Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Auto-advance - Trim/Extend Tool

• 1.  Auto-advance - Trim/Extend Tool

Posted 11-16-2018 05:19

I would like to see an auto advance function added to the Trim/Extend tool. I think this would a great UI and UX improvement when trim/extending multiple lines to the same reference line. You can do this now by tabbing but it is not as quick and smooth. This is a very critical tool when cleaning up linework from and engineer. 

Eventually I would also like to see the option to extend/trim multiple lines to a single reference line.

Current UI

Wish List

Thank you!

• 2.  Re: Auto-advance - Trim/Extend Tool

Posted 11-16-2018 08:04

The function just below the one you are using is what you want.

Multiple lines to bounding line.

I use it regularly and it works a treat.

• 3.  Re: Auto-advance - Trim/Extend Tool

Posted 11-16-2018 08:46

haha whoops. Yes it is, I knew that at one point. Sometimes I get plugged in and narrow visioned. Thanks  @Matthew Pitt, that is what I needed.

I still think the auto advanced would be useful in both places, single line trim/extend and multiple line trim/extend. I think the below image is a good example of why.

The image below represents a subdivision that I am creating a model for. I am currently going through and extending/trimming all of the driveways to hit the edge of pavement so that I can then use these for my break lines. If there was an auto-advance, I could select the right side of the road and keep working my way around using either the single line of the multiple line option. I could zoom out and select the whole side but I like to keep my zoom box at a level that I can visually see that the lines have intersected the line I choose (approximately 4 driveways, 8 lines). This way if one of the lines didn't intersect for some reason I can quickly adjust without having to go through the whole corridor to find the missing link.

If there is a better way of doing this I am open for suggestions. I know the initial linework clean up of a drawing can be very tedious and quality and time invested largely depends on the source of the data, so the more shortcuts and tricks the better.

• 4.  Re: Auto-advance - Trim/Extend Tool

Posted 11-16-2018 09:17

Agreed, it's pretty easy to get sucked into tunnel vision with very repetitive tasks.

Drives are a pain, no doubt.

100% agree that auto advance has a place in both functions, if only because of the selection system in TBC (Shift Click to add to selection).

Because it's all too easy especially if you're trimming a lot of lines to slip off shift and have to re-select the lot.