Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

 View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Catalyst and TDC600

  • 1.  Catalyst and TDC600

    Posted 07-19-2022 15:29
    Hi All,

    I need the benefit of your collective knowledge.

    I am currently looking to purchase the DA2 and the TDC600.

    I am being told by the distributor that I will also need to purchase their in-house data capture software at a cost of £500/year.

    Is this correct? If not what is the easiest way to capture and retain the lat/long/elevation data that want to record?



    Matt Brazier

  • 2.  RE: Catalyst and TDC600

    Posted 07-20-2022 11:45
    The DA2 receiver only works with a Catalyst subscription appropriate to the level of precision you want and whether you want it yearly, monthly or in a bank of hours. Catalyst provides satellite-based real time corrections. It works with many different applications for data collection. TerraFlex (subscription), PenMap (one-time purchase), esri Collector App (soon to be extinct), esri Field Maps (depending on your esri licensing), esri Survey 123 (esri licensing), esri Quick Capture (esri licensing).

    Kennie Harris

  • 3.  RE: Catalyst and TDC600

    Posted 07-21-2022 07:49

    I'd kick the TDC600 into touch and buy a few Samsung tablets to run your software, expensive waste of time.



    Dave Humphreys

    EES Practice Lead
    RPS | Energy
    Level 13, 420 George Street
    Sydney NSW 2000, Australia
    +61 2 8099 3200 +61 2 8099 3299
    +61 2 8099 3412 +61 456 600 049

    Follow us on: | LinkedIn | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube

    We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of Country throughout Australia and recognise their continuing connection to land, waters 
    and community. We pay our respect to them and their cultures and to Elders past and present. 

    Click here to find out more about our Reconciliation Action Plan.


    This e-mail message and any attached file is the property of the sender and is sent in confidence to the addressee only.

    Internet communications are not secure and RPS is not responsible for their abuse by third parties, any alteration or corruption in transmission or for any loss or damage caused by a virus or by any other means.

    RPS Group Plc, company number: 208 7786 (England). Registered office: 20 Western Avenue Milton Park Abingdon Oxfordshire OX14 4SH.

    RPS Group Plc web link:

  • 4.  RE: Catalyst and TDC600

    Posted 07-22-2022 07:11
    I would disagree with Dave here. You can save money by using a lower cost app or open source but i would not try to save money on the data collector. The TDC600 is rock solid and has a 3 year warranty running android 10 and is about 1.5m' internal. It's fixed at android 10 and will not move forward. We have had a lot of customers have issues in using one of the million android (samsung, LG, Kyocera, etc.) devices out there. I would say 60% of the time there are no issues but it's not worth the chance of falling in that 40%. You'll have heat/ issues with a non-ruggedized that you wouldn't have with the TDC600. Not to mention battery life, OS updates, etc. My advice is not to be penny-wise and pound-foolish here. I have seen it burn folks time and time again. What is your time worth? Surely more than the difference between the TDC 600 cost and an android tablet. I do see Dave's argument here and it's probably because his tablets have worked without a hitch but that's not always the case.

    Zach Edwards

  • 5.  RE: Catalyst and TDC600

    Posted 07-22-2022 07:22
    In Aus we only got 1 years warranty! If it should have been 3 I'll check again. 

    Dave Humphreys

    EES Practice Lead
    RPS | Energy 
    Level 13, 255 Pitt Street
    Sydney NSW 2000, Australia
     +61 2 8099 3200  +61 2 8099 3299 
     +61 2 8099 3412  +61 456 600 049


    Follow us on: | LinkedIn | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube

  • 6.  RE: Catalyst and TDC600

    Posted 07-22-2022 17:46
    Yup. It's a 3 year manufacturer warranty.

    Zach Edwards

  • 7.  RE: Catalyst and TDC600

    Posted 07-22-2022 07:23
    Ok it may have a 3 year warranty but it's useless if the Company you buy your Trimble from has bad after sales service. I have had experience of this recently and would never buy any product from them again.

  • 8.  RE: Catalyst and TDC600

    Posted 07-22-2022 07:30
    I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. That is not the experience that the lion share of our customer's experience. We spend a decent amount of time training and engaging in post-sales support to ensure a positive experience but I get that's not always the case. Regardless, I wish you the best of luck in your mapping/surveying efforts!

    Zach Edwards

  • 9.  RE: Catalyst and TDC600

    Posted 07-22-2022 07:36
    Thought I might chime in a little here. The first series of TDC600 had some connection and compatibility with cell providers making the ability to use cell service difficult. The older version continues to work great using mifi devices as a connection source (so in that respect the dual sim card was a little useless). The newest version of the 600 has more compatibility in the US at least and our customers haven't experienced any issues to date using them on cell carriers. They do hold up well and agree with the battery sentiment. I have six of my own and like using them as controllers for R2s over cell phones.

    Kara O'Neill, GISP

  • 10.  RE: Catalyst and TDC600

    Posted 07-22-2022 23:40
    Hi Zach

    I sense that you are in the US.

    My issue was with a well known Trimble seller in the UK.


  • 11.  RE: Catalyst and TDC600

    Posted 07-22-2022 07:54
    Edited by Tom Harrison 07-26-2022 03:31
    I simply dont see where are the huge savings and ROI of subscription for everything business model for our end users.   

    DA2/Catalyst still doesnt has an internal battery nor can generate raw data logging, so no static surveys yet, plus if you add 1700 per access GNSS + 1700 for RTX 1cm per year and any other subscription per year plus the cost of the hardware in 2 to 3 years you buy a perpetual high end RTK system with raw data logging.     Trimble should keep offering both perpetual and subscription schemes

    Alexander Holsteinson

  • 12.  RE: Catalyst and TDC600

    Posted 07-24-2022 18:40

    I haven't been thrilled with Trimble equipment since the days of the Geo7x.

    Here is a question: why does the TDC600 and TDC650 come with a 4G cellular radio while 5G is very common? 

    Paul Lohr

  • 13.  RE: Catalyst and TDC600

    Posted 07-26-2022 03:46
    Hi @Matt Brazier

    You can use pretty much ANY app from the play store with Catalyst by connecting the DA2 in TMM and enabling mock location sharing.
    If you leave this all connected in TMM then open your 3rd party app it should just use the GNSS position feed shared via TMM.
    The help section Location sharing with other apps gives more details

    Otherwise is all you are looking for is a lat/lon/hae or MSL you might want to take a look at the UAV Ground Control app - which is designed to do this for UAV ground control applications.
    This will only output in lat/lon but you can setup a local geoid in TMM via the GNSS configuration page. The deliverable is a simple csv you can share however you want from the device

    Tom Harrison