Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

TBC v5.80 - Print Plan Set to PDF - a problem

• 1.  TBC v5.80 - Print Plan Set to PDF - a problem

Posted 10-28-2022 16:09
    Hello,

I always wonder that with new releases of TBC, some of its functionalities which functioned problem free in previous versions
    become problematic or even do not work correctly.

Here is an example. I created (from scratch) my draughting template which always worked fine till the installation
    of version 5.80. When I use it - in a TBC v5.80 project everything looks fine:

However - in contrast to previous versions - when I print it to a PDF file using Print Plan Set, its look
    is corrupted and ugly (see its output  to a PDF file below):

I used the same template with the same text style as I created them 2-3 years ago,
    with NO problems (or minor problems I could solve) in all previous versions,
    but now,  with v5.80, it does not work correctly.

Has anyone such experience with v5.80 and if yes, what´s wrong there and how could it be fixed?

Martin Kalafut

------------------------------
    Martin Kalafut

• 2.  RE: TBC v5.80 - Print Plan Set to PDF - a problem

Posted 10-28-2022 16:14
    Hi Martin,

This is a bug and we are working to resolve it and provide a fix in the coming months. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Charlie Sorg
    Product Owner
    Trimble Business Center, CIS

• 3.  RE: TBC v5.80 - Print Plan Set to PDF - a problem

Posted 10-28-2022 16:52
    Hi Charlie,

What is your recommendation for the users who would like to keep on plotting from TBC?
    Clearly update to 5.80 is not an option.

I do not believe that wait time to fix the bug that destroyed basic functionality should be counted in months. We should be talking days. Like when TBC 5.3 was unworkable, and 5.31 and 5.32 were released shortly after.

Cheers,
    Marian

Marian

• 4.  RE: TBC v5.80 - Print Plan Set to PDF - a problem

Posted 10-29-2022 02:21
    Charlie,

Sorry for the next text and straight non-diplomatic) words, but I will be honest - I am already pretty tired when a new TBC release comes to
    the light of the world with bugs of functionalities which worked correctly in its older versions.

I am always under high tension (in most negative sense of these words) what bugs I discover in TBC functions of latest release
    which worked problem free in older versions.

You say this plotting bug will be fixed within a few months. I hope you are joking! Such bug must be fixed
    within few days or within a week at the most!

How can I plot now?
    Should I switch back to MicroStation?
    It is declared that TBC is Field to Finish with confidence?
    Which confidence is meant?
    Confidence that for sure the previously fixed bugs in older versions re-appear again in new release?
    Should I always do the downgrade procedure after day or two, when I install new release?

If such basic plotting bug is to be fixed within a few months - then I would recommend following:
    1. Dramatically reduce TBC pricing
    2. The safest way is to wait a few months after new version is released, till all new and repeatedly re-appeared bugs
        fixed in older versions will also be fixed in the new release and only then install the latest release.

Of course, the point 2 assumes that many people will be willing to install immediately the new release, will actively work with it
    and when they found some bugs, will immediately report them to Trimble either through this platform or via support.

So - I await that the mentioned plotting bug which effectively hinders me to use TBC will be fixed within a week.
    Otherwise the word confidence in conjunction with TBC does not reflect the reality.

Martin

Martin Kalafut

• 5.  RE: TBC v5.80 - Print Plan Set to PDF - a problem

Posted 10-29-2022 07:14
    I have absolutely no ties to Trimble, I am a business owner who relies on TBC for mine and my employees' livelihoods.

Is it a bit ridiculous to say that it will be solved in the coming months? Yeah, maybe, sure it's a bit ridiculous. Maybe Charlie is just erring on the side of caution, overdeliver on the situation. 

So yeah, your best option is surely to just downgrade to 5.70. I've done it many times. Is it frustrating? Sure, it is. But it's really not that big of a deal in the end. You reported the bug and then you wait for the patch. I guess if there was a new feature in the latest version that you were just dying for that might be a situation that could get very frustrating, I could understand that. But most situations you'll be fine with the previous version, at least I know that's true for our team.

