Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

TBC 3D Machine Avoidance Zone

• 1.  TBC 3D Machine Avoidance Zone

Posted 03-17-2020 23:24

How do you create a 3D machine avoidance zone and upload it to Trimble earthworks

1. 4m Around the overhead electric line

2. 5m off the edge of the live rail 

• 2.  Re: TBC 3D Machine Avoidance Zone

Posted 03-18-2020 07:10

Unfortunately you can't. Trimble Earthworks only support 2D avoidance zones.

• 3.  Re: TBC 3D Machine Avoidance Zone

• 4.  Re: TBC 3D Machine Avoidance Zone

Posted 03-18-2020 11:50

That looks like some custom software they created for that project. Definitely not earthworks. 

• 5.  Re: TBC 3D Machine Avoidance Zone

Posted 03-18-2020 13:35

Hi Gavin,

Lasse and Matthew can correct me but Trimble Marine construction is a standalone program. It probably uses same sensors as Earthworks but not connected to the Earthworks program. TMC program looks very similar as PDS2000 that also can use same sensors as Earthworks (Trimble) but completely different program.

• 6.  Re: TBC 3D Machine Avoidance Zone

Posted 03-18-2020 14:05

Didn't the press release stated that they installed dual mast GPS on a crane?

If that's the case than they could have defined hook or boom or bottom of the load as the "cutting edge" and have simple, template based 3D model for the 3D avoidance zone.

"Onboard, a touch screen shows the driver a 3D view of the crane boom’s proximity to the closest conductor and the closest section of the safety envelope... "

You're in FILL, your'e safe with fill value showing vert. dist from the "3D avoidance zone".

Energised power lines could be alignments providing real time offsets.

Doesn't transpire to me that they were using 3D model + 3D avoidance.

But that is just my guess.

• 7.  Re: TBC 3D Machine Avoidance Zone

Posted 03-19-2020 17:41

We used TMC with Trimble SPS855/555H and LR sensors on the cranes in Wellington.  The primary antenna on the end of the boom and the heading on the cab.  We then created line models of the powerlines in their highest (lowest elevation) potential sag state and positions if the wind had made them swing then had an avoidance zone from these lines to any point of a 3d model of the crane.  You can choose two different alarm zones, one say 10m from zone and one 5m from zone. 

It is possible to use the EC520 to provide position information to TMC but not Earthworks itself.

• 8.  Re: TBC 3D Machine Avoidance Zone

Posted 03-19-2020 16:47

This is one for the Machine guys to answer. Last week at ConExpo they were showing some Augmented Reality stuff on the machine that may help here (Read SiteVision in the Cab on Earthworks) so you can see Virtual Utilities in the 3D Graphics of a Machine. 

They will have to answer what is possible today or coming soon, as I don't have all the latest info in that area.

Alan

• 9.  Re: TBC 3D Machine Avoidance Zone

Posted 03-19-2020 17:13

Thanks, Alan

Just to let you know that the subcontractor has upgraded his trimble earthworks machine control with TMC 3d avoidance (get fitted in the next couple of weeks)

We are just trying to set up the files ready for export to TMC / Earthworks

• 10.  RE: Re: TBC 3D Machine Avoidance Zone

Posted 03-06-2023 11:02
    Edited by Mujahid Fazil 03-06-2023 21:57

• 11.  RE: Re: TBC 3D Machine Avoidance Zone

Posted 03-06-2023 11:02

Hi Gavin,

We also received plenty of this type of questions whether Trimble Earthwork got 3D avoidance zone or not. Based on your last post here, can you update us how your subcontractor status now. I mean did they manage to get 3D avoidance zone working together with Trimble Earthwork? How it work (TMC sensor, software).

Really appreciate your reply.

------------------------------
    Mujahid Fazil

• 12.  RE: Re: TBC 3D Machine Avoidance Zone

Posted 03-07-2023 12:52

Hi Gavin.

I'll ask Paul Miller to get in touch with you on this. He can cover the file types they were sending to TMC to set up the avoidance zones etc.

Dwayne Rosie

• 13.  RE: Re: TBC 3D Machine Avoidance Zone

Posted 03-07-2023 23:19

check out this link

Digital shields | KiwiRail

Gavin Jones

• 14.  RE: Re: TBC 3D Machine Avoidance Zone

Posted 03-08-2023 04:23

Yes, this was put together by SITECH NZ by Paul Miller and the team. In short, Earthworks is running normally in the background with GNSS guidance etc to give accurate positioning to the excavator bucket. Earthworks then outputs some positional data to Trimble Marine Construction (TMC) as this allows more customised functionality to occur in TMC in this instance. TMC loads the 'design' which in this case is the avoidance zone. If the excavator hits the avoidance zone, TMC sends a message to a hydraulic valve they've installed with a third party (sorry I can't remember the brand) and that stops the machine from encroaching on the avoidance zone. Shoot me an email dwayne_rosie@trimble.com or call me +61 417 564 214 if you want to chat further on this. I will be recommending you loop in SITECH NZ as they have the local knowledge and experience on this one.

Dwayne Rosie

• 15.  RE: TBC 3D Machine Avoidance Zone

Posted 03-08-2023 11:33

GCS900 v11 had 3D Avoidance Zones, but I was told they were never released for liability reasons.

Nelson Hays