Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Trimble Access does not preserve attribute types.

• 1.  Trimble Access does not preserve attribute types.

Posted 02-24-2020 20:04

I've created a .fxl code library on the PC. I have created attributes for certain codes, e.g. tree has 'height' (integer), diameter (real, max 1 decimal place), species (text). On transferring this to our TSC3 controllers, the attribute types are not preserved - height and diameter just become 'number'. In the raw data, if I set 'height' for a tree to 15m, it stores 15.000000000000... I then reduce the data in Magnet (we don't use TBC) and all my tree heights have tons of decimal places.

Does anyone have a workaround for this? We don't have time to individually edit decimal places out of thousands of tree points.

• 2.  Re: Trimble Access does not preserve attribute types.

Posted 02-26-2020 16:02

Hi Zack,

I'm not familiar with Magnet software but I just did a quick test with a TSC3 running Trimble Access v2017.24 and the attribute do remember the type (here I made two of them, one numeric and one integer):

This was with exporting the JobXML. I also check in the controller and it does remember if the attribute is an integer.

Maybe you can provide more detail about the TA version you are using, file export, could you share your feature library (if you want you can send it to me privately)...

Cheers

• 3.  Re: Trimble Access does not preserve attribute types.

Posted 02-26-2020 18:45

Hi Guillaume,

Thanks for the response. I'm using Trimble Access 2017.23. See below what the controller shows in the feature library (this is after creating code 'VT' on PC to have height as an integer and trunk diam to 1 decimal place.

I export to DC10 format, (have also tried SDR33 but it's worse). Magnet cannot use JobXML. I've attached a screenshot of the raw data.

Cheers,

Zach

TSC3 Attribute Types

• 4.  Re: Trimble Access does not preserve attribute types.

Posted 03-05-2020 16:19

How did you create an FXL file for TA on a PC if you don't use TBC?  In TBC's Feature Definition Manager it has a setting for number of decimal places for attributes.

• 5.  Re: Trimble Access does not preserve attribute types.

Posted 03-05-2020 22:32

You can run Feature Definition Manager separate from TBC, which is what I've done. As per my original post, I have created the setting for number of decimal places -e.g. I have set trunk diameter to 1 decimal place - but when I export raw data it doesn't preserve this.

• 6.  Re: Trimble Access does not preserve attribute types.

Posted 03-08-2020 19:40

So I had a bit further investigation and TA do preserve the attribute type. So there isn't an issue.

If you go to the feature editing in TA it displays number but in reality, it does store it as an integer (this will be modified in a future release, if it's an integer it will display integer).

The problem is coming from the format file you are using. I'm not sure what format file you can be imported in Magnet, maybe a CSV could work?

Trimble Docushare  you can found additional Style Sheets which might be a bit better for your workflow. Also, you can create your own or talk to your dealer he might be able to create one for you.

• 7.  Re: Trimble Access does not preserve attribute types.

• 8.  Re: Trimble Access does not preserve attribute types.

Posted 03-08-2020 22:13

Thanks for your help Guillame.

So Access does preserve the attribute type, but upon exporting to Trimble DC10, the attribute type is not preserved. I still see this as an issue - I'm exporting from a Trimble controller to a Trimble format and losing data types.

Looking into hopefully using style sheets - csv's work but not for attributes so that's out the window.

• 9.  Re: Trimble Access does not preserve attribute types.

Posted 03-10-2020 13:03

Do you mean CSV files can't be imported with the attributes in Magnet?

Look at the style sheet I sent earlier. It exports a CSV with the attribute (and optionally the attribute title). Just copy the XSL file in your system folder.

This is the great thing with style sheets you can absolutely customize the file and the format file too and it's very easy to install on your controller.