS systems like Catalyst use a technology called differential corrections to correct position errors in real-time while you work, so there must also be a way for the Catalyst receiver to access this correction data in the field. All Catalyst subscriptions include free access to both Trimble VRS Now and Trimble RTX correction services via the Trimble Corrections Hub (TCH). These Trimble correction services can be delivered via satellite (RTX only) or via a mobile internet connection (both RTX and VRS Now). Catalyst also allows the use of custom local correction services via mobile internet. Using cellular data or data roaming may incur additional charges from your cellular service provider. Check regional Trimble VRSNow and Trimble RTX coverage areas, or talk to your local Trimble distributor about local GNSS corrections options in your region. 

Can Trimble Catalyst work offline?

Yes. An internet connection is required to download the Catalyst license file for your subscription before using the service for the first time, but once you have a license Catalyst can be used offline for up to 30 days, or until your license expires, whichever comes first. If you are using the Catalyst On Demand service, you need to be online to draw down and start a session on your device.

Catalyst GNSS performance is typically faster to converge in online conditions where corrections can be delivered over the internet connection of the connected phone or tablet with a higher bandwidth data connection than when using satellite-delivered corrections. In offline conditions, Catalyst will use corrections from the Trimble RTX service via satellite broadcast. Satellite broadcast RTX also requires line-of-site between the RTX satellite and the Catalyst antenna.

Mel Philbrook

• 6.  RE: Third Party Apps

Posted 03-14-2022 14:24
    Thanks for the link to the Catalyst FAQs, Mel - I have not tried to keep up with Catalyst developments.  Any potential customer would do well to study the FAQs before they commit.

The original question did specifically refer to DA1, but from the FAQs it doesn't look like this makes any difference to subscriptions.  According to the FAQ, the subscription is linked to Username not to the DA1 or DA2.

But my concern about starting a contract hour appears to be valid "If you are using the Catalyst On Demand service, you need to be online to draw down and start a session on your device."

And the point about expiry is also covered by the FAQs:  "Unused hours expire 12 months after the original purchase date."

Norman Smart

• 7.  RE: Third Party Apps

Posted 03-12-2022 10:06

Robert,

The way I explain this to my customers is that DA2 is just low cost Digital antenna. The subscription fee enables that antenna to provide the accuracy that the customer paid or subscribed for. You're not paying for the real-time accuracy. You are paying to have it activated to use either through Trimble Corrections or another NTRIP source.  I like also to explain that just like a backpacker buys an emergency inReach device for $350 dollars. It requires some form of subscription for it to work. Hope that helps explain the technology. 

Mel Philbrook

• 8.  RE: Third Party Apps

Posted 03-14-2022 05:54
    "Would you know if it is possible to use the DA1 antenna with another receiver or is it specially made for the Catalyst."

Are you asking if the DA1 can be used outside of the Trimble subscription-based corrections?
    Are you asking if the DA1 can be used with some other data collector (other than iPhone or Android devices)?

You might also look for an older GPS / GNSS setup such as a 5800, R8 or R8 model 2 receiver and TSC data collector. The R8 model 2 includes GLONASS support if you need that.

Can anyone give a reason why the receiver would have to be as new as an R2 if the customer is willing to use a TSC data collector? I'm open to being wrong on this.

Is it not the case that Trimble is subsidizing the cost of the DA1 receivers in hopes of selling correction subscriptions?

Paul Lohr

• 9.  RE: Third Party Apps

Posted 03-14-2022 12:31
    Hi Paul

Just wondering if the Catalyst antenna could be used with another data collector.

Bob

• 10.  RE: Third Party Apps

Posted 03-14-2022 12:38
    It can be used with another android handheld (assuming that it's a DA1). If it's a DA2, it works with iOS as well without a cabled connection. You would want a relatively new android device and make sure that it meets the minimum specs. https://geospatial.trimble.com/android-device-requirements

Zach Edwards

• 11.  RE: Third Party Apps

Posted 03-14-2022 12:54
    Hi Bob,

The DA1 antenna and the Catalyst service can be seen together as 'a receiver'. You can use the DA1 on any Android device that is capable of running the Catalyst service. You cannot use the DA1 with Windows or iOS devices. See the Catalyst Help Portal for more information.
    Any field software that is 'location aware' (uses Location Services on Android) can take advantage of positions provided to the operating system, from the DA1, via Trimble Mobile Manager. How much information the field software will support will depend on the software in question.

I hope that clarifies things.

Regards,

Mark Kellaway