Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Where can I enter a fill factor or compaction factor?

• 1.  Where can I enter a fill factor or compaction factor?

Posted 02-13-2020 18:59

Coming from AGTEK and there is normally a fill factor associated with building pads, roads, etc.  Where can I account for this in TBC?

• 2.  Re: Where can I enter a fill factor or compaction factor?

Posted 02-13-2020 22:55

This is done in the Materials Manager and is used in Takeoff and Mass Haul Calculations - you enter it in against an Earthen Material Category Material. We allow entry of two values

1) The Hauling Bulkage Factor (this is the expansion of the Material from In Situ State to In truck State) - e.g. if you dig out 5 cy of material and it becomes 5.5 in the truck it is a 10% Expansion Factor

2) Shrinkage % - this is the Shrinkage of the material from its In Situ State to its compacted Fill State - i.e. if it shrinks by 7% then you would enter 7% (that is equivalent to 93% of original

3) The third factor is computed by the software and that is the factor from Loose Haulage to Compacted fill i.e. if you have 5 cy of material in situ, you dig it out and it becomes 5.5 in Loose Haul and then becomes 4.5 in Compacted Fill (10% Shrinkage) then it has an 18.2% Hauling compaction factor (1/5.5) because it reduces by 1 cy from 5.5 cy.

If you don't care about the Loose Haul State only the Shrinkage then enter the Shrinkage value only and leave the Haul Bulkage factor at 0% 

Here is a screen shot of the Materials Manager

Alan

• 3.  Re: Where can I enter a fill factor or compaction factor?

Posted 02-14-2020 19:04

Fill Factor

Thanks for your quick reply Alan.  Relative to 15% noted above would I use 15% in the "Shrinkage %" and 0% in the "Hauling Bulkage %" to get the equivalent?

• 4.  Re: Where can I enter a fill factor or compaction factor?

Posted 02-15-2020 05:37

In that text (I assume from Agtek) it is a little different to the normal way to compute it 

If we apply 15% shrinkage 100cy cut becomes 85cy fill. 

In Agtek if you use a fill ratio of 1.15 then that is saying to fill a 100 cy hole you need 115 cy of fill to do it.

While the two numbers sound the same they are not quite the same 

Agtek ratio is 100/115 = .869 or 13.1% Shrinkage@

Trimble ratio is 85/100 = .85 or 15% Shrinkage

So if you want the same numbers you need to put in 13.1% in TBC which is the same as Agteks approach

Hope that answers the question

Alan

• 5.  Re: Where can I enter a fill factor or compaction factor?

Posted 02-15-2020 08:32

Enter that into the Shrinkage %

Alan