Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Densify Linestrings?

• 1.  Densify Linestrings?

Posted 05-09-2019 10:46

Is there a way to densify a linestring by spacing or number of vertices per line? I want to add additional vertices to the line to include in a surface and send to a subcontractor.  I could divide it and then join the segments back together but is it possible to simply densify without adding vertical points manually? 

• 2.  Re: Densify Linestrings?

Posted 05-09-2019 11:03

Sure is Jon

If you want to do it for "All Linestrings" go into Project Settings, Computations, Surfaces and in there you will find a setting Called Breakline Approximation Parameters - there is a setting for both Horizontal Curves, Vertical Curves and for long straight sections

The Horizontal Tolerance is an Arc to Chord separation before creating an extra node in the line for triangulation purposes - when the Arc separates from the chord by more than the tolerance it forces an extra node - therefore a small number like 0.02'will generate more nodes than a large number like 0.1' for example.

The Vertical Tolerance is the same as the Horizontal but applied to the Vertical Curves that can be inserted into a linestring - again the same approach for Curve to Chord separation.

The Maximum Sampling Distance is the distance between nodes on long straight sections - this increases the number of nodes along a line to improve triangulation - e.g when you have a long edge of a parking lot at a straight grade but you have islands in the lot nearby some elements - this will generate you extra nodes on the Straight Line to give you a better model.

All of the above are "non destructive" of the source line - they don't add nodes or points or VPIs to the lines, they just force the triangulation when used in surfaces. They can be changed and the surface will update dynamically.

If you don't want to change the entire project, just one or a few lines, then each linestring has a property called Override Segment Length - changing that to Yes opens up a setting called Max Segment Length and you can enter e.g. 1' and it will subdivide the line, again non destructively to the interval that you define. 

If you only need a part of the line sub divided then I would break it where I needed the extra densification and then change this setting as needed.

I will post a link to a video that I did a while back on this issue shortly

Thanks - hope this helps

Alan

• 3.  Re: Densify Linestrings?

Posted 05-09-2019 11:12

Here is the video

Break out the Popcorn!

Alan

• 4.  Re: Densify Linestrings?

Posted 05-09-2019 11:26

Thanks Alan.  I figured there had to be a way, just wasn't sure where to look.  Thanks for the quick response!

• 5.  Re: Densify Linestrings?

Posted 05-09-2019 12:02

No problem

On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 12:27 PM jhebert@middlesexco.com <trimble@jiveon.com>