Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Average cut between 2 surfaces

• 1.  Average cut between 2 surfaces

Posted 11-05-2020 06:14

Hi

So I'm trying to calculate the average Cut-value between two surfaces, and was hoping it would be possible to grab it from a report, possibly based on a Cut/Fill Map.

Currently what I've come up with is to use the macro SurfaceToGrid, enable only the "Compute elevations differences", select the two surfaces, put in a small grid and then export to a XYZ-file.

Import this into a spreadsheet and average out the cut-values.

Decent workflow, but was hoping for something a bit more automated that would generate an actual report.

Optimal if the value would just be part of the EarthworkReport, that already show the maximum and minimum cut/fill values.

• 2.  Re: Average cut between 2 surfaces

Posted 11-05-2020 09:05

You could always run a takeoff report. Are you looking for actual average depths? Or you looking for locations of averages?

• 3.  Re: Average cut between 2 surfaces

Posted 11-06-2020 00:42

True, but the Takeoff Report requires "Site Construction Edition" and in this case only "Survey Advanced Edition" is available.

Basically just need a single average of cut for the entire site - it is a blasting site, so I'm thinking the average cut is simply used for a quick way to guesstimate the drill time.

• 4.  Re: Average cut between 2 surfaces

Posted 11-06-2020 00:51

Also, running the Takeoff Report means you have to setup the site, if you have just imported to TTMs, or your surface is based on a site measurement from Siteworks, setting up the takeoff site to be able to run the report takes which makes it a bit troublesome.

• 5.  Re: Average cut between 2 surfaces

Posted 11-05-2020 17:10

Noted that it is a requirement - will make sure that Development here about it to see if can be addressed

• 6.  Re: Average cut between 2 surfaces

Posted 11-06-2020 00:43

Thanks!

• 7.  Re: Average cut between 2 surfaces

Posted 11-06-2020 04:46

You could do a Cut FIll Map between the two surfaces and then look at the Max Min values of the CF Map and take half those values - if it is a blast site then it is all Cut so 50% of the Max Cut will be close to the average I guess?

Alan

• 8.  Re: Average cut between 2 surfaces

Posted 11-09-2020 02:11

That's pretty much what is done today - but they are after a calculated average.

If there is a top/high-point in the original terrain, that will result in a high Max Cut, of which the half wont necessarily come close to the average.

• 9.  Re: Average cut between 2 surfaces

Posted 11-13-2020 11:22

You could do an earthwork report, then take the total cut volume divided by the total cut area for an average cut depth.