Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Utility Module- Issue with connection at branches

• 1.  Utility Module- Issue with connection at branches

Posted 10-06-2020 20:16

Hi all,

My first time posting on the Trimble forums.

Overview: 

Project scope required building a stormwater system model to be sent to an excavator for digging the trenches. 

The main run consists of 325 pipes with the branch connections being 225 and 100 pipes. 

I am having an issue where the trench branches meet, I am not able to have an opening where the minor sized lines connect to the major run.

See image referenced below. 

• 2.  Re: Utility Module- Issue with connection at branches

Posted 10-07-2020 14:05

Sabrina

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the first Post - hopefully many more in the future!

I am not sure what you mean by you are unable to have an opening where the trenches meet? However I am guessing here and will try to answer the question

1) Each pipe run is separated out and has its own Trench definition. The original requirement for the Utility Module was for estimating purposes not specifically for building trenches for machine control etc. however of course people want to use it for that also. So the trench sides are not looking for a connection to a side run which is why they are "solid where the two trenches meet.

2) You can use the linework generated for the trenches to build a composite trench system, editing the lines to get the intersection areas as you need them and then use that edited linework to build your composite trench model. This also is how you solve for crossovers in the trench surfaces that can sometimes occur at tight angle corners etc.

If you need help with that please let me know and I will record you a video on how to edit trench linework to make a combined surface model.

Alan 

• 3.  Re: Utility Module- Issue with connection at branches

Posted 10-07-2020 14:34

Thank you for the reply Alan! It's a pleasure to be on here. 

Your assumptions are correct and I did consider the possibility of editing the linework for the trenches to build a composite trench system.

I would appreciate if you can me how this is done in a video! 

• 4.  Re: Utility Module- Issue with connection at branches

Posted 10-07-2020 18:31

I will record something for you tomorrow

Alan

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020, 3:35 PM sabrina@smartx.net.au <trimble@jiveon.com>

• 5.  Re: Utility Module- Issue with connection at branches

Posted 10-08-2020 07:06

Here is a video

• 6.  Re: Utility Module- Issue with connection at branches

Posted 10-08-2020 09:08

Alan, you are killing me, put shift+tab, tab, enter, space, on your mouse remember you getting a G602.

• 7.  Re: Utility Module- Issue with connection at branches

Posted 10-08-2020 10:58

I do have that but not everyone out there has the same mouse

Alan

• 8.  Re: Utility Module- Issue with connection at branches

Posted 10-08-2020 11:40

When I first read the question, I was thinking how I would do it, and I was wondering if "Create Utility Line Multi-segment" or applying a side slope template (Create Side Slope) to a multi-segmented line. Both of these potential solutions came to mind because the type of plan sets I get provide the line in a multi-segmented format.

And please pardon my ignorance, I have not built any trenches with the utility module yet, but will it now allow for you to use a table to step out at the approach of a box then step back in?

PS, I hope everyone has a keyboard   

• 9.  Re: Utility Module- Issue with connection at branches

Posted 10-08-2020 12:39

The step outs are automatic based on simple parameters - no tables

Alan

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 12:41 PM sthreet@austin-ind.com <trimble@jiveon.com>