Dramatically reduce the price of TBC? Seriously? TBC is a specialty software that currently does not and likely will never demand industry wide mass adaptation for a sector. Civil 3D/Autocad is the industry standard for every engineering firm in the US designing site projects. They command that market and their price reflects that, which is $2,550/yr right now. It's a very refined product that services designers very well. TBC is a specialty software and considering the yearly price point is about $2,000 per year for modeling and $3,300 or something like that for modeling and takeoffs is VERY affordable. Sure, you'll want to add Rockpile Solutions Macros which I think are $1,000 per year, but that combined price for what you get...that's nothing. I priced Agtek for takeoffs at one point and I believe the yearly price was something like $13,000! 

And yes, there will be always be many of us out there ready to install the latest version, test it and then report back (downgrading if necessary).

One of my CAD techs said that when he dragged in all the PDFs to georeference, in project explorer, they all had the same name without page numbers or some glitch like that. He had no idea how to select the pages he needed. I told him if he went to the view filter manager and right clicked the PDF and hit properties it would select it. Or you can make the PDFs selectable. Is it frustrating? Maybe a little bit yeah, but will it work for him? Of course, not a huge deal. Reminds me I do have to recreate and report that bug!

Just my 2 cents.

Adam Bower

• 6.  RE: TBC v5.80 - Print Plan Set to PDF - a problem

Posted 10-29-2022 10:03
    OK Adam,

let´s cool down our legitimate emotions - we are all adult boys.

1. I do NOT understand (except marketing purposes which mostly does not reflect the reality at all, but this is
       the merit of ALL competitors in this field), why they are so quick to release a version of the software
       which was not sufficiently tested (at least its basic functionalities) before release. Even, they organize the webinars for such releases.

2. I even understand that there is probably impossible to test all functions before release - but this is not our problem as customers.
        If there is insufficient workforce to do it (to test most used functionalities in a new release, whether they function properly or not), I understand it,
        but I am not ready to test the new releases free of charge and then report the problems back and as a result (solution of a problem) is
        to uninstall latest version and install back the previous one.

It costs me huge amount of time (when searching how to fix a discovered problem, if unsuccessful, to write a report and publish it here or to the support)
        which I could give to more useful things for me.
        In such case, the only solution for me is to abandon TBC as "Field to Finish with Confidence" solution and use it (TBC) for GNSS processing ONLY.

3. I would then suggest them to hire also some external sources (of course - payed ones, maybe I would be interested in)
        for such purposes (testing of basic functionalities) before a new release will be available for public.

Martin

Martin Kalafut

• 7.  RE: TBC v5.80 - Print Plan Set to PDF - a problem

Posted 10-29-2022 12:51
    I have to say I agree with Martin. As a Trimble fan and user it is infuriating that this has now become the default situation - that each new release breaks older functionality. I also do not have the time to constantly revert back to older versions so have stopped being a guinea pig for Trimble. If I was paying out my own pocket I would be even more angry.

As Martin said, who will find these bugs and report them if we all felt the same way? And its the 'we will fix it in 2 or 3 releases' attitude that sucks because those 2 or 3 releases with invariably bring their own sets of problems, never mind the lack of sense of urgency. If my work constantly resulted in 'bugs' I think I would be fired. Do the software developers every get taken to task for their mistakes?

Michael Fletcher

• 8.  RE: TBC v5.80 - Print Plan Set to PDF - a problem

Posted 10-29-2022 13:04
    1. The reason they do this is because it is truly the fastest way to debug a program. Is it right and do I agree with it? Not really. I agree, there is no excuse for Trimble to release a version of the program without doing some basic tests. I don't ever plot so I don't have much interest in any of the plotting functions, but from being on this forum, I feel that every single release has issues with plotting. Trimble for sure owes it to the user base to thoroughly test plotting functions before release. We all know that random strange bugs will pop up with each release, but to not test and fix the plotting, I agree, is not acceptable. It's so simple to test. They can even set up basic VCL files that bring everything in ready to plot and they can just test those different plots, no, it wouldn't be that hard for them to do that and they should be doing it. 

