Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

License will not detached from server.

• 1.  License will not detached from server.

Posted 02-03-2019 17:40

I can see the server license and utilize TBC on my laptop over my network. But the option to check out the license is not available. If I reboot both computers the option to check out becomes available but when I try to check out the license I get back error panel stating an unexpected error had occurred and to reboot the program. Once I reboot the option to check out is now not available even though I can see the server and the available licenses in the license manager dialog box. I have gone through the HASP trouble shooting and can't find what is wrong. Does anyone have any ideas?

• 2.  Re: License will not detached from server.

Posted 02-04-2019 21:21

How many seats do you have on your server license that you are trying to check one out from. If there is only one available, we do not allow the check out the license if it is already in use (which if you have already got it in use would be the case) - see notes at the end of this thread. You can change your Search Type to Local Hardware so that TBC on the Laptop on next restart doesn't find the Network License and try to use it.  Then you should be able to Detach the License from the Server and Take it remote.

Thanks

Alan

• 3.  Re: License will not detached from server.

Posted 02-05-2019 09:14

Alan,

I have one license on the server.  I have successfully checked out in the

past, but its always been a bit of a challenge.  Having to restart the

program on the server and laptop several times to get the option to

checkout.  What usually works if I go into the Sentinel Admin Control

Center and change the allowed checkout duration on both computers then I

will get the option to checkout on my laptop.

Even if I get that option now. When I go to check out the license I get an

error dialog box that an “unexpected error was encountered and restart

program and try again”.  Doing this does nothing.  If I restart the program

the option to check out is not available and If I go through the above

again I will get the option to check out again, but get the error dialog

box..

I switch computers last year and a new license key with it and its never

worked correctly since then.  I have been trying to determine if it’s a

network setting or something in the program.  I have all my network setting

exactly the same between the server and laptop.  I have also shut down the

firewall just to see if that was the cause. But the problem was unchanged.

I can work on my laptop with the full license when I am on my home network.

It see the server and license just fine. This is very perplexing.

Any help is much appreciated.  This is a huge issue when I am traveling

since I can not use my license on my laptop.

Thank you,

Paul Roeder

AllRoed Consulting, LLC

paul@allroed.com

503-964-4980

Sent: Monday, February 4, 2019 8:22 PM

To: Paul Roeder <paul@allroed.com>

Subject: Re:  - Re: License

will not detached from server.

Trimble <https://community.trimble.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

Re: License will not detached from server.

reply from Alan Sharp

<@Alan Sharp//community.trimble.com/people/alan_sharp@trimble.com?et=watches.email.thread>

in Trimble Business Center for Construction - View the full discussion

<https://community.trimble.com/message/14866-re-license-will-not-detached-from-server?commentID=14866&et=watches.email.thread#comment-14866>

• 4.  Re: License will not detached from server.

Posted 02-05-2019 09:35

Paul, I also have only one license check out has always been an option. I haven't tried this since moving the license from my laptop to desktop workstation last Friday. It had worked earlier in the week so I don't think it's a v5 issue. Since you have a 503 area code my suggestion at this point is to contact Delton at Sitech and make sure nothing has changed.

On another note I have noticed that the good folks at Microsoft will make changes during updates without any kind of warning of what it is. Then it's up to us to figure out what they did and put it back.

• 5.  Re: License will not detached from server.

Posted 02-05-2019 09:47

George, 

Thank you for the response.  I was having this same problem with 4.12 also.  I was traveling for a month and had the license checked out on a backup computer while I was on the road overseas.  When I came back to check out the license on my main work laptop is when I started getting the error dialog box.  

I actually upgraded to v5 to see if that would resolve my issues.  My description of the process for getting the option to check out successfully is was the same. But ultimately it would work  

I think your point on an MS update needs to be investigated.  

• 6.  Re: License will not detached from server.

Posted 02-05-2019 10:01

I'll try checking it out to my laptop later this evening. The laptop definitely sees the license and can grab it when the desktop isn't using it. I don't check it out as much as I used to so it seems like I have to try a couple of times before I get the sequence correct.

• 7.  Re: License will not detached from server.

Posted 02-05-2019 10:30

George,

That would be great!

Thanks for the help.

Paul Roeder

AllRoed Consulting, LLC

paul@allroed.com

503-964-4980

Sent: Tuesday, February 5, 2019 9:01 AM

To: Paul Roeder <paul@allroed.com>

Subject: Re:  - Re: License

will not detached from server.

Trimble <https://community.trimble.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

Re: License will not detached from server.

reply from George Henry-Schneider

<@George Henry-Schneider//community.trimble.com/people/georgeh@toast.net?et=watches.email.thread>

in Trimble Business Center for Construction - View the full discussion

<https://community.trimble.com/message/14914-re-license-will-not-detached-from-server?commentID=14914&et=watches.email.thread#comment-14914>

• 8.  Re: License will not detached from server.

Posted 02-05-2019 18:26

So here's my update.

From the laptop I initially tried all the License Manager search types but could not get the license checked out even though it could see the license.

I ran TBC on the desktop, where the license is / aka The Network Server. I opened the License manager->Sentinel Admin Control->Configuration->Detachable Licenses tab, put a check in the Enable Detaching of Licenses box. I closed TBC and opened it on the laptop. In License Manager I changed the search type to Local Hardware and restarted. The License Manager showed only that the license could be check out. I chose the minimal allotment of 0.1 day and successfully checked the license out. I shut down the desktop/network server and restarted the laptop to make sure the license was still checked out. It is and there is an option to Extend the checkout time. The laptop now has the license for another two hours. 

The only magical thing I did was to enable detaching of licenses on the desktop. I would suggest you look there and make sure it is still checked. If it is then it's probably time to call tech support.

• 9.  Re: License will not detached from server.

Posted 02-06-2019 11:47

George hit the nail on the head, I want to add a few notes here that I just got from our product management team

1) You should not have to use the Sentinel Admin Center at all - that is a fall back if really necessary

2) If you use a Laptop (to go remote) and an Office Workstation (to host your license) and you move between using your Workstation when in the Office and detaching the license to your Laptop when you go remote then you should be able to manage this entirely through the TBC License Manager

3) When you start TBC on your Laptop, and it is networked to your Workstation, the TBC on the Laptop will check out your license from the Workstation Network License. If you only have one License, that license is now consumed by TBC and will not be available to you to Detach It (so you can take it with you). i.e. It is still on the server but is "In Use" by a User on the network.

4) If you then go to Support - License Manager and in the Search Type field, select Local Hardware. This then at next restart of TBC will force TBC to search the Local Hardware (The Laptop) for the license. It will not find the license. This means that there is still your one license on the Workstation Net License. The Detachable License process should then be available to you and you should be able to check out the license to your Laptop for the selected period of time. That license will be automatically checked back into the network license when the selected time limit expires. The license will be missing from the Network License until it is returned.

5) You can then detach from the Network License Server and restart TBC to ensure that it finds the license on the local machine before leaving the office to go remote.

NOTE

The Product Manager mentioned that there has been a defect on the Sentinel Lock Driver provided by Gemalto in recent versions that prevents early check back in of the License - so if you check out the license for e.g. 30 days but want to return it after 7 days, you may not be able to do that. If you have Version 6.65 of the Sentinel Lock Driver this was working. The current TBC ships with version 7.81 of the Lock Driver. The product Team is evaluating whether this "known Gemalto Issue" is still an issue or whether it has been resolved. I will post a response on this once I have the answer from the product Team.

I hope that this answers the question Paul - please try this and let me know if you get resolution here. I am going to go back up this thread to see if I missed any critical point here. The main issue is that you SHOULD NOT HAVE TO use the Sentinel Admin Center at all to achieve this work flow.

Alan

• 10.  Re: License will not detached from server.

Posted 02-07-2019 12:14

Only thing I would add, it that on the License Manager PC or Server, If you, not your IT department controls access to it..........there is a Sentinal Admin Control Toggle that needs to be checked, to allow check out of a seat from that network key license.  If that is not checked in the actual server/machine installation of the license manager, you will not be able to check out a license.  This screen shot, is NOT from our License Manager, just from my Desktop, so I do not need to check it.  But if my desktop, was the license manager server, for other to use, like my Laptop, then it would need to be checked. 

• 11.  Re: License will not detached from server.

Posted 02-09-2019 17:46

Thanks for the input Jake

Sent from my iPhone