Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Custom Reports - Earthwork Report

• 1.  Custom Reports - Earthwork Report

Posted 11-26-2018 06:51

I am trying to create a custom earthwork report that shows  earthwork quantities for bounded areas but then gives the total at the bottom of the breakdown. 

The image below shows the breakdown but not the summation of the fills (it is just pulling the first fill value). I know in SQL I could accomplish this with a sum function but it appears that Word does not have the power to do that(I could be missing something). Could we get total cut and total fill added to the the list of values? 

Also, is there a way to get the surface names not to repeat? They are repeating because they are referenced twice (for each boundary) but I do not need them to be. 

• 2.  Re: Custom Reports - Earthwork Report

Posted 11-27-2018 13:43

You might want to take a look at these example Pat, I spent quite a while with this some time ago, I found similar issues and found some solutions to the problems you raised. My example project was a simple Stockyard where I had the Base and then a Measured Surface of 3 piles, each pile had a boundary around it. I ran the Earthwork Report (Custom) using the 3 boundaries, and was able to generate the following reports as a result - I was using different templates to see what could be done with the Reports. 

As you have found, the running of some reports creates a "Database of Results" and that database can be laid out in the Word Document using the Custom Report Editor in TBC. You can populate fields in the report using database elements (if you can identify the correct elements in the available fields). The fields can be embedded in lines of text or in Table fields etc of the Word document.

There are some advanced settings that I discovered that helps control multiple line entries and will suppress duplication of lines - I may have resolved some of your points (but it is a while back that I was doing this).

Feel free to take a look at the enclosed Templates and Report Outputs to see if there is anything here that can assist you.

I also enclose a Video that I recorded to capture the process. You can also find a TBC Power Hour that covers some of this but maybe not in the depth of detail that you need to solve your problem here.

Let me know how you get on - if you still have issues, please highlight the specific issues that you still have and I will see what I can get onto the development roadmap

Alan

Attachment(s)

zip
    Custom Report Templates.zip   2.55 MB 1 version
    zip
    Custom Report Outputs.zip   1.69 MB 1 version

• 3.  Re: Custom Reports - Earthwork Report

Posted 11-28-2018 04:53

@Dean Teska and @Mike Kohler

Please take a look at the video Alan was kind enough to share above, there is some really great data here, and personally a whole new side of TBC I was unaware of. 

Alan, 

Thanks for sharing this information. 

• 4.  Re: Custom Reports - Earthwork Report

Posted 11-27-2018 13:51

If you want me to take a look at it, I will need your Report template to look at - you can send it to me by email if you want to keep it off the Forum.

Alan

• 5.  Re: Custom Reports - Earthwork Report

Posted 11-28-2018 12:20
      |   view attached

Thanks Alan. The video and supporting documents were very helpful. Thank you for sharing those. I was able to work on my report this afternoon and have it close to where I want it.

The things that are still not quite right:

• Repeating Surface rows under Surface details. This is repeating based on the number of boundaries I have selected. This may be a Word report limitation
    • I cannot get the cut and fills to sum.

I have work arounds for both but would like to automate both of these if possible.

Work arounds

• Repeating Rows: Manually delete repeated rows
    • Total Row: Manual calculate summations and add to the report. 

Thanks again for looking at this.

Attachment(s)

• 6.  Re: Custom Reports - Earthwork Report

Posted 12-28-2018 08:11

Is there a way to add the "Survey Date" from an earthworks report? I'm not seeing it anywhere in the Report Layout Data Fields.

• 7.  Re: Custom Reports - Earthwork Report

Posted 01-04-2019 14:36

Erik

We don't have the concept of Surveyed Date for anything other than a Surface Model today, that setting is not captured currently by the Earthwork Report for each of the surfaces, but I am sure that it could be added as a parameter that could then be used if that is the right answer. What I would do for this is use the Project Settings - Project File Data and then User Comment 1,2 or 3 to capture a "Survey Date" in your Project and then use that field from 1 - Standard Header Info / 16 Project File Data / 24, 25 or 26 as the field to place on my report. You can alsouse the Created Date, Modified Date etc as that also as you see fit.

Where would you be getting the "Survey Date" from otherwise?

Please advise what you would ideally want to do.

Let me know

Alan

• 8.  Re: Custom Reports - Earthwork Report

Posted 01-04-2019 22:23

Sorry, I meant "Measured date" on the surface properties pane.
    I just try to keep my flights of our pits organized with the date.

Adding it manually isn't too big of a deal either though. I'm really liking these custom reports though! I don't know why I've never used them in the past.