Trimble Connect User Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

What do you think of the new Connect community?

• 1.  What do you think of the new Connect community?

Posted 12-05-2020 20:10
    We have transitioned to a new site to host our Community page. Would love to hear your feedback and any issues you many have so we can pass them along to get resolved. 

-------
    Laura Cook
    Product Manager
    Trimble Connect 

• 2.  RE: What do you think of the new Connect community?

Posted 12-11-2020 01:26
      |   view attached
    Hello, I have an issue/question:

Every single time I sign in the community website, I can't access the content of the Trimble Connect Community (Threads, libriaries etc...).
    I first have to join the community, give again my email address and choose the mailing thing (see image attached).
    It is quite annoying, am I the only one to have this problem?
    Thanks,

------------------------------
    Olivier Pellegrin

• 3.  RE: What do you think of the new Connect community?

Posted 12-11-2020 04:40
    Hi @Olivier Pellegrin

The new platform requires you to Join each community individually before you can access the content - we (Trimble Connect) have three Communities :
    Trimble Connect User Forum 
    Trimble Connect Knowledge Center
    Trimble Connect API Integrators

If you have already joined the communities and then have to rejoin the communities each time you sign in then this is a bug and i can report that to the host of this site. Can you confirm if this is the case?

Laura Cook

• 4.  RE: What do you think of the new Connect community?

Posted 12-11-2020 07:56
    Hello Laura, thank you for your quick answer.
    Yes it is the case for me.

Olivier Pellegrin

• 5.  RE: What do you think of the new Connect community?

Posted 12-11-2020 08:00
    No problem Olivier. I have reported the issue to the host of the site. Hopefully they can fix this issue quickly. I will let you know if i hear any updates on the issue.

Laura Cook

• 6.  RE: What do you think of the new Connect community?

Posted 01-13-2021 11:36
    Hi @Olivier Pellegrin

Can you confirm if you are still having this issue?

Laura Cook

• 7.  RE: What do you think of the new Connect community?

Posted 01-21-2021 05:10
    Edited by Higher Logic System 01-22-2021 13:10
    Hi @Laura Anne Niemuth, Yes I am still having this issue to this day. I had to join again the community just to reply to your message...

Olivier Pellegrin

• 8.  RE: What do you think of the new Connect community?

Posted 12-14-2020 12:47
    I'm probably just getting old, but my first impression of the new page is that its difficult and non-intuitive to navigate.  I am however finding my way around clumsily and without confidence.  If I'm the only one in that boat then I'll get by, otherwise it might be beneficial to have a simple concise tutorial if there isn't one already.

Some things I have yet to figure out, at least after a quick once-over:
    * Can I "follow" specific people so as to be notified whenever they post anything anywhere?
    * Figure out why I always receive the "consolidated digest" email twice, and why the two emails usually contain the same threads but sometimes one email has one different thing in it.
    * How to figure out what posts are 'unread' or new since the last time I visited

Wayne Welshans

• 9.  RE: What do you think of the new Connect community?

Posted 12-14-2020 13:12
    Hi @Wayne Welshans​, 

1. I dont believe there is a tutorial available (we are all learning how to use the site together) - but you can find a list of FAQs here (at the bottom part of the page)
      (Some of the features still have some bugs they are working out - so that could be a result of why some things aren't working).

2. Following a person i think is not possible at the moment (i think it is because of some bugs in the system) 
    3. As for the duplicate email notifications - it could be related to your email preferences:

This can be changed  in your profile under preferences 
    4. I dont think they have a feature to show unread posts - although it would be helpful if they did!

Thanks for providing your feedback! 

Laura Cook

• 10.  RE: What do you think of the new Connect community?

Posted 12-16-2020 13:44
    I had threads bookmarked though the forum site tools.  Are they now gone?  I can't find them.

NICK LAPENSEE

• 11.  RE: What do you think of the new Connect community?

Posted 12-16-2020 14:16
    Hi @NICK LAPENSEE,

Not sure I completely understand your question. When you say forum site tool - are you referring to the old community site?

I dont think it's possible to follow discussion posts / questions in this new platform.

If the bookmarks were for library pages or blog posts - you can follow those pages ​(in this new platform) but i dont think that info was migrated over. If you were bookmarking library pages or blog posts - if you list them I can try to help you find the new pages. All the old URLs from the old site are not the same in this new platform unfortunately.

Laura Cook

• 12.  RE: What do you think of the new Connect community?

Posted 12-21-2020 06:33

Hola Laura 

I was waiting to see if this new site was going to fill the previous contributions but nothing so far.

Where are all my previous posts?  Were they deleted?

As Trimble Distributor for Geopatial, Infrastructure, eCognition, INPHO, PenMap, Marine Construction now I am not a member of distributor groups as I was before, how and when will this be fixed?

Alexander Holsteinson

• 13.  RE: What do you think of the new Connect community?

Posted 12-21-2020 07:59

Hi Alexander, 

Unfortunately the migration to this new platform did not go as smoothly as they had intended. There is about a month of content (across all the communities) that has yet to be migrated. They havent given us a timeline of when they expect the remainder of the content to be moved over (so that could be one reason you are not seeing some of your contributions).

I did however see you have 36 contributions listed under your profile - are you expecting more that this? 

As for losing access to previously joined communities - there was an issue with the migration where mapping of users did not happen correctly. I think most users were not automatically added to the same communities in this new system. From conversations I have had with the host - they have done the best they could and any users not mapped to the communities will have to rejoin. I am not too familiar with how the distributor communities are managed - but it appears you have to be invited to the community (and are not able to freely join). To be added back to your previous communities, you can: 

• Request access to the groups by contacting the Admins for those particular communities
    • Send an email to community_manager@trimble.com and notify them which groups you had access to previously  and ask for assistance in being added back (in case you don't know who the admins are)

Hope this helps!

Laura Cook

• 14.  RE: What do you think of the new Connect community?

Posted 12-21-2020 08:15

Hi Laura thanks for your response

Indeed I should have more than 100 responses in the TBC Beta User Group...

Will keep waiting for uploading the new website

Also will contact to join again my distributor communities.

Best

Alex

Alexander Holsteinson

• 15.  RE: What do you think of the new Connect community?

Posted 01-04-2021 19:31
    Happy 2021 Laura 

Any advances migrating all the posts from the old site??

I still not member of geospatial, infrastracture, INPHO, eCognition, RTN distributor communities... I emailed but nobody responded

Best regards

Alex

Alexander Holsteinson

• 16.  RE: What do you think of the new Connect community?

Posted 01-05-2021 01:53
    Hi @Alexander Holsteinson

Happy 2021 :)

No updates on content migration so far. I have a meeting scheduled later today with the community provider and will try to see if I can get the contacts for those communities for you and will hopefully have an update on when they expect to have the data migration complete.

Laura Cook

• 17.  RE: What do you think of the new Connect community?

Posted 12-30-2020 14:58

Hi Laura, 

I appreciate you asking for feedback. Unfortunately I'd be very surprised if any of it is positive. I for one could not be more disappointed, the forum has lost all it's useful features and is but a shell of it's former self. This has resulted in an obvious decline in engagement. I'd like to ask why changing the site's web host would necessitate any change at all in it's format, let alone a complete overhaul to something that is vastly less user friendly along with nearly a complete loss in user data migration, IE: contributions, bookmarks, even joined communities have been lost; not to mention the inability to get a notification for replies to threads engaged in without getting notified for EVERY single post made on the site multiple times through email, ect... I can't think of any reason what so ever for such a thing short of a very disappointing mistake, certainly not a of changing web hosts. Unfortunately, I (and many others it seems) will be participating far less if at all as a result of this mistake.

• 18.  RE: What do you think of the new Connect community?

Posted 01-04-2021 01:34
    Laura,

Thank you for asking for feedback.

Unfortunately, I agree with other users. The interface is very unintuitive and basically does not resemble any type or form of a typical community forum. It's hard to navigate on the site and track any new information. I appreciate the effort of trying something new though.

Piotr Napiorkowski

• 19.  RE: What do you think of the new Connect community?

Posted 01-05-2021 01:28
    Edited by Alexandre Collin 01-05-2021 02:21
    Laura,

It's just a detail, but we can't add an image in the middle of a line of text with the text editor.
    The image is automatically returned to the line.

"See in this example to better understand"

Do you have a solution?

Alex.

• 20.  RE: What do you think of the new Connect community?

Posted 01-05-2021 01:46
    Hi @steve schuler - i appreciate your feedback. To answer your question, the old community site (JIVE) was purchased by a company and they decided to shut down the site so we (Trimble) didnt have a choice in finding a new host/forum provider. This unfortunately has resulted in a loss of a lot of the great features from JIVE.

I am working with this new provider to improve the user experience so I will relay your feedback to see what we can get done to make the experience better.

Laura Cook

• 21.  RE: What do you think of the new Connect community?

Posted 01-20-2021 12:26
    Laura, thanks for your kind reply. I certainly don't envy the position this has put you in. I finally found a couple of the most useful threads I had book marked, only to have dagger of migration twisted when I saw 50% of photos and 100% of videos some containing the most useful information on this forum are gone with only a missing image icon with a dead link to a 404 page in there place. It seems even newly posted videos suffer this same fate. RIP TBC User Forum.

steve schuler

• 22.  RE: What do you think of the new Connect community?

Posted 01-05-2021 01:49
      |   view attached
    Hi @Alexandre Collin,

Please see the attached video for demonstration​. Hope this helps!

Laura Cook

• 23.  RE: What do you think of the new Connect community?

Posted 01-05-2021 02:23
    Edited by Alexandre Collin 01-05-2021 02:26
    It doesn't work once you record ! 
    Example image

Alex.

• 24.  RE: What do you think of the new Connect community?

Posted 01-05-2021 02:34
    Bummer! Ok I will see if this is something that can be fixed.

Laura Cook

• 25.  RE: What do you think of the new Connect community?

Posted 07-02-2021 00:50
    Hi Laura, 

On the "Trimble Connect Product Update" web page, can you add the date of the update release in addition to the version number?
    Thanks,

Alex.

• 26.  RE: What do you think of the new Connect community?

Posted 07-02-2021 03:19
    Hi Alexandre,
    The Product updates with release dates can be found here.
    Could you please check if this helps you.

Regards

Darshan Rajaram Kamat