The new Trimble Connect 3D Viewer is now out of beta phase. Starting from October 2019, the new 3D Viewer is launched by default when 3D content is clicked in the Trimble Connect for browser application.
User guide for the new 3D Viewer
The new 3D Viewer is a complete re-write that is based on modern web technologies. Benefits include:
- Load models faster than before
- Load bigger models than before
- It's a responsive web application: Works on both desktop and mobile browsers (tablets and mobile phones)
The following list highlights some key features in the initial release:
- Models panel
- ToDos panel
- Views panel
- Opening links created with the Share Data feature in Connect web browser application
- Adding attachments to model objects. Attachments are shown as icons in the 3D space
- API and application framework that enable extending the new 3D viewer with new functionality and integrating to other applications
- Link to API documentation: https://3d.connect.trimble.com/docs/api/index.html
What we are working on next
The Trimble Connect 3D Viewer is being actively developed and we target to introduce many new features in the future. Next we will be working on for example
- Clash sets panel (view and create new clash sets) (released in 1.0.45)
- Support for model versions (released in 1.0.70)
- Snapping for the measurements tool (released in 1.0.36 - see Releases section below)
- Workflow Extensions (released in December 18, 2019 - see Releases section below)
- List view for model attachments (also known as object links)
- Layers panel
Internet Explorer browser support
- The new Connect 3D Viewer does not support the Internet Explorer browser due to its lack of support of the needed web graphics standards. Please use a more modern browser such as Chrome, Edge, Firefox or Safari.
Legacy 3D viewer availability will be discontinued in the end of July, 2020
- The legacy 3D viewer will stay available until the end of June 2020. It can be launched by clicking the "View in legacy viewer" button in the side panel. The button becomes visible after selecting a 3D model file:
- Note: All users who have embedded the legacy viewer to their applications, should now move to the new 3D Viewer. See details in the blog post:
- Legacy 3D Viewer: End of Availability Date Is Set to end of July 2020.
How to clear your browser cache (early adopters only)
- Some users who have been using the beta version of the new 3D Viewer from early on, may be affected by a bug where the Chrome browser doesn't always load the latest application version from the server. If you think that you may be affected by the issue, you can clear the Chrome browser cache by typing "chrome://settings/siteData" in the address bar and removing 3d.connect.trimble.com related site data from the list. Note that this needs to be done only once, after which the browser will automatically load the latest version from the server.
Links to release notes of new Trimble Connect 3D Viewer versions: