Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Is there a trick to get the new Siteworks emulator to work?

• 1.  Is there a trick to get the new Siteworks emulator to work?

Posted 02-04-2019 12:39

I've tried on two separate machines with the same results: It will not run without a license.  What am I doing wrong here?  Thanks in advance.

• 2.  Re: Is there a trick to get the new Siteworks emulator to work?

Posted 02-04-2019 15:12

Corbitt: What happens when you run the software? Any messages etc?

• 3.  Re: Is there a trick to get the new Siteworks emulator to work?

Posted 02-04-2019 15:31

Yes, it says Application License Check Fail.  I've attached a screenshot.

• 4.  Re: Is there a trick to get the new Siteworks emulator to work?

Posted 02-04-2019 23:33

I have asked the product Manager to respond on this one - sorry for the delay here - I will try to get you an answer tomorrow

Alan

• 5.  Re: Is there a trick to get the new Siteworks emulator to work?

Posted 02-05-2019 07:23

Thank you. I appreciate all of your help!  I have downloaded the emulator from two separate locations, but neither seems to work. Here are the locations:  

http://heavycivil.trimble.com/Registration-SiteworksEmulator_SCS900EmulatorPage.html 

Trimble Docushare 

• 6.  Re: Is there a trick to get the new Siteworks emulator to work?

Posted 02-05-2019 08:34

Hello,

Please install Trimble Installation Manager even if you don't have a license, as that is used to install some licensing DLLs that Siteworks emulator requires in order to run. Try that and post back here if it works or does not.  

www.trimble.com/installationmanager

• 7.  Re: Is there a trick to get the new Siteworks emulator to work?

Posted 02-05-2019 09:57

Both machines that I have tried also have the Installation Manager installed.  I reinstalled it as an admin and then ran as an admin just to see if that made a difference and I'm still getting the same license errors.  

• 8.  Re: Is there a trick to get the new Siteworks emulator to work?

Posted 02-05-2019 08:35

Thanks Steve

Alan

• 9.  Re: Is there a trick to get the new Siteworks emulator to work?

Posted 02-05-2019 10:30

Sorry for the troubles Corbitt,  I'll have to have our development team look into this further.  Will post back when I hear something.  

Do you have any other licensed Trimble products on there?  Might you have a version of Siteworks or SCS900 on there with an expired warranty by chance? 

• 10.  Re: Is there a trick to get the new Siteworks emulator to work?

Posted 02-05-2019 11:04

No problem.  No, there's no other licensed data collector software.  I'm attempting to install on two different laptops that only have TBC installed.  Thanks for the help.   

• 11.  Re: Is there a trick to get the new Siteworks emulator to work?

Posted 02-07-2019 09:30

This issue was solved via email by the good folks here.  Thanks for all the help.  @Steve DiBenedetto @Alex Harrington

• 12.  Re: Is there a trick to get the new Siteworks emulator to work?

Posted 02-07-2019 09:36

Could you post what the solution was so we have it for anyone else that may

have the issue

Thanks

Alan

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 9:32 AM corbitt.shoffner@redstone-cg.com <

• 13.  Re: Is there a trick to get the new Siteworks emulator to work?

Posted 02-07-2019 09:41

Absolutely:

Completely uninstall Siteworks, and delete the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Trimble Siteworks if still visible.
    Then go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Trimble\Common and rename the license.xml file to licenseOLD.xml
    Re-install the emulator and it should run. 

• 14.  Re: Is there a trick to get the new Siteworks emulator to work?

Posted 02-07-2019 09:44

Awesome

Thanks

Alan

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 9:40 AM corbitt.shoffner@redstone-cg.com <

• 15.  Re: Is there a trick to get the new Siteworks emulator to work?

Posted 10-20-2020 15:53

The Siteworks emulator is throwing this exact error for me as well.

After uninstalling,

• "C:\Program Files (x86)\Trimble Siteworks" does not exist on my system (in the x86 version or otherwise)
    • "C:\Program Files (x86)\Trimble\Common" does not contain a file "license.xml" or any .xml files at all. There is no "license.xml" present in "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)" or any of their subfolders, even after re-installing Trimble Siteworks 1.20.
    • I have "Trimble Installation Manager" installed on my system and up-to-date.
    • The Siteworks emulator used to work on my system, months ago

I haven't been able to get past the application license check error code 2147746308 using any of the tips here. Any other ideas? @Steve DiBenedetto @Alex Harrington

An additional question I've had related to the SCS900 emulator (and possibly to Siteworks once I get it working): where can I configure the source data / Trimble Synchronizer directory? The SCS900 emulators on all the computers in our office seem to automatically use Rover 31, which is a real device we use in the field; anything we want to view on the emulator we have to add to this device, which is undesirable.

