Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Select Elements in TBC Using Existing Polygon

• 1.  Select Elements in TBC Using Existing Polygon

Posted 08-19-2018 22:15

Hi. I would like to know if there is a means of selecting elements within a project (points, lines, vectors etc.), using a pre-existing closed polygon/rectangle. 

I am trying to select a large number of points from a ground topo, within an existing closed polygon. I understand I can select using the 'Polygon Select' mouse method, but this is not the same; the polygon I have in my project is complex e.g. contains straight edges and curves, and is not easy to trace by hand (not to mention hugely time-consuming). 

The screenshot below shows the polygon and the area within which I wish to select.

I've used this same command in older (non-Trimble) sw. Wondering whether this function is either available or in the pipeline?

Many thanks in advance.

Polygon Select Screenshot

• 2.  Re: Select Elements in TBC Using Existing Polygon

Posted 08-23-2018 13:48

Hi Barney,

It looks like you are using point cloud data. Currently in TBC we do not have the ability to select a point cloud using an existing closed polygon. We can however select a portion of a surface using an existing closed polygon. Thank you for the suggestion, this would indeed be a valuable command to have in TBC.

If it's the same points you find yourself selecting, I would recommend using the Selection Sets feature in TBC (The Selection Sets Tip of the Week #16 is thanks to a comment you left a little over a year ago, cool!), or alternatively adding the point selection to it's own point cloud region using the Create Region command.

Hope this helps,

Matt

• 3.  Re: Select Elements in TBC Using Existing Polygon

Posted 08-23-2018 17:54

Thanks for your response @Matt McLean. I don't believe we run the necessary licencing to enable full point cloud functionality (regions etc.). I guess I can look forward to this feature as a general selection option in an upcoming release though. Many thanks.

• 4.  Re: Select Elements in TBC Using Existing Polygon

Posted 08-23-2018 21:34

I also think this would be a very good tool to have. 

Example would be a roundabout, very difficult to select only the point cloud points for edge of pavement to edge of pavement using the current available methods