Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Which objects are ignored?

• 1.  Which objects are ignored?

Posted 03-25-2019 03:11

When creating a design in Construction Data, and adding data to it - sometimes some objects are ignored.

What is the best way to visualize what has been left out of the design?

If it is a big design with thousands of objects, it can be quite difficult to notice.

• 2.  Re: Which objects are ignored?

Posted 03-25-2019 07:13

I think you are talking about a Surface and adding members to a surface either directly or through adding Layers for a Takeoff Surface - Correct?

The best way to see what is incorporated into a surface is to Turn On All Layers and then use the View Filter Manager - Selection Set override and select Members of Surface XXX - this will show you all of the elements that have been included in a Surface Model including the Surface that has been created. You can turn the surface off to leave just the points and linework etc. - you can also select the "DO Not Show" option and that will show you all the Linework that does not belong to the selected surface option.

If an object is 2D it can still be added to the surface but will of course have no affect on the surface until it has some elevations.

Does this answer the question - I think on a larger view of this issue, getting all your imported data into good Layer Groups is a way to manage this - that way you expect all of the lines in a Layer Group for example to be included in the surface - that reduces the Layers of data that you are looking at - I have a Layer Group for OG and Design and Utility Types etc to make this process simpler.

You are right however that a lot of CAD Files have a lot of layers and a lot of lines and this is the trickiest part to get right - and just knowing what lines should contribute to a Design Surface is sometimes a challenge - depending on the Layer Naming used by the Civil Design Engineer

Alan

• 3.  Re: Which objects are ignored?

Posted 03-27-2019 08:12

Not exactly - I'm talking about creating a design for SCS/SW and GCS/EW.

Sometimes when adding members to Design Map or 3D Linework Design, it will leave out certain objects, as they are invalid.

You can replicate it, by trying to add a linestring with 0.000 elevation as a 3D Linework design - for some reason that is not working - I would consider it a bug.

But it gives the error I've highlighted here, where it would be nice to show what was skipped - here it is easy - but if you select 300 objects and 10 are skipped - how do you know which 10?

• 4.  Re: Which objects are ignored?

Posted 03-27-2019 11:53

OK - the enclosed video shows how I would do this

1) I would create a View Filter for the data that I want to Export

2) If I want to exclude some of the View Filter Data from the Export I would create a selection set of the data to exclude and then in the View Filter / Selection Set I would pick that selection set and exclude it from the display

3) So On screen now I can see all of the data that I want to export to the field systems

4) I run the Design Manager, Pick the Design Type - you stated 3D Linework - and then select all of the data that is visible and add it - it tells me that some data was skipped and some was added - so to determine which was selected I would de select all the data and then hit the Select Button - that will show me what was selected for export - if I want to see what was not selected (Skipped) then I would use the Invert Selection command to show me what wasn't selected.

In my tests I used lines that had undefined elevation (?) and Zero Elevation (0.000) and Elevation of 0.001 and a line with 0.0001' (which is sub mm) - the lines that were ignored were lines with ? and 0.000 but all lines with 0.0001 or or.001 were selected and sent. So as a work around for 0 not working, you can set those lines with valid 0 elevation to 0.1mm high and they will get sent to the machine files.

I am not sure if this is a TBC issue or a Machine restriction - it could be that the GCS or Earthworks system assumes that Elevation 0 is undefined in which case this is why TBC behaves the way it does (and this is my guess actually because we use a CTCT generated library to manage the Machine Data exports and that validates the data and flags unacceptable data items)

Hopefully the video helps

ALan

• 5.  Re: Which objects are ignored?

Posted 04-01-2019 05:43

Thank Alan, your video had a very nice solution to my question.

I will pass on the "issue" of the 0.000 lines to Construction Support, and let them guide it to the correct people - I was expecting it to be TBC :-)

• 6.  Re: Which objects are ignored?

Posted 04-01-2019 06:58

We are looking at the 0.00 issue - the solution suggested is that we allow

Linestrings with Elevation 0.00 to go out to the Machines, and Polylines

(Imported lines from CAD) if they have 0.00 elevationwe will not send them

(you can change the Elevation of those lines to 0.0001 and send the results

to the field

Alan

On Mon, Apr 1, 2019 at 6:44 AM lasse.hanberg@sitech.dk <trimble@jiveon.com>

• 7.  Re: Which objects are ignored?

Posted 04-04-2019 04:13

Much appreciated