Thanks,

Stephen

• 16.  Re: Is there a trick to get the new Siteworks emulator to work?

Posted 10-20-2020 16:05

Hi Stephen,

Can you try running Trimble Installation Manager, tap the "show all" box at the bottom, and install Aerial Imaging. While you probably don't need the aerial imaging app, it will install some licensing DLLs that the Siteworks emulator is currently looking for which causes that error to get thrown. 

As for linking to your Rover 31.  Delete out the allsites.xml file from your C:\\Trimble Syncronizer Data\SCS900 Data folder (or rename it to AllSites.xmlOLD) and then the next time you start SCS900 and/or Siteworks you should be faced with the option to select the data path for the SCS900 Data folder.  When doing that, change the "PC" in the file path to something unique that you want to call your emulator device, like StephensEmulator. That will then create a folder, which is the equivalent to a data collector in the C:\\Trimble Synchronizer Data folder.  

• 17.  Re: Is there a trick to get the new Siteworks emulator to work?

Posted 10-20-2020 17:38

Thanks Steve.

I have "Show All" checked, but Aerial Imaging isn't an option? I've tried refreshing and tabbing through the different screens.

The trick for the Rover 31 linking worked. An extra wrinkle was that it was originally pointing to Rover 31 on a network drive sync directory accessible by others on our team, and renaming the file as instructed resulted in it being almost immediately replaced by software running on other machines. I got around this by temporarily disconnecting from the network and launching the emulator, then was able to configuring it to use the local sync directory that I have TBC, SCS Data Manager and Office Synchronizer all configured to use.

Thanks for your help.

• 18.  Re: Is there a trick to get the new Siteworks emulator to work?

Posted 10-21-2020 08:22

I guess Aerial imaging was pulled from TIM.  I think that installing almost any item visible in TIM that has the "product activation" line enabled should work.  Something like FieldLink should work.  Then you should be able to uninstall it to remove that program, but would keep the licensing DLLs. 

Admittedly this is a pain, but for now with the way that Siteworks checks for licenses (or lack thereof in the case of emulators) the only way to avoid this error is to get the Trimble licensing DLLs installed, which is done via TIM. 

• 19.  Re: Is there a trick to get the new Siteworks emulator to work?

Posted 10-21-2020 10:13

For some reason installing FieldLink appeared to have no effect on the error either.

So I decided to fire up Process Monitor from Sysinternals to gain some insight into this "License.xml" file that Siteworks uses.

It appears that Siteworks first checks the registry (HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Trimble Mobile\Files\License) for the location of the license file, which on my machine ended up being "C:\ProgramData\Trimble\Common\license.xml" (not in "Program Files (x86)" mentioned above) - maybe this can vary from machine to machine.

With the .xml file located, it was a simple matter to rename it as described earlier in this thread, et voila the license error message is gone.

Siteworks still reads the registry key, attempts to read the license file which returns NAME_NOT_FOUND, and then proceeds to display a message informing me that the application is not licensed for this controller and that it will run in emulation mode.

Success!

I'm not sure how my system came to have a license file that wouldn't work in the first place, but it seems Siteworks behaves properly only with either no license file, or a license file with a valid license - my copy has "UNLICENSED" in the serial number field, and product name is identified as "RFC Production v1.0" (not sure if this helps trace file origin).

(partial screen-capture, omits part of the file)

Thanks to @Steve DiBenedetto for your help on this!

• 20.  Re: Is there a trick to get the new Siteworks emulator to work?

Posted 10-21-2020 11:14

Cheers Stephen!

Great info on the registry settings!  Quite a bit of detective work you

did.  Now that you jogged my memory, there were changes to the location of

some of the license files with some of the more recent versions of TIM and

Siteworks, which you successfully found.

Sorry for the troubles.  Glad you got things working!

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 11:13 AM stephen.gibson@keex.net <trimble@jiveon.com>

• 21.  Re: Is there a trick to get the new Siteworks emulator to work?

Posted 02-07-2019 09:33

Thanks for the closure Corbitt

Alan