Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Creating Multiple cross-section and Export it with Details

• 1.    Creating Multiple cross-section and Export it with Details

Posted 08-29-2018 02:58

Hi , 

I have a surface and road centerline (CL) I want to create Multiple cross-sections over that surface, I used (create surface cross-section) tool that give me cross-section as below that can be changed based on distance ( at low left of the image)

How to create Multiple cross-sections over road centerline (CL) for the surface ?
    How to export those cross-sections with the text details ?

if there are any tutorials explain that process in TBC that will be helpful.

• 2.  Re:   Creating Multiple cross-section and Export it with Details

Posted 05-01-2019 12:49

@Alan Sharp I'm also wondering how to export/plot the "stored" cross-sections, any ideas?

• 3.  Re:   Creating Multiple cross-section and Export it with Details

Posted 05-01-2019 13:25

Veronica / Ahmed

the way to generate Cross Sections that can be Printed, Saved to a PDF File or Exported to e.g. a DWG File is to use the Sheet Layout Process. There are videos on this in the CEC - TBC for construction forum already.

In summary you go to the Sheet Layout Menu, you select the Drafting Templates command and that drops you to the Folder where the Drafting Templates are stored. Find the Drafting Template that has the Paper Size you require - there are Metric and US Feet Templates for all Paper Sizes - Look for the ones named as follows

• A1 Planset (Landscape) (ENG).VCL (or A0, A2, A3, A4 etc.)
    • ANSI Sheet Template (All Sizes and Types).vcl

Drag and drop the appropriate file into the TBC Graphics

In the Project Explorer you will now find the Plan Set that you just imported - if you expand it and look through the Sheet Sets in the Plan Set you will find one or more Cross Section Sheet Sets. Find the one that makes sense to you.

If you click on the Cross Section Sheet Set and look at Properties - you will see there is a property to connect the Sheet Set to a Corridor - select your corridor from the list that you want to create sections for. You can also Right Click the Sheet Set and select Edit to achieve the same thing. Edit will open the Editor and allow you to see the Cross Sections based on the Setup in the Sheet Set. You may need to go through the Settings to get the setup that you require for your sections layout. The Videos in the Drafting Blog post will explain how all of those work. You may want to update the drafting Template with your own Title Box and Settings once you have figured all of this out - let me know if you need help.

As you change the settings for the Cross Sections the Editor will display the results - check that you are getting what you want.

Once you have what you want, you can go back to Project Explorer, find the Sheet Set again and Right Click and Select Build Sheets - this will generate you all of the Cross Sections laid out on Sheets of the size that you imported.

If you want to create a "Large Single Sheet"  that contains all of your Cross Sections you would need to create a Sheet Set Template that has a very large sheet defined, you can then create all the cross sections on that very large Single Sheet (This is how both Civil 3D and Bentley Open Roads / InRoads / Geopak etc do this).

Once you have your Cross Section Sheets as you want them you can use the Print Plan Set command to Plot or output the Sheets to a PDF file. If you want to export these to eg DWG Paper Space then you can select all of the Sheets created in the Project Explorer and then Export to DWG file and you will get your Cross Section output to CAD.

Hope that this answers the question - if not watch the videos at the link below to get more details or ask for more help on the issues that you want to solve

Click Here For Link

Thanks

Alan

• 4.  Re:   Creating Multiple cross-section and Export it with Details

Posted 05-01-2019 16:49

I just posted a Drafting Template that allows you to create a "Big Sheet" of Cross Sections (1000" x 100" Landscape for US Feet projects), I will also create a similar one for Metric next if you are in Metric Land ...

Click Here for the File Download US Feet

Click Here for File Download Metric

1. Simply import the VCL into your project - this will add the Plan Set to your Project Explorer
    2. Select the Big Sheet Plan Set in the project Explorer and look at its properties - change the Referenced Corridor Model from None to your corridor
    3. Right Click the Plan Set and select Edit to Review the Cross Sections and Change the Cross Section Settings to suit what you are doing - the preview pane will show you what your output will look like as a check
    4. Right Click the Plan Set and select Build Sheets to complete the process and build your "Big Sheet of Sections"
    5. Open the Sheet that was created - review and make sure you got what you wanted. Provided you are happy, you can now either
      1. Select all of the Sections in the Sheet View and then Export to DWG / DXF to create a CAD File to share - this creates "Model Space Data for AutoCAD"
      2. Select the Sheet in the Project Explorer and then export to DWG or DXF - this will create "Paper Space Data for AutoCAD"
      3. From the Sheet you can also select Print Plan Set and output the Big Sheet to PDF

Watch this space for an update with the Metric Version of this

Thanks

Alan

• 5.  Re:   Creating Multiple cross-section and Export it with Details

Posted 05-02-2019 05:54

Thank you Alan! 

• 6.  Re:   Creating Multiple cross-section and Export it with Details

Posted 05-02-2019 06:07

Veronica

Please send me your contact details if you are interested in being added to my mailing list for Power User Group - I am happy to help you as needed

My email address is alan_sharp@trimble.com

Alan

Sent from my iPhone