AnsweredAssumed Answered

How do you establish new control points using a GPS?

Question asked by Stewart Agnew on Dec 14, 2018

This question is referring to points to be used for carrying out surveys where an accuracy of +/- 1mm is not required; I assume the procedure would be similar if the control were to be used for setting out activities but you would tighten up the points with traverses/level loops post establishment. 

I've been on jobs in the past where I have had to establish additional points kilometers apart by using an existing control point (X, Y, Z) i.e. Set up a base station over the known point then use a rover unit to record a point further away > point becomes the new base and repeat. Unsure if this considered 'best practice' but it has worked for lengths of <20km where I have managed to tie into existing control points at the start/end of the run. 

Question is: If i'm standing in a field in the middle of nowhere - can I establish a new control point by tying into the GNSS network and measuring my position? If yes - what's the procedure? I've trawled through the internet but can't actually find anything so it's either a trade secret or I'm searching for the wrong keywords.

Thanks

Outcomes