Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How to move Side Slope Elevations from horizontal nodes to vertical nodes?

• 1.  How to move Side Slope Elevations from horizontal nodes to vertical nodes?

Posted 06-27-2019 19:25

Is there a workflow to change the elevation component of side slope linestrings from the horizontal nodes to the vertical nodes?

I have a take off that I am using the Create Side Slope command to build out curb and gutter geometry. The elevations are noted at the front of gutter. Creating the template for the curb structure was simple as advertised. One issue I have is the the front of gutter on outside radii are squared off while the curb continues on the radius. The side slope command squares off the curb and gutter linestrings to match the front of gutter. This shouldn't be incredibly difficult to fix, just edit the linestings inserting PI Arcs with the necessary radii. The problem with this approach is that the created linestrings  have their elevations tied to their horizontal rather than their vertical element. Many times changing the corners from straight to arcs is limited by horizontal nodes that are only there to hold the elevation.

• 2.  Re: How to move Side Slope Elevations from horizontal nodes to vertical nodes?

Posted 06-28-2019 10:44

Marc

I can call you on this question directly to discuss the right approach if this doesn't answer your question

From what I can see in your example drawings is that the Z call outs are on the right angled lines - but those lines should be curved corners (front of gutter as you call it) - and so you really need to transfer an elevation to the PC and PT points of the new curve that you want to insert and to do that I would use the method as shown in the PUG 2.0 Training materials in Exercise 99 (at the base of this link)

https://community.trimble.com/community/find-answers/civil-engineering-and-construction/business-center-hce/blog/2019/06… 

You need to use the Incoming / Outgoing slope to compute the Z values at the PC and PT points and then sideslope will work well from that linestring with the PC and PT elevations and the curved corner using the offset of the front of gutter. Just watch what happens to the elevated point at the right angle corner when you add a fillet curve of the right radius on the corner - you may still have that in the curved line and you should likely delete that elevation and set it to ? *undefined" and then just carry the PC and PT elevations into the model.

Let me know if this helps / if not we can do a call later today to discuss

Alan

• 3.  Re: How to move Side Slope Elevations from horizontal nodes to vertical nodes?

Posted 06-28-2019 12:18

Thanks for your response Alan. I follow your approach.

I was creating the sideslope from the right angled lines, which work great, except at the C&G radii because the sideslope command inserts horizontal PIs with Z components at the maximum sampling rate. Sometimes these HPIs fall inside the PCs/PTs which doesn't allow for a simple fillet of the segments with the required radii. I think that a quick fix may be to simply increase the max sampling distance to something like 1000', (Confirmed, that this fixes the ability to do a simple fillet).

A nice feature would be to allow the linestrings created by a corridor or sideslope template have the Zs attached as VPIs rather than part of the horizontal coordinates.

MD