Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How to model bottom of MSE wall

• 1.  How to model bottom of MSE wall

Posted 01-10-2020 07:26

I have the bottom of an MSE wall that I want to model for machine control. I created points for each elevation then created a linestring to join them. Trying to figure out the best way to create a surface so the steps are shown correctly.

Attached is the VCL file.

Thanks,

Pablo

Attachment(s)

zip
    Bottom MSE Wall.vcl.zip   1.84 MB 1 version

• 2.  Re: How to model bottom of MSE wall

Posted 01-10-2020 08:11
      |   view attached

I have modelled it how I would normally model a foundation on one of my sites, I had to move some vertices a couple of millimeters as some of your steps overlapped. I have made them one meter wide as I don't have any idea of the spec of the wall but that can be adjusted to whatever width you need to with no problems/

Attachment(s)

zip
    Bottom MSE Wall Option.zip   63 KB 1 version

• 3.  Re: How to model bottom of MSE wall

Posted 01-10-2020 11:16

Matthew - Do you mind walking me a little more on what you did. This is a U-shaped wall and I want to grade in between both sides of it as shown below in red. And also how did you model the finished ground (I'm assuming that's what the higher elevation lines are).

Thanks for your help.

MSE Wall footing

• 4.  Re: How to model bottom of MSE wall

Posted 01-13-2020 02:16

I'll throw together a little video this afternoon, sorry for the delay, working on UK time here

• 5.  Re: How to model bottom of MSE wall

Posted 01-13-2020 05:41

Sounds good. Thanks a lot for your help.

• 6.  Re: How to model bottom of MSE wall

Posted 01-14-2020 07:02

It's a long old process getting a long video on here. This is a little insight into how I would go about this.

Hopefully this is helpful in some way

• 7.  Re: How to model bottom of MSE wall

Posted 01-10-2020 08:36

I have yet to do one MSE wall in TBC.  I have in terramodel done sperate alingments on the MSE walls,  Top Wall,  Bottom Wall, Finsih grade  and also the Face of Wall.   This is a bit more work up front and it will make it easier when building the design to be able to pick a grade I want to use and run with it and not worry about offsets.  

• 8.  Re: How to model bottom of MSE wall

Posted 01-17-2020 15:01

Hi,

This Ben Granillo,on the walls I've done, I will run a line string on both edges of the footing reflecting the steps. At the steps I will run a break line across the footing at the bottom of the step and top. The top break line of the step and the bottom break line of the step are offset about a 0.10' from each other so I take away the overlap. (just a bit I do so it doesn't slow me down. use if you want). Try this and see if it helps.

Ben 

• 9.  Re: How to model bottom of MSE wall

Posted 01-20-2020 11:16

Thanks Ben.

• 10.  Re: How to model bottom of MSE wall

Posted 01-21-2020 01:21

Hi Ben,

I used to do that, but now I create a 2D linestring at the center of trench then edit it and use the vertical edit to add VPIs for the steps. I generally make the steps 2mm as this makes them almost vertical in Machine Control. After I have created the VPIs for the center line I offset it in both directions for 1/2 the width of the final trench. This automatically makes the software triangulate the top and bottom of the steps straight across the trench as they are VPI points which become automatic triangulation points in surface generation. This cuts out the need to edit the lines along the side of the trench to the correct level and also cuts out the need for breaklines at the top and bottom of the steps.

I found that doing this generally increased my efficiency. If you use the VPI method to elevate your lines youi set the distance along the line for your level, so there are never any overlaps, and it is eaasy to correct if you type in the wrong level at the top/bottom of the step.

It also means that there is a center of trench line for the machine driver to select as an alignment within machine control for more accuracy.