Trimble Connect User Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Polygon within polygon appears filled in on unit when it should be transparent TDC600

• 1.  Polygon within polygon appears filled in on unit when it should be transparent TDC600

Posted 11-05-2023 08:14

So in arcgis and trimble connect the area in question looks like this (what we want):

However on the UNIT (TDC600) it looks like this (what we don't want):
    Please advise.

------------------------------
    davidrue@rueenv.com davidrue@rueenv.com

• 2.  RE: Polygon within polygon appears filled in on unit when it should be transparent TDC600

Posted 11-07-2023 07:57

This is in TerraFlex right? Trimble Support says that this will always happen when displaying polygons with holes in them in TerraFlex. It should be getting fixed in the next version of TerraFlex though!

Kaeli Mueller

• 3.  RE: Polygon within polygon appears filled in on unit when it should be transparent TDC600

Posted 12-06-2023 08:02

Hi Kaeli,

Any idea when the next version of Terraflex will be rolled out? Our company is experiencing this issue too. Except in our case the polygon is only partially rendering. It's creating confusion on site.

Greg

Greg Hil

• 4.  RE: Polygon within polygon appears filled in on unit when it should be transparent TDC600

Posted 12-11-2023 08:50

Hi Greg,

I'm not sure when this issue will get fixed. There is an updated version of TerraFlex coming soon because it is in the Early Access testing phase, but I'm not sure if this version will have the fix for this polygon issue.

-Kaeli

Kaeli Mueller

• 5.  RE: Polygon within polygon appears filled in on unit when it should be transparent TDC600

Posted 01-12-2024 08:50

Firstly. I want to thank you for posting you "issue" about the display in Trimble Connect regarding "polygon within polygon" as I believe it assisted me in a recent issue I was experiencing regarding the display of a models on my desktop computer vs display after uploading to Trimble Connect.

I had used the ValiArchitect Extension/plugin for windows/doors in a particular model. The desktop version appeared fine. Uploaded to TC and the windows/doors created with ValiArchitect appeared to have transparent or "cut-through" geometry filled with original material rather than transparent or "cut" as displayed in the desktop software version of SketchUp.

Your post lead me to test out "exploding" a window as a test. Initially, I only exploded an exterior window, uploaded that version and compared to the initial upload. There was an obvious difference.

Original desktop model view 
    Uploaded TC model view

I went back and exploded the interior view of that same window. Voila! I could then see through the window as intended (and as seen in the desktop model).

Uploaded TC model view after window exterior exploded (in desktop)
    Exploded interior of same window on desktop then uploaded to TC...
    Uploaded TC model after interior and exterior of window exploded

A few more test uploads and a subsequent download of the original file (to see if it displayed as intended in the desktop software after uploading then downloading - all appeared as displayed in the original file).

Ultimately, I tagged all windows & doors  with the same tag (layer), selected "All Tagged" then commenced to Explode again and again and again until it was demolished (kidding)...until each was exploded (it appears I may have missed a few but that shall be rectified soon):

desktop exploded windows/doors then uploaded to TC - transparency rectified
    Not an ideal workflow but sufficient for the time being until software compatibility issues can be rectified!
    (It certainly did take a bit longer to "convert" the model in TC with doors/windows exploded.
    Next I believe I'll Select All Tagged, group and then give it a go again for my own testing purposes (and hopefully minimize any lag due to file size)/
    I'd love to hear any thoughts on the "issue" - suggestions welcome!!
    Sharelle Quick
    ZingleMedia
    ResultantsCo
    Admitted Nerdy Dork!
    (Begging forgiveness for typos, especially those which occur post midnight in present time zone!) 0:-)

Sharelle Quick

• 6.  RE: Polygon within polygon appears filled in on unit when it should be transparent TDC600

Posted 01-12-2024 08:58

Hopefully this is not a duplicate response as I spent a significant amount of time in assembling screenshots and documenting my process only to press the POST button and POOF - it vanished. One can only guess if it may populate as it could be currently affected by geomagnetic activity and populate based on Kp-index levels at... Oh NEVERMIND! :-D

(**Note to self - COPY a typed, detailed comment prior to clicking Post just in case the geomagnetic activity is increased and the Post is forever lost OR it's in the space portal known as a dryer along with missing socks!!) 

Summary of previous detailed (disappearing) comment:

Thanks for the post about "polygon within polygon" - I do believe it aided me in getting to a work-around of sorts in regards to a recent issue encountered with use of  ValiArchitect Extension/plugin (which is fabulous BTW) and the developer, Chuck, has been most helpful!).

I used the extension for creation on numerous windows/doors while playing around with a design concept. Things appeared as expected in the desktop version. Once uploaded to TC there were some visibility issues.
    The doors/windows didn't seem to cut through materials - essentially, what should have been transparent was not in any way, shape or form.

This post aided me in getting to a work-around (until the powers that be get to the root of the matter).

The topic of "polygon within polygon" sent me in the direction of EXPLODING a window created with the aforementioned Extension.  Brief summary, primarily in images, of the last several hours follows: 

VIEWS - (desktop/TC cloud)

Desktop screenshot exterior - window transparency
    TC screenshot exterior - window transparency (not)
    Select a single window (exterior view) in uploaded model - EXPLODE (desktop version displayed as expected/desired) - re-uploaded:
    Single window exterior component EXPLODED - change in material cut-through
    Same window with interior view exploded (re-uploaded)
    Same single window (interior view) in uploaded model . Exploded in desktop and re-uploaded
    Ultimately, selected all windows/doors created with VA Extension and tagged, Select All Tagged, Explode until demolished!! (KIDDING)
    Uploaded (though realized I missed a couple interior "groups" in a few windows) - Windows are transparent as desired/intended!
    Exploded groups and components in desktop and re-uploaded - transparency achieved!
    Not the ideal workflow process but a temporary solution nonetheless. Upload and conversion time was a bit more lengthy with the exploded segments. I'll likely Select All Tagged again then Group in an attempt to test additionally and reduce some lag time.
    Any thought or suggestions are welcome!

Sharelle Quick