Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Issue affecting use of Catalyst Service with Samsung Android 11 devices

• 1.  Issue affecting use of Catalyst Service with Samsung Android 11 devices

Posted 08-31-2021 20:07

There is a known issue affecting users of the Catalyst Service with DA1 and certain Samsung phones/tablets with the Android 11 operating system. This issue was first reported in July 2021.

Symptoms:

The issue is observed as a lost connection between the DA1 antenna and the user's Android device.

• E.g. TMM may report: "Connection failed. Your selected GNSS source is being used by another location app" or "Connection problem. Receiver is not responding"

The issue may occur:

• After upgrading to a new Android 11 (or above) phone or tablet. 
    • After upgrading the operating system of an old device to Android 11 (or above).

Affected devices

We understand this issue to be specific to Samsung devices that ship or have been upgraded to the Android v11 operating system. This issue has so far been observed on:

• Samsung Galaxy Note 9 (with Android 11)
    • Samsung Galaxy Note 20 5G (with Android 11)
    • Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 (with Android 11)

Work-arounds

There are no known work-arounds at this time. If possible do not upgrade your Samsung Android phone to Android v11 until further notice.

Status (September 1, 2021)

The root cause has been found to be related to USB communications interrupting the connection between the Catalyst Service app and the DA1 antenna.
    An update to the Trimble Catalyst Service app to work around this issue will be made available as soon as possible. 

The issue is not DA1 hardware related, and  does not harm your phone or DA1 hardware.

It is not a cable/adaptor issue as it is happening on different phone / Catalyst combinations. 

An update to the application software (e.g. TMM) does not fix this specific problem.  Nor does uninstalling & re-installing TMM.

Thank you for your patience.

------------------------------
    Brendon Edge
    Geospatial Support Manager
    Trimble New Zealand

• 2.  RE: Issue affecting use of Catalyst Service with Samsung Android 11 devices
    Best Answer

Posted 09-15-2021 05:15
    For anyone following this thread the latest Catalyst Service update v1.5.2372 [September 15th] has been released to fix this issue
    This is available on Google Play stores now

Tom Harrison

• 3.  RE: Issue affecting use of Catalyst Service with Samsung Android 11 devices

Posted 01-04-2022 00:06
    not work with samsung tab active 3. update applied.

Radoslav Kohut

• 4.  RE: Issue affecting use of Catalyst Service with Samsung Android 11 devices

Posted 01-05-2022 03:56
    Hi Radoslav

I suggest you send the log files through to the Catalyst Support team along with a description of why you are submitting the logs and someone will contact you with what the issue is

Tom Harrison

• 5.  RE: Issue affecting use of Catalyst Service with Samsung Android 11 devices

Posted 03-16-2022 19:46
    We are having an issue I assume is along these lines. We can connect to DA1 through either MM or Terraflex but not both at once. Terraflex used to automatically connect after MM was launched and correction applied. Now Terraflex shows no correction and will not let us connect to DA1 as it is in use by another source. MM will also show this error if Terraflex is launched first. Frustrating as we forfeit on demand time whenever we attempt to connect and are not successful. Log files and explanation have been sent.

Karl Robinson

• 6.  RE: Issue affecting use of Catalyst Service with Samsung Android 11 devices

Posted 03-17-2022 06:30
    Karl,

Hi, a few weeks ago there was an update for Trimble Mobile Manager.

Just yesterday there was an update to TerraFlex.  https://help.trimblegeospatial.com/TerraFlex/Releases.htm

Maybe Brendon and or Tom have something to add to this conversation.

Thanks,

Jay Riester

• 7.  RE: Issue affecting use of Catalyst Service with Samsung Android 11 devices

Posted 03-17-2022 06:52
    Hi Karl

You cannot (and never have been able to) connect to the Catalyst DA1 in both TMM and Terraflex at the same time, only one or the other. 
    Both TMM and Terraflex (and Penmap) use the TPSDK to connect directly to the Catalyst DA1. In simple terms, only one connection is available to be used.

You can connect in TMM then via mock locations have Terraflex use the position, BUT you would need to set the Location in Terraflex to Internal (i.e. the mock location feed) and not the DA1 as this would fail. The same applies the opposite way, If you connect in Terraflex first and try TMM after

If you are a Terraflex user you actually don't need TMM at all. The only scenario would be to start a Catalyst OnDemand session via TMM which does not require you to be connected to the Catalyst DA1

I hope this makes sense

Tom Harrison

• 8.  RE: Issue affecting use of Catalyst Service with Samsung Android 11 devices

Posted 03-17-2022 08:58
    I have found this link to be useful in determining what utility apps are needed and when...

https://geospatial.trimble.com/product-configuration-guide

Katy Rudolph

• 9.  RE: Issue affecting use of Catalyst Service with Samsung Android 11 devices

Posted 03-22-2022 13:32
    Thank you all for the replies and input.

I will be changing our handover to reflect this. I guess why I thought thought that TMM had to be connected was because I could get Fixed RTK every time in TMM but Terraflex would sit around 1.5m (not always mind you). After some more investigation I believe the accuracy in Terraflex is likely a mobile data speed/connectivity issue. 

anyway I have managed to finish the current project. Thanks again

Karl Robinson

• 10.  RE: Issue affecting use of Catalyst Service with Samsung Android 11 devices

Posted 04-25-2022 17:25
    Karl,

Chiming in a bit late here but make sure that you have the DA1 set as the location provider in TerraFlex with Trimble Corrections Hub as the correction source. There should be no difference in your accuracy between running in TMM and TerraFlex independently if setup correctly.

Zach Edwards