Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

What causes Select by Feature Code to be inconsistent?

• 1.  What causes Select by Feature Code to be inconsistent?

Posted 03-10-2020 15:48

I'm pretty new at TBC and I'm trying to select all of the points in my project with a particular Feature Code (231 in this case). It's behaving in a very inconsistent manner. Using the Select Points tool under Selection Explorer, I enter 231 under Feature Code (and nothing else) and it selects six points out of roughly 100. If I go to GIS: Advanced Select, choose Data Type:Point/Data w-the following property/Feature Code/Equals/231, then I get the same six points.

However if I use Advanced Select's regular expression, Data Type:Point/Data w-the following property/Feature Code/Equals Regular Expression/^231, then I get 9 points. See attached screenshots. These points are not sequential/neighboring rows. The 'extra' points I get from using the regular expression include some but not all of the codes that are similar to 2311 or 231 10:06:44.

This is intensely frustrating. Can someone please clue me in to what is going on?

• 2.  Re: What causes Select by Feature Code to be inconsistent?

Posted 03-11-2020 07:35

• 3.  Re: What causes Select by Feature Code to be inconsistent?

Posted 03-11-2020 08:37

I'm also interested in this question. I see you are using numeric codes. I am using alpha codes. For example, EP is Edge Of Paving. We add numbers to define different lines, like EP1, EP2, etc. 

I want to be able to select all my EP codes by using the asterisk " EP* "  , but that doesn't work 

• 4.  Re: What causes Select by Feature Code to be inconsistent?

Posted 07-30-2020 08:58

Hi Jesse, you may want to try just do Equals Regular Expression EP (no asterisk). It should return all points with EP included in the feature code.

• 5.  Re: What causes Select by Feature Code to be inconsistent?

Posted 03-12-2020 18:17

Also have this question and noticed the same thing. I import Access daily jobs straight into TBC and noticed it seems to only select the same code from one daily job at a time and also whether it is a survey point or as-staked point. So if i have imported two daily jobs which have a combo of as-staked and survey points i have to repeat the same advanced select process 4 times even though everthing has same code and imports to the same "points" layer on import.

• 6.  Re: What causes Select by Feature Code to be inconsistent?

Posted 03-13-2020 13:45

I do not know exactly what's going on with your particular situation, but I would approach the problem the following way. Apologies if you are already aware of this approach & have tried it. Maybe it'll help someone else.

-In the "home" tab, look in the "data" grouping

-Click on "points" button (A)

-That opens a project tab named "points spreadsheet" (B)

-Click the top of the feature code column. This filters your points by feature code (C)

-Click the arrow next to your furthest left column (point ID) (D)

-Cntl click to include all the points you want. This will select all of them. (D)

-You can click on the "Plan View" tab to get back to your project & see that they are all selected. (E)

This won't work if you had some codes with 23 in the middle. Only for the codes that begin with 23, or EP, etc...

Hope this helps.

• 7.  Re: What causes Select by Feature Code to be inconsistent?

Posted 07-27-2020 13:18

Appreciate the work around. It does ok for smaller jobs.

• 8.  RE: Re: What causes Select by Feature Code to be inconsistent?

Posted 12-17-2021 08:38
    This information worked great for me, and was very helpful!  Thank you for sharing this!

------------------------------
    David Moe
    ------------------------------

• 9.  Re: What causes Select by Feature Code to be inconsistent?

Posted 07-27-2020 13:18

Bumping for visibility. Anyone got any ideas?

• 10.  Re: What causes Select by Feature Code to be inconsistent?

Posted 07-30-2020 08:51

Hi NC, 

I tested this scenario with two basic jxl files and the Advanced Select works fine for me. Maybe we could take a look at your dataset?

• 11.  Re: What causes Select by Feature Code to be inconsistent?

Posted 08-03-2020 12:22

Here are the .jxl files for the job that we most recently had this issue with.

Attachment(s)

zip
    JAM072019.jxl.zip   32 KB 1 version
    zip
    JAM072320A.jxl.zip   40 KB 1 version
    zip
    JAM072120A.jxl.zip   43 KB 1 version

• 12.  Re: What causes Select by Feature Code to be inconsistent?

Posted 08-03-2020 13:00

Hi NC, 

I think I find where the problem is. Those points with feature code 231 are all As-Staked Line Points. If you choose a different data type such as Points or As-Staked Points, they will not be selected.

Unfortunately, TBC does not allow a wild enough search to combine points, as-staked points, and other point types altogether. The best workaround I can think of is to start with one type, do the search, then switch the selection method to "All data, and add to current selection" as below. 

Hope it helps. Thank you.

Rui

• 13.  Re: What causes Select by Feature Code to be inconsistent?

Posted 08-03-2020 13:16

Thank you for help, Rui. I appreciate your diagnosis and recommendation.

As a user, I can't believe Trimble was so completely short-sighted that they designed a workflow this way. I can't even distinguish which 'type' of Point each row is when I pull up the Points view from the Data section. This hyper-specificity is ridiculous.