Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How Do I Model a Surface From Point Cloud Data at Different Point Densities in Different Areas of a Project?

• 1.  How Do I Model a Surface From Point Cloud Data at Different Point Densities in Different Areas of a Project?

Posted 06-20-2018 09:35

I have a large surface area measured using Drones that I want to create a Surface Model from, however some areas of the surface are more complex than others so I want to use different point densities in different areas of the project - How do I do that using the Surface Modeling and Point Cloud tools in Business Center - HCE?

• 2.  Re: How Do I Model a Surface From Point Cloud Data at Different Point Densities in Different Areas of a Project?

Posted 06-20-2018 09:44

I posted this question in response to discussions with a customer yesterday, for the benefit of all of you out there using Drones, LIDAR or Marine Bathymmetry systems to model large point clouds in Business center - HCE as I thought it would be useful to many people. I enclose a Technical reference Document as an attachment that addresses this issue in detail for those of you that need it.

The solution is tremendously powerful and creates a great composite surface that has different controllable point densities in different areas of the project, allowing you to create a model with "High Fidelity" whilst minimizing the size of the surface TIN that will optimize the time taken to compute volumes by Surface to Surface methods.

HD / LD Surface TIN Model Created From Point Cloud Data

Hope you find this useful and "Happy Modeling"

Here is a Link to the Technical Reference Document Click Here

#surface

#laserpointclouds

#bc-hce