Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Utilities - Issues importing LandXML data from TBC into Civil 3D

• 1.  Utilities - Issues importing LandXML data from TBC into Civil 3D

Posted 12-17-2019 09:53
      |   view attached

I am having issues importing utility landxml data into Civil3D from TBC. 

This creates an issue when sharing information with parties not using TBC. This is taken from data extracted from Civil3d as a LandXML, imported into TBC, and re-exported to Civil 3D. This might be a CIvil3D issue but I do not have enough experience importing data into Civil3D to tell. 

Attachment(s)

zip
    Utilities Test.xml.zip   29 KB 1 version

• 2.  Re: Utilities - Issues importing LandXML data from TBC into Civil 3D

Posted 12-18-2019 12:57

I will have Mike Carris answer this one as he is the C3D guru at Trimble. What I do know is that there is a bunch of setup to d in C3D to be able to read in and use Utility data - Mike was going to create a Training around that - I have not seen it though so maybe it has not been done yet.

Alan

• 3.  Re: Utilities - Issues importing LandXML data from TBC into Civil 3D

Posted 12-19-2019 10:35

This is because the Part Lists in Civl 3D does not have an equal Part Size to map the Structure/Pipe to.  The Civil 3D Part List by default only has a 48in MH and the TBC Manhole is 60in. So you have to add a Part Size in the C3D Part List and it will import correctly.  I've begun building a Data Interoperabilty Knowledge App (kApp) which contains a video on this along with other common issues for both Autodesk and Bentely issues. To gain access use this Access Code - If you have a Trimble Library account the kApp will be added to your Library, if you don't you will be prompted to create an account and once that is complete the kApp will be available in your Library. 

• 4.  Re: Utilities - Issues importing LandXML data from TBC into Civil 3D

Posted 12-30-2019 10:01

Thanks Mike. That is super helpful.

• 5.  Re: Utilities - Issues importing LandXML data from TBC into Civil 3D

Posted 05-10-2020 04:23

More reason for a file type that can be shared across all platforms. I know this is a Civil 3D issues but I need to be able to share my data to other parties with confidence and simplicity and vice versa not matter what anyone has. This would be painful if I was working on a design build with an engineer who was using Civil 3D and I was using TBC.

Case in point I love TBC but it is seriously lacking drafting capabilities for utilities. So I either export out what I can as a pdf and hand sketch (even though the data already exist in TBC and creates the same issues that we see when engineers do this) or I tried to export out to Civil 3D and capitalize on there extensive utilities drafting capabilities. Civil 3D would save me from manually drafting all of this data. Or someone recommend that I look into Novapoint, which would then be an additional yearly cost and another program to learn with all of its tricks and nuances. Novapoint looks great but I don't have time for that. Something I notice from Novpaoint is that it seems to be integrated into Civil 3D so I am assuming their are less issues with data transfer. I wish TBC had this, even if it was a extra license. 

If we want to take things to the next level we need that confidence that all the data is going to come through and that we can share all of the data we have worked so hard to generate. When I get a piece of paper, I get everything on that piece of paper. I don't have to worry about proxygraphics, sizes being in a parts list, aecc objects, UCS, arcs, leaders lines being at zero, etc. This piece of paper is transferable from one party to the next with all the data available. PDFs are gaining more traction that CAD files in some regard because they are similar to paper. All the data is there.

Is LandXML the answer? Or IFC? Maybe there is something else in the works. How do we address this? Is there a board that meets? I would love join and help solve this problem.

This has been a problem of the past, the current and will continue to be a problem of the future if it is not addressed. It is a shame because it is going to slow progress. As @BRUCE FLORA mentions in another thread  "We waste time creating work arounds instead of fixing the root issue." 

• 6.  RE: Re: Utilities - Issues importing LandXML data from TBC into Civil 3D

Posted 01-28-2021 04:41
    @Sanjeev Saha @Joseph Blecha @Michael Carris this is a pretty serious issue that needs to get addressed please. We do not have a clean way of sharing smart utilities with Civil3D users. I understand that part of this issue is with Civil3D but there needs to be a way to do this with confidence. If I put in the effort to model as-built utilities in a 3D BIM format, I should have a way to share this with external parties using various software. Is IFC the solution?

WE NEED a way to do this PLEASE.​ This is not a requirement yet but I have a feeling that it will soon be required by clients, especially with tools like SiteVision that can support it. If I was a client I would demand it. ​​​

------------------------------
    Patrick L'heureux

• 7.  RE: Re: Utilities - Issues importing LandXML data from TBC into Civil 3D

Posted 12-06-2023 07:19

pat, any updates on this? 

John West