Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How to create corridor material layers from designer provided roadway breaklines

• 1.  How to create corridor material layers from designer provided roadway breaklines

Posted 10-11-2019 10:01

If we have designer provided breaklines for finish grade and all subgrade layers, is there a workflow that would allow us to use the corridor commands and material layers to perform a volume takeoff on those subgrade layers? We are specifically looking for a solution to quantify the "daylight" portions of those subgrade layers, which extend out to existing ground on the sideslopes. We can't quantify these sections using the typical surface to surface reports or via subgrade adjustments due to the trapezoidal/triangular shape of the section. We are hoping to use the corridor module with designer provided breaklines in a way that doesn't require rebuilding the corridor instructions from scratch. Thanks in advance! 

• 2.  Re: How to create corridor material layers from designer provided roadway breaklines

Posted 10-16-2019 03:52

Hello Devin,

not sure if I fully understand your problem. I assume you've got 3D polylines running the length of your road. Edge of pavement, top and bottom of ditch and batter and so on.

You can create a corridor and template using those lines. Select one as your main alignment, and create a alignment using this existing line. This line should preferably be the longest of them.

Afterwards you create a corridor, select the just created alignment and you add all the other polylines as "reference lines".

They then appear as nodes in your cross section. You will have to create at least on template and have to connect the appropriate nodes and assign a material. From there you can create the corridor surfaces again and start computing volumes.

Hope that helps a little bit.

• 3.  Re: How to create corridor material layers from designer provided roadway breaklines

Posted 10-21-2019 17:44

If you have a surface already built, you can add these as an instruction in the corridor template. It works pretty well. I have used this when I have received corridor surfaces as a LandXML.