Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Question relating to Speed optimization and Working WIth Point Clouds

• 1.  Question relating to Speed optimization and Working WIth Point Clouds

Posted 07-13-2018 13:12
      |   view attached

I spent a while on the phone to a great user in Belgium this morning. She was asking questions about how best to work with Point Cloud data collected using Drones and how to make Business Center - HCE faster in operation. We went over the workflows in the enclosed Video, and I thought that this is a pretty common need so I captured the workflow for everyone's benefit. 

Hope that you find this helpful

Alan

The attached document is a training document that I use to show people how to use Point Clouds at different "Model Point Densities" in different areas of the site that you may find helpful. 

Thanks for the questions Sofie - It is great to find out where people are struggling with the software and to be able to help you out and make you more productive.

Happy Modeling

Alan

• 2.  Re: Question relating to Speed optimization and Working WIth Point Clouds

Posted 07-14-2018 04:40

Hi Alan,

Thanks a lot for this video, it has been very usefull to me. This project was finished yesterday so I took a couple pictures with the drone, and post one to show you the result. All the earthworks have been done with Trimlble GCS900 on the excavators and dozers. Our company did all the digging for the foundation of the 2 buildings with the red roof, and sandbox for the horses with the excess ground shaped around it. No dirt to be moved away or bring in, thanks to Trimble. Picture of the finished worksite

• 3.  Re: Question relating to Speed optimization and Working WIth Point Clouds

Posted 07-14-2018 06:35

Awesome work Sofie - glad it is all working well for you

Alan

• 4.  Re: Question relating to Speed optimization and Working WIth Point Clouds

Posted 07-16-2018 08:24

Nice. I have been working with pointclouds the way that the video shows with one exeption, the setting for breaklines in volume computations. Didnt know about it at all so these kind of forums is great to learn stuff you missed.         Thanks @Alan Sharp!

• 5.  Re: Question relating to Speed optimization and Working WIth Point Clouds

Posted 08-20-2018 00:07

Hi, I'm working on a similar project but ran into a problem, there is app. 9 cm of grass on my surface. I measured some points to compare the surface created out of the point cloud and the surface I would measure with my rover as I used to do before the drone came into the game.  I want to bring the whole surface 9cm lower (the height of the grass) 

If the surface was build on lines and points I select the members of the surface ,lower them and create a new surface and its done, but with a pointcloud based surface ???

• 6.  Re: Question relating to Speed optimization and Working WIth Point Clouds

Posted 08-20-2018 00:14

Create contours on the surface from the pointcloud and make a new surface of them, then just lower the lines.  

• 7.  Re: Question relating to Speed optimization and Working WIth Point Clouds

Posted 08-20-2018 02:18

Thx Fredrik, works fine, I just had to explode the contour lines before lowering them and then made a new surface from the lowered contour lines. THX @Fredrik Bergstrom