Jeff Jalbrzikowski

A quick list of ideas for Trimble product development teams

Discussion created by Jeff Jalbrzikowski on Sep 16, 2017
Latest reply on Jan 18, 2018 by Jeff Jalbrzikowski

Traverse Kits - boresight, or "coarse sight" like on total stations, on top of prism "can" for more accurate aiming, would help on vertical aiming for sure

Tribrachs - laser engrave the accuracy of the bullseye level so the user is better informed, or at least include that on a spec sheet in the delivery/packing

TA - add an option in Map-based survey mode to keep the conventional survey instrument set to Tracking mode while viewing the map but switch to Standard mode when the Measure button is tapped. Allows live map updates but retains EDM redundancy in measurements.  maybe this is already possible in some settings I am missing, not positive on this one.

Data Collectors - along with the normal built-in digital camera, a second fisheye/180 camera for those times when it's just the right tool for the job, such as a skyview phot from a mark/monument.  much faster than the old sketch sheets

TA - add the capability to store Targets in relationship to Points similar to storing a Station Setup and Backsight, to preserve the Hm and Type/Offset per Point; this could be very beneficial for monitoring applications in Measure Rounds

TRW - please add Hm input for instrument/target height in the Survey Workflow input.  I understand this stems from the fact that TBC/TA were developed out of New Zealand and TRW out of France, but man I was STUNNED to not see the Hm entry in TRW.  there are multiple different size SECO spacers available to match 100mm and 230mm spheres to the Trimble 135mm target height when used in combination with the Trimble prism base (P/N 78608007)... but we need TRW to support the Hm for the spacers to really be useful.  yes, I am aware I can build a spreadsheet to convert Hm to HI, but "automation is key" to prevent/reduce human induced errors.  maybe this has been addressed already, I am only on v10.2.2 due to ridiculously strict IT restrictions.

Tri-Max Tripod - add a large (5-6cm) circular/bullseye level on top of the plastic tripod head cover on the Tri-Max, for faster rough leveling.  not everyone needs this, but some folks just never get the hang of visual rough leveling.

TA - Dual-Robotic Survey Style - allow TA to make a 2.4GHz connection to first total station via internal radio and make a Bluetooth connection to a TDL 2.4 that will in turn connect to a second total station via 2.4GHz (basically a Bluetooth bridge).  would allow for complete redundancy of Rounds to a mark with only one setup per point being observed.  I feel like this would not be very difficult, but I am NOT a software developer so maybe I am wrong.

TBC - Tablet Edition - a light version of TBC that would allow a user to perform many of the functions of TBC, but without intensive processing power like photogrammetry/etc.  would be good for when you're on the road.

CAC/Smart Card reader enabled - a built in card/chip reader for DoD and other high-level security users, projects, or contracts.  a pipe dream for sure, but if DoD doesn't retire the CAC it would make Trimble hardware a shoe-in for a lot of DoD/Military acquisition contracts.

TBC - Labeling - allow more extensive point label styles, like enabling "Description 2" as a label, and also on line labeling, like having all the various vector fields be able to be used as labels

The "HP Hm" - downward/nadir EDM integrated into plummet for measuring Hm to +/-0.5mm.  I dictate the use of the tent-pole-like "measuring stick" (why doesn't the SX10 come with one??) and Hm in ALL field work (except when occupying a pillar/pedestal because TA has a minimum Hm restriction), and with a 0.5" S9 I have seen this combination match vertical results from a DiNi level across two small sites (~2 acres and rather flat).  just imagine if an EDM was used for instrument heights, even better tracking from field-to-office and one less source of possible blunder.

Optical Plummet - a higher power plummet like a 5x. not always needed but would be a great optional upgrade on HP instruments and Traverse kits.  I've got an old WILD ZBL16 and that 5x plummet is so much clearer than the 2x-2.5x ones.  perhaps the physical size of such a 5x plummet scope would prohibit this, I don't know.

Robotic Traverse Kit - a compensated and robotic optical plummet base for those long backsights that are across a river, valley or just a busy street or site. an EDM for Hm and a camera plummet (like the SX10) would make it the ultimate backsight upgrade!  It wouldn't have to be able to spin/aim as fast as a total station so the MagDrive wouldn't be necessary, just old-school servos.  (also discussed here: Rotating prism | RPLS Today Community )

Traverse Kits - just like the MT360 and AT360 have, add 5/8 x 11 thread to top of the traverse prism holder for stack-ability (2 prisms aimed differently) and/or GNSS antenna/receiver mounting for simultaneous backsighting and static session.  yes, I know that other brands are available with this, but we prefer to stick with all Trimble kit for uniformity (e.g. 196mm trunnion axis, 135mm prism height, -35mm prism offset)

Was a busy couple weeks and found myself discussing some of these ideas with a colleague.  We both came to some of these concepts independently, so I figured if we both thought of the same then maybe they are good ideas to be shared.  Alexander Holsteinson I am curious for your input on these ideas too man!  And Tim Funk, toss these ideas to the right people if you get a minute, thanks!

Outcomes