Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Buying an older Trimble system

• 1.  Buying an older Trimble system

Posted 09-17-2023 16:47

Hi,

I'm a Geophysicist / Engineer who uses GPS to obtain coordinates for identified anomalies and such, where sub-meter (+/- 2-ft) accuracy is sufficient.

My 2005 GeoXH was working just fine, until it was made obsolete by last month's WRNO and Trimble's notice that they don't support this system anymore.

I'm looking for a NEWER GPS system that won't be discontinued in the next 5-10 years and am wondering what other used Trimble systems exist that I can buy, where the techical support won't be discontinued as it was for my 2005 GeoXH.  I recently tried the Geo7x and got very good accuracies, but am wondering HOW MUCH LONGER will it be supported?

Any reliable feedback as to WHICH OLDER SYSTEM to buy with a 5-10 year support lifeline is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Brett

------------------------------
    Brett Smith, PE
    Managing Principal
    ECA Geophysics
    www.ecageophysics.com

• 2.  RE: Buying an older Trimble system

Posted 09-18-2023 07:27

Brett, generally speaking, we tell our customers five years is a good timeline on a product like this. Especially, if it's being used quite a bit. To be honest, I would not recommend running  2005 Geo for over 8 years at this point. With that legacy operating system and numerous GPS factors, it's a ticking time bomb. The Geo7x has also been discontinued (again Windows Mobile) but it's a solid option if you are looking for something used. Terrasync and Pathfinder office have also been deprecated so you would want to make sure the used unit comes with the Terrasync software. If you already have Pathfinder office, you should be good to go, but may need to move to a later version. again, expecting 10 years out of equipment like this is not reasonable in my opinion. while many folks have been able to make their equipment last a decade, that's not true for the majority.

Zach Edwards