Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Trimble GEO XH keypad locks up

• 1.  Trimble GEO XH keypad locks up

Posted 09-05-2023 12:51

This seems to happen a lot more in hot weather. Data collection will be going fine for many points but then when done is pressed, the Trimble keeps collecting data (it keeps beeping). This takes multiple tries and will eventually stop. It seems that holding the unit upside down and covering it helps a bit, but often the numbers on the keypad also freeze up. We have found that changing the screen cover helps a bit. Is the unit over heating? How can we stop wasting time waiting for the gps to stop collecting data? This always happens when we are in a canoe on a lake and we end up drifting while the gps is still beeping. I don't think this has ever happened on land in the shade. Any ideas?

------------------------------
    Sandy Kubillus

• 2.  RE: Trimble GEO XH keypad locks up

Posted 09-06-2023 15:16

I don't believe I've seen anything matching this description, but a bit more information may help someone diagnose the problem:

• What do you mean by "hot weather" - do you have any idea what the temperature was?
    • What model of Geo XH?  Geo 7x / Geo6000 / Geo3000 / Geo2008?
    • What OS version and GNSS firmware?
    • What application were you using?
    • Any real-time corrections?

To see if it is an overheating problem, you could try using an external antenna and keep the Geo in the shade so it isn't heated by the sun.

Norman Smart

• 3.  RE: Trimble GEO XH keypad locks up

Posted 09-07-2023 12:39

By warm weather, I mean in the 80s or 90s and sunny. The problem doesn't happen in the shade or during cooler weather.

It's a Grimble geoXH geoexplorer 6000 series

Terrasync 5.1

Sandy Kubillus

ILM_screen_FullLogo_200

skubillus@ilmenvironments.com  |  ilmenvironments.com

110 Le Baron Street, Waukegan, IL 60085  

Office: (847) 244-6662  |  Cell: (847) 343-3484

• 4.  RE: Trimble GEO XH keypad locks up

Posted 09-07-2023 13:58

Hi Sandy

80s or 90s and sunny should not be a problem for a Geo6000, but if the problem happens in the sun but not in the shade you're probably right about it being temperature-related.

Do you only have one Geo6000 unit?  It's possible there's a temperature-related hardware problem one one unit although I can't imagine what.

There's a possibility that upgrading TerraSync to version 5.41 would help - there were quite a few stability-related changes between versions 5.10 and 5.41, some of those did reduce CPU load which would help with temperature-related problems.  From my vague memories, there's no real advantage in upgrading TerraSync past the 5.41 mark - later versions were mainly done to support later receivers.

Alternatively, try using an external antenna and keeping the Geo in the shade.

Norman Smart

• 5.  RE: Trimble GEO XH keypad locks up

Posted 09-08-2023 07:41

Sounds like a touchscreen issue, may be cost prohibitive for your dealer to replace. I would try cleaning the contacts.

Jeff Little

• 6.  RE: Trimble GEO XH keypad locks up

Posted 09-10-2023 14:33

Since Terrasync lets you end features using the left-hand physical button I don't think it's touchscreen.  But it would be worth confirming that the problem affects touchscreen operation as well as the physical buttons.

Norman Smart

• 7.  RE: Trimble GEO XH keypad locks up

Posted 09-11-2023 09:27

I've been using this trimble for over a decade and I did not know about the button! Thank you! I just tested it out. This will save a lot of time.

Sandy Kubillus

ILM_screen_FullLogo_200

skubillus@ilmenvironments.com  |  ilmenvironments.com

110 Le Baron Street, Waukegan, IL 60085  

Office: (847) 244-6662  |  Cell: (847) 343-3484