Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Trimble Sitevision AR - drape 2D shapefiles

• 1.  Trimble Sitevision AR - drape 2D shapefiles

Posted 10-24-2023 06:36

Hi, 

I am new to the forum and hope I am posting in the right place.

We are currently evaluating a Sitevision AR equipment at work. We work with electrical power lines in Sweden and are now testing to import ESRI Shape in 2D format. What I want is the lines to be draped over the ground. Have tried using Sitevision Manager and set the feature class, geometry heights to ground. It works well if  the terrain is flat, but if the ground level is sloping, the lines are drawn straight out into the air.

Is there any solution to this? 

The depth of the cables underground is irrelevant, I simply wish to visualize their exact location on the surface.

/Rickard

------------------------------
    Rickard Alexanderson

• 2.  RE: Trimble Sitevision AR - drape 2D shapefiles

Posted 10-24-2023 07:09

Hi Rickard

Yes, you can 'drape' 2D shapefiles over a Trimble Terrain Model (*.TTM).

• The shapefiles and TTM need to be located in the same folder and cover the same geographical area
    • Sitevision will then render the 2D shapefile according to the surface model data included in the TTM

We have a section on this in the Sitevision help - Preparing ESRI file data and here on how to Create a TMM using Trimble Business Center (or TBC)

TTM's are derived from a 'surface' in TBC (or Trimble Access) which is created usually from an XYZ dataset (point cloud or or topo survey for example)

Without a 3D shapefile or TTM, the 2D data will display 1.5 m below the APC of the SiteVision unit which usually is around ground level depending on your Sitevision setup 

Hope this helps..

For more details take a look at the Sitevision YouTube channel HERE

Tom Harrison

• 3.  RE: Trimble Sitevision AR - drape 2D shapefiles

Posted 10-25-2023 09:41

Thanks for the information.

I will look into TTM's

Rickard Alexanderson