Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Projected surfaces, compute volume with a bottom height

• 1.  Projected surfaces, compute volume with a bottom height

Posted 07-12-2018 03:09

Hi!

Look at the pictures, i have mad a projected surface on this wall and are going to do some volume calculations. As you can see they have removed rocks betveen the meausrements and thats the volume i want. The also digged like a channel in bottom of the wall and i just want the volume from the bottom when it was flat (+38.00) and up, how do i do that? 

• 2.  Re: Projected surfaces, compute volume with a bottom height

Posted 07-12-2018 06:09

When you use the Projected surface and you want to do surface to surface volumes between two surfaces, both surfaces have to be in the same Projection Plane. When you run the Earthwork Report, it will allow you to pick Surface 1 and Surface 2 as normal - and provided both are projected surfaces and both are in the same plane you will get a result generated.

Same applies to the Cut Fill Map - you can create one of those between Projected Surfaces again provided that they were both computed in the same plane.

In the pictures - the following will be issues

1) At the right hand end where the rock cut wraps around - you would have to calculate that end separately to the main walls on Left and Right side of the cutting - because the Plane is just that - a Plane and it cannot have bends or curves in it.

2) The challenge with any surface model is like in this case you have some areas that are near horizontal (in the middle and in the ditch cuts Left and right) and then you have a vertical face on left and right side which is highly irregular. The Projected surface assumes that you have all of the data in approximately one plane and it doesnt handle a mix of Horizontal and Vertical together well - you can apply an Inclined plane to try and pick up the mix of Horizontal and Vertical better. However the Radial Surface may work better in this case and then add the Radial surface to a corridor model to compute the volumes (if you have access to that command). That was originally developed for Tunnel surface modeling and does a radial sweep surface where all the data is projected onto a cylinder for the computation of the Surface Triangles.

This looks like a pretty interesting data set / exercise - if you want to share it with me I will take a look at it today and see what I can do with it - share it on the Google Drive that you have access to already. Send me an email to let me know you have shared it.

Alan

• 3.  Re: Projected surfaces, compute volume with a bottom height

Posted 07-12-2018 10:31

I have already done the volume computations with the projected surfaces but between the one you can see that not have like a ditch around the walls and a theoretical surface, i also have made cut and fill maps for them. There is 4 surfaces to make it work. So i know how to do that. 

Know i have to compute the volume between the surfaces of the walls that not has the ditch and the walls where you can see the ditch. Because we want to know how much rock that has been removed. The problem is that the computation should NOT compute any volumes under the height +38.00, (the flat surface between the walls in one of the pictures) only volume above that. 

Is that possible? 

• 4.  Re: Projected surfaces, compute volume with a bottom height

Posted 07-12-2018 10:33

I will try to send you the project but i cant do it right now. I am on the road an the folder is 3.16GB....:)

• 5.  Re: Projected surfaces, compute volume with a bottom height

Posted 07-12-2018 06:13

• 6.  Re: Projected surfaces, compute volume with a bottom height

Posted 07-12-2018 13:15

Fredrik

You can use the Limit Box function and set that so that the bottom of the Limit is at your Elevation of +38 and then use the Create Point Cloud Region to create a Point Cloud Region for the Points that are above +38 only. Once you have those then you can use those points only to create your Projected Surfaces from which you will then determine the volumes as you need them

Hope this helps

Alan

• 7.  Re: Projected surfaces, compute volume with a bottom height

Posted 07-13-2018 00:10

I like this, thinking outside the box!  But, i seems like i cant set the bottom elevation correct, how do i do that? Here is a video.:) Set the height of a limit box - YouTube 

• 8.  Re: Projected surfaces, compute volume with a bottom height

Posted 07-13-2018 04:45

When you define a Limit Box it has an Elevation (that is at the center of the Box) and it has a Height (the total height of the box (and that is split initially 50/50 either side of the defined height forthe center of the box - so if I want the bottom of the Box at +38m as you asked, and I want e.g. 40m above the +38 elevation then I would enter 58m for the Elevation and 40m for the Height of the box - that way the Bottom of the box is at 38m and the top of the box is at 78m

Does that help?

• 9.  Re: Projected surfaces, compute volume with a bottom height

Posted 07-14-2018 02:06

Yes, that was what i was looking for!  

I also did send you an e-mail about this project. 

• 10.  Re: Projected surfaces, compute volume with a bottom height

Posted 07-13-2018 05:39

Setting the Limit Box to have the elevation range needed

Selecting the limit box data set to use as a Point Cloud Region (for future modeling needs)

Hope these help

Alan

• 11.  Re: Projected surfaces, compute volume with a bottom height

Posted 07-16-2018 08:15

Perfect! 

As always, we can do anything, its all about workflows.       

Love to have people to discuss these kind of things.