Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

TDC650 and Trimble Installation Manager

• 1.  TDC650 and Trimble Installation Manager

Posted 11-22-2023 09:07

Our organization has several hundred TDC650's. For the most part, these work wonderfully for most of the needs. Recently, several devices have been unable to connect to the Integrated Receiver. These are on devices that are stored safely and handled with care. The first indication is that the 3rd party software that utilizes the Trimble Precision SDK states that it cannot reach the antenna. Opening Trimble Mobile Manager with no other apps open, we are unable to get connected to the Antenna. Closing TMM and opening Trimble Installation Manager, the app opens, verifies the version then goes to Connecting to Receiver. At that point, one of several things happens. One, the app may force close, or it may say Failed to detect receiver. In some cases, it states "Fail to Change the baud rate at 11500Bds". This is on previously fully functioning devices with no damage, drops or anything. TIM Version 1.70.136, Receiver when I could see it previously, it was on 4.33. TMM is on version 3.1.2.1407 and it is connected to the integrated receiver.. the device is updated to the September Android Security update. I cannot see any update that comes through that could have caused this. We are using SOTI MDM, but this happens on random devices and doesn't affect others. Essentially the device is rendered useless.  

Baud Rate error

------------------------------
    Matthew Tackett

• 2.  RE: TDC650 and Trimble Installation Manager

Posted 11-22-2023 09:53

Hi Matthew

If you have recently updated the GNSS firmware via TIM? 

If so then you'll need to do the following to resolve this

1. Download an app called GNSS Loader via the Play store
    2. Launch GNSS Loader and allow all permissions
    3. Select Upgrade Firmware
    4. Select the *.tar file you downloaded in step #1
    5. After the firmware installs go to the ABOUT menu and check the version is 4.33 
    6. Exit the application and retry connecting in TMM ensuring you are not already connected in any other apps

I would also encourage you reach out to your local Trimble reseller who will be able to guide you through this process

Tom Harrison

• 3.  RE: TDC650 and Trimble Installation Manager

Posted 11-22-2023 11:15

I'll check with our reseller. We had ordered from two resellers one in Ohio and one in Texas, but we manage the devices centrally from Ohio to 10 other States. The devices are locked down so that users cannot easily access the settings. I physically have a device with me in this case, and the instructions provided have not worked. Sits at File Copy in progress with no progress. Going to let it sit for an hour or two, but I wouldn't think that should be needed by the size of this file. The firmware in GNSS loader already shows it is on 4.33 which may be why there is no progress? I guess I am confused now on why use GNSS loader vs Trimble Installation Manager. Do we even need TIM installed on the devices? Is GNSS Loader more stable in installing the updates to the receiver? GNSS Loader seems to be able to maintain the Precision options, RTX Subscription and the Firmware update. We generally do not use the device with a Trimble created controller and only use TIM to maintain the licenses and Firmware on the integrated Receiver.

Matthew Tackett

• 4.  RE: TDC650 and Trimble Installation Manager

Posted 11-22-2023 12:07

A complete Factory Reset was able to restore the connection to the Receiver. 

Matthew Tackett

• 5.  RE: TDC650 and Trimble Installation Manager

Posted 11-23-2023 04:46

HI Matthew

GNSS Loader was required to reset the baud rate to the rate required to communicate with the Integrated GNSS receiver. Without going into too much detail, we have a baud rate to perform GNSS firmware updates and a different rate for GNSS comms.

The screen grab indicated that post FW update TIM had not changed the baud back to the rate for GNSS comms (or at least that was my guess)  and this was why you could not connect to the Integrated GNSS with TMM

Aside from this specific Issue, no, GNSS Loader is not normally required to be Installed or used. You have TIM to apply configuration options and FW upgrades and TMM for GNSS configuration and mock location sharing with 3rd party apps.

This community is a good place to share information/ questions but some Issues require a more formal process to work through so always utilise your local Trimble reseller If you can't find the information on these platforms. Your reseller will have knowledge and tools not available in the public domain to help provide advanced level technical support

Glad to hear the reset got you going eventually and sorry for any inconvenience 

Tom Harrison