Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How do I create a revision cloud linetype?

• 1.  How do I create a revision cloud linetype?

Posted 10-17-2018 09:03

I want to cloud revisions to the drawings so that I can show them in the .dxf I send to the TSC7 and print in a sheet set.  I have tried creating one in AutoCAD and importing the .lin file into Business Center but I have had no success.  Any help or tutorials would be greatly appreciated. Thanks you.

• 2.  Re: How do I create a revision cloud linetype?

Posted 10-18-2018 11:51
      |   view attached

Do you mean something like this?

I have enclosed a Linetype File with a Linestyle called "Cloud Revision" for you if this is what you wanted - these are the steps that I used to create this

Note to see Linestyles in BC-HCE you have to go to Project Settings, View, Display Options, and then set Show all lines as solid = No otherwise all of your lines will be solid on screen. Note that if displaying linestyles in BC-HCE you may find on large projects that regen is more frequent and significantly slower when you change this setting - so be sure that you really want this.

1. Draw a Polyline around the area of the revision
      1. Name = e.g. Cloud Revision 100
      2. Layer = Cloud Revision Markers (Set Layer Color to e.g. Magenta, Lineweight to e.g. 0.4 and linestyle - set to linetype Cloud Revison (you will need to Import the Linetype from the enclosed .ltp file when selecting the linestyle. Linestyle scale factor - 3 should work for you
      3. Elevation - leave undefined unless you need it at a specified height
      4. Specify individual points (you can smooth the line later from properties of the line) draw a closed area - join back to the first point - make the area at least semi smooth
      5. Now select the line that you just drew and look at its properties - you can set the Smooth Property to Yes and the Line scale factor to e.g. 4 and you should have what you wanted

If I missed what you were trying to do let me know.

This should work with Polyline, Circle and Rectangle objects as well as linestrings, however you cannot "Smooth" a linestring.

See the video below

In the LTP file attached I have made the default color for the linestyle to be Magenta - you can edit that in the Linetype editor as needed

Hope that this helps

Alan

Attachment(s)

zip
    LineType.ltp.zip   1 KB 1 version

• 3.  Re: How do I create a revision cloud linetype?

Posted 10-18-2018 11:57

That looks like what I was trying to accomplish, thanks. However I do not see the attachment for the ltp file.

Tyler Tani

Teichert Construction

GPS Project Engineer

4401 Duluth Avenue

Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 530-406-4204

Mobile: 530-304-6607

• 4.  Re: How do I create a revision cloud linetype?

Posted 10-18-2018 12:21

It is there as shown in the picture here

• 5.  Re: How do I create a revision cloud linetype?

Posted 10-18-2018 12:25
      |   view attached

Awesome!!! Thanks again!!

Tyler Tani

Teichert Construction

GPS Project Engineer

4401 Duluth Avenue

Rocklin, CA 95765

• 6.  Re: How do I create a revision cloud linetype?

Posted 10-18-2018 13:11
      |   view attached

Sorry to be such a pain.  I noticed in your video you have some of your commands on the right hand side of your screen, almost like a quick access toolbar.  How did you get that there, I think that would be very helpful for us here.

Thanks again for all your time and help!

Tyler Tani

Teichert Construction

GPS Project Engineer

4401 Duluth Avenue

Rocklin, CA 95765

• 7.  Re: How do I create a revision cloud linetype?

Posted 10-18-2018 13:51

No problem with the question - hey that is what the forum is for!

But I do have to keep some secrets Tyler ....

That is why I do the PUG training events - to let out all my secrets - Full Open Kimono .... (what a thought!)

Seriously - you create those as follows

1) In BC-HCE v4.12 or earlier you have to set your Menu Layout (Project - Set Menu Layout) Use Large Icons for Quick Access Toolbar to Yes (check box) Without Large Icons this doesnt work - in v5 next month it works anytime.

2) Once you have done that, in the Menu bar - Right Click and select Customize - it is at the base of the list

3) You can create New Toolbars - eg one for Edits, One for CAD Stuff (Move, Copy etc.), one for Surfaces and so on.As you do that it asks for the name and where you want to dock the toolbar (Right Side) - it then places a toolbar placeholder on the Right side of the screen.

4) Then step to the Commands Tab - You can pick a command group like Corridor - and then all the commands are listed on the Right side - find the command you want and drag and drop it to the Toolbar in the location where you want it. Repeat for the commands that you want and for the Toolbars you want. 

You can turn Toolbars on and off as you need them, you can double stack them if you want to etc.

From the Options Tab - you can deselect "Large Icons on Toolbars and they will shrink in size so you can get more commands down the side

Tip - Muscle memory forces you to always go to the menus (because that is what you are used to doing. Take the commands out of the Menus (to make more space) and force yourself to use the Side toolbars. Within hours you will retrain yourself and your production will soar like an eagle.

Hope this helps - Happy productive modeling!

Alan

• 8.  Re: How do I create a revision cloud linetype?

Posted 10-18-2018 14:23
      |   view attached

Perfect thanks again!!!!!

Tyler Tani

Teichert Construction

GPS Project Engineer

4401 Duluth Avenue

Rocklin, CA 95765

• 9.  Re: How do I create a revision cloud linetype?

Posted 10-19-2018 10:31

This seemed like something to try out. Even though I have three monitors more workspace with HCE would be great. I made a new toolbar and added some commands to it. However once I deselected Large Icons the toolbar disappeared. After selecting and deselecting a few times to make sure what was happening I tried un-maximizing the HCE window thinking perhaps it got lost on the right side of the window. Then my View Filter Manager and Project Manager view were floating (maybe they were anyway) and when I maximized the HCE window again Project manager filled the top half of my workspace and View Filter was no longer stacked with it. Before I started with this the set of VFM and PM were permanently glued to the left side of my workspace. This exercise has broken that and after trying for over an hour I have not discovered how to re-pin it to the left side without having it fill top portion of the workspace. There must be some setting I'm missing and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alan, thank you for helping me fix this!!!