Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Create Waypoint with pathfinder office 5.85 - for GEO 7X GPS - Windows 10 problem

• 1.  Create Waypoint with pathfinder office 5.85 - for GEO 7X GPS - Windows 10 problem

Posted 05-26-2022 10:34

Been using same method to create waypoints for my Geo 7X GPS for 10 yrs. 

I had (still have) Windows 7 computer - Office 2013 and Pathfinder office 5.85. 
    Now I have a Windows 10 with probably Office 365 - same pathfinder office. 

Since i have my new computer, it dosent work (and I want to know why).  

1st I have a shapefile (ArcGis 10.3) with my points (coordinates).  I open the .dbf with Excel and export it  in " note pad"  - Text (separator: tabulation)
    I modify the text file to fit pathfinder office. 
    I open pathfinder office and I import ASCII 
    It works when i do everything in windows 7, not working in windows 10. 

In windows 10, a strange letter appears in pathfinder office.  (you can check the 2 pictures of the same file)

Brendon Edge tip me (thanks) as the notepad is now encoded in UTF-8 (Windows 10) and not in ANSI (as Windows 7).  

So I changed the .txt in ANSI and though it works (The strange character disapear), when I press ok, its always saying : - "invalid format at first line"  (Windows 10 computer)

I take the exact same file. I use the pathfinder office with my Windows 7 computer.  Works perfectly. 

I can keep the Windows 7 computer for a while, but someday I'll have to use the new one. 

anyone has a tip for me 

Thanks

------------------------------
    Daniel Plante

• 2.  RE: Create Waypoint with pathfinder office 5.85 - for GEO 7X GPS - Windows 10 problem

Posted 06-11-2022 04:57
    Sounds like you still saving from Excel in UTF-8.
    If so you might see the Unicode Byte Order Mark as in the first line of the file which causes the error, it looks like this:    
    If it's there you can simply delete that line, but better to save in the right format.
    Exactly which option are you selecting when "saving as" from Excel? There are a number of choices.

John Winkler