Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

What is this Loading Graphics for Plan View slowdown? Anybody else? 4.11

• 1.  What is this Loading Graphics for Plan View slowdown? Anybody else? 4.11

Posted 07-11-2018 13:20

When I load a large cad file I keep getting this. Why does it take so long? Is there a setting somewhere?

• 2.  Re: What is this Loading Graphics for Plan View slowdown? Anybody else? 4.11

Posted 07-11-2018 16:43

Shea

Check Project Settings - View Settings - DIsplay and see what you Show All Lines as Solid is set to. I have had this a few times recently and if you have it set to No and you have a large CAD file with lots of dashed lines etc in it it can slow you down graphically (it is being looked at) - this came up 3x week before last and it was the answer in all 3 cases.

Alan

• 3.  Re: What is this Loading Graphics for Plan View slowdown? Anybody else? 4.11

Posted 08-07-2018 07:14

Perfect! This have been an issue for us for a long time and finally we know how to work arund it, thanks!

• 4.  Re: What is this Loading Graphics for Plan View slowdown? Anybody else? 4.11

Posted 07-27-2018 13:27

Alan,

I'm having a similar issue and your fix did speed it up. But, I'm using custom linestyles that I created with the Line Type Editor to help me differentiate as-built underground utilities. Is there a solution that will allow me to continue viewing my line styles and still not slow everything down?

• 5.  Re: What is this Loading Graphics for Plan View slowdown? Anybody else? 4.11

Posted 07-27-2018 14:57

I will find out how development are getting on with optimization work in that - while editing and getting your model as you need it use layers colors and lineweights in preference to linestyles and switch over to linestyles when ready to create outputs etc.

I can look at this for you next week if you want to share your file with me so I can see what you are contending with

Alan

Sent from my iPhone

• 6.  Re: What is this Loading Graphics for Plan View slowdown? Anybody else? 4.11

Posted 08-09-2018 10:15

We are having a similar issue in TBC Civil. We have a large roadway project with lots of utilities. Both above grade and below. Lately the refresh rate has slowed significantly. it takes up to 1 minute to refresh. Has any one else experienced something similar?

• 7.  Re: What is this Loading Graphics for Plan View slowdown? Anybody else? 4.11

Posted 08-09-2018 16:46

Patrick

I looked at your project and it has the same issues that we have found before - if you change the following you will find enormous change to your performance

1) Go to Project Settings - View - Display Options and change the Setting called Display All Lines as Solid to Yes (it was set to No). This converts all imported CAD lines to Solid Lines from a Graphics perspective (you can revert back if you need to). Displaying complex dashed and dotted linestyles on Large CAD files is what hogs graphics memory and slows you down. We are not sure what changed on some peoples computers as all our shipping templates have it set this way, but for some reason some customers PCs have had this setting changed from the Yes to No and they have seen the "slow down" as a result.

2) Your Standard Text Style is set to use Courier New Text Font. This is a True Type Font vs a stroked (vector line font) and when there is a lot of True Type TExt in a drawing that too will slow you down. I changed the Text Style for Standard to use a Stroked Font like Avongrnh which looks nice and uses the Vector Font method - this is way faster to hold in memory and regenerate than True Type Fonts.

Just making these two changes made a marked difference to your project on my computer.

I would recommend that you have your team download the Optimization for Speed document that I have posted on the Community - that covers many tips that you can use to make your projects faster - especially the larger projects and where you have a lot of source CAD or PDF data.

Search for "Speed" on the community or use the following link to find the document

Technical reference Document - Managing Your Data for Speed.docx 

Thanks for sharing

Alan

• 8.  Re: What is this Loading Graphics for Plan View slowdown? Anybody else? 4.11

Posted 05-18-2020 21:08

Hi Alan,

I understand that concept with the line styles and that it converts in worst case one line segment into thousands of tiny little ones. But that's more of an issue if you zoom out.

But zooming out is smooth and without any delay on my machine. I have the issue with zooming in to about 30 cm and just a few lines left on the screen.

I have enabled the show as solid and even set my lines to solid and no text visible.

I've got a mid size road model with given triangles for the subgrade quantities I have to cleanup, so I'm zooming in and out and rotate a lot in 3D view. And usually with the last mouse wheel click it starts to rebuild in plan or 3D view with just a few lines left on the screen. I don't think it's line style related.

I've got 16 GB out of 32 of RAM left, so once it has rebuilt something it could just keep it in memory all the time and not forget it within a few seconds. And looking at the Quadro graphics RAM and the main RAM, they don't seem to change  during the rebuilt. So what is it actually doing?

I have the feeling it's getting worse the larger the file gets. With all the surfaces and Cut/Fill maps the file is meanwhile at 400 MB.

TBC 5.30