2. Yeah of course, it's impossible to test all of the features. But I do think Trimble needs to aggressively pursue TBC users that are willing to use the new version as BETA releases and then report back findings. I know there are some willing to do that but I'm sure there are not enough to really test out a lot of the functionality. Of course if they had good version cross-compatibility I would gladly volunteer as I do much less TBC work now that I have 2 full time employees building models. But I can't be on a newer version since we do collaborate on every project (I just spend a small amount of time on each).  They should honestly consider compensation for daily TBC users to become BETA testers on each release. At least something to generate more participants.

Adam Bower

• 9.  RE: TBC v5.80 - Print Plan Set to PDF - a problem

Posted 10-29-2022 17:28
    Martin,
    I've been told its a problem with True Type Fonts - I've gone in and changed mine to Stroke and that produces PDFs ok - a PIA but at least its a workaround,

Now for my next one ... separate post to follow on TA 2022.10 imports via Sync Manager

John Mill

• 10.  RE: TBC v5.80 - Print Plan Set to PDF - a problem

Posted 10-30-2022 06:27
    Edited by Martin Kalafut 10-30-2022 15:41
    John,

thanks for your tip, however - although you are right with STROKE fonts, it does not solve my problem.
    Stroke fonts mostly do not support diacritical signs (at least I have such experiences).

So, when I use a stroke font - then the letters of Slovak alphabet like č,š,ž,ľ, ... are in text mostly omitted,
    it means these letters are missing in the text string (although some letters are supported - like á, é, ý, í, ...).
    This means that the text becomes obscured and grammatically incorrect. I hope that it is understandable that
    I cannot hand over such document to anybody.

This is the reason why we use True Type fonts in TBC, where no such problems exist.

So, if you have a knowledge that some types of stroke fonts
    support diacritical signs in letters, then let me know which ones - thanks in advance!

Martin

ADDENDUM:

John,

somehow - your information with stroke fonts made me wonder and I sacrificed today´s Sunday´s sunny and beautiful afternoon
    and instead of cycling in a beautiful surroundings where I live, iridescent with all possible autumn colors, I sat down in front of my computer 
    for a few hours and made a "research" regarding of using stroke fonts in TBC to satisfy the requirements for using error free diacritic letters
    of alphabet.

Here are the results:

Using the method attempt and mistake I vetted the set of stroke fonts which are available in TBC. I found one font (SIMPLEX.FNT) which on 95%
    satisfy my needs (there are still 2 or 3 letters with diacritic which cannot be correctly displayed even with this font, in fact - they are omitted from text string,
    so I had to change two words in my VCL table which contain such letters of alphabet to another ones - their synonymous - which do not contain them).

So now, all my text styles are based on the SIMPLEX.FNT font and the results (PDF file) can be seen in the picture below:

It looks acceptable - but nevertheless, it is a temporary (or SOS) solution!

In any case - I need to use True Type fonts, since they are far more flexible and satisfy on 100%
    our needs with regards to our norms, which prescribe the use of some concrete fonts
    and the True Type fonts are the ones that have no problems with diacritic letters of alphabet at all.

Now - I also believe that I am back on the trace of another problem in TBC, which I reported to support
    (if I remember correctly) longer time ago - about 1 or 1.5 year ago.

It relates to TBC DGN importer routine. When I import a DGN file containing names (or text strings) with
    diacritic letters of alphabet, after import into a TBC project I see in the TBC map window for specific
    diacritic letters of alphabet an asterisk (*) in the names which contain them.

Unfortunately - in the DGN import routine, there are no real settings possible (only a prefix can be add to the layer´s names).
    I would welcome such settings there (let´s  say - a conversion table), which would enable to set up the colors for each imported
    layers in TBC, fonts for the imported text strings in TBC, etc ...

I got such answer from the support that it will be investigated. Till now, nothing changed and I believe it fallen to the omission
    (c´est la vie). I know - this is really another story, so I leave it for now.

Nevertheless - I am very thankful for your hint. Thanks to your hint I will be able to hand over our job to my customer in time!

Many thanks again - John!

Martin Kalafut