Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Does anyone else use 3DConnexion devices?

• 1.  Does anyone else use 3DConnexion devices?

Posted 11-02-2018 19:24

For the last couple of years I have been using two devices that I find incredibly useful and valuable. They are both from a company called 3DConnexion. One is a 3-button mouse called CadMouse. The other is complimentary directional knob/joystick type device called SpaceMouse Compact. The devices the company sell are designed around CAD and CAD-like programs. Sadly the SpaceMouse is not fully functional with HCE yet. In regular CAD software it allows moving around in 3D-View but it does not in 3D View HCE. The 3-button CadMouse works perfectly in all views of HCE. I have both the wired and wireless version but my preference is wired connections when working at my desk station. Does anyone else use them or like devices?

• 2.  Re: Does anyone else use 3DConnexion devices?

Posted 11-28-2018 17:07

I like the space mouse if it worked with TBC I would probably get one. I have been using the Logitech G602 gaming mouse. It has 8 programable buttons you can assign key strokes to like Enter, Tab, Shift+Tab, etc... works great

Kaspersky Password Manager
    Create a strong password for your account

• 3.  Re: Does anyone else use 3DConnexion devices?

Posted 11-28-2018 22:40

Maybe it's time for me to suggest 3dconnexion add TBC full features to their app list. I use the Space Mouse Compact all the time in 2D. However it does nothing in 3D view. I use Bricscad and it's fully functional there.

Do you have issues with a wireless mouse occasionally not working? Three years ago I was using a wireless Logitech set of keyboard and mouse. I've never developed the skill of running a 10-key number pad without looking at the keys. I'd be trying to enter a bunch of numbers into a spreadsheet and when I looked up it had lost connection for a time and I'd have to fix it. Or I'd be zooming in and out with the mouse and it would just get hung up and forget what it was supposed to be doing for a while. I got a wired mouse and keyboard, problem solved!

Also I'm amazed you guys can make use of all the extra buttons on a mouse. I find it awkward just trying to get my thumb on the side back button. I can get the front side button since that's where my thumb is anyway. The other one requires rolling my hand back and I loose control of the mouse.

• 4.  Re: Does anyone else use 3DConnexion devices?

Posted 04-08-2019 02:24

Ich würde mich auch sehr freuen, wenn die 3D-Maus in TBC auch in der 3D-Ansicht funktionieren würde! Ich habe bisher mit BricsCAD gearbeitet und die 3D-Maus war dort ein unentbehrliches Werkzeug, weil man wesentlich effizienter (schnellere Bewegungen, weniger Mausklicks) arbeitet in der 3D-Ansicht.

• 5.  Re: Does anyone else use 3DConnexion devices?

Posted 04-08-2019 11:37

Thank you for the feedback Titus. I'm still surprised how few folks on the forum have tried or mention the 3DConnexion tools. I also think since hardly anyone is requesting 3DConnexxion add support for TBC it's not going to happen anytime soon. A 3D model in Bricscad spins around faster than if I held it in my hand. A couple of Trimble apps are supported so I still have hopes for TBC.

(Here I give a big shoutout to the Google Translation service! I took a German language class 50 years ago in high school and needed a lot of help to read the post.)

• 6.  Re: Does anyone else use 3DConnexion devices?

Posted 11-29-2019 04:58

We have now installed version 5.20, unfortunately there is still no function here in the 3D view. I hope, something will happen someday.

• 7.  Re: Does anyone else use 3DConnexion devices?

Posted 11-29-2019 09:35

I think it will be up to 3DConnexion to add something. It appears to me that there are very few TBC users making use of the devices. I think it is a great set of user interfacing tools so I  keep hoping.

• 8.  Re: Does anyone else use 3DConnexion devices?

Posted 12-01-2019 23:56

I passed on the hint to 3Dconnexion some time ago. They said Trimble should contact them. So we have to be patient.

• 9.  Re: Does anyone else use 3DConnexion devices?

Posted 06-29-2020 03:13

Yes, that would be great. In Realworks, the 3D-mouse is supported. So, why not in TBC?

I use a Wacom-tablet in my CAD-software, and have a Space-Explorer. In 3D the tablet won't do on its on (button short), so recently I've bought a CADmouse from 3DConnexxion. But it would be sweet with the full 3D-mouse and tablet.

Still no support in 5.30...

• 10.  RE: Re: Does anyone else use 3DConnexion devices?

Posted 01-25-2021 11:59
    I would really like to see this happen, I use the SpaceMouse and the CadMouse Pro from 3D Connexion. The Spacemouse works in Terramodel, but not TBC. In v5.40 now, still no support.​

------------------------------
    Jeremy Polter

• 11.  RE: Does anyone else use 3DConnexion devices?

Posted 01-26-2021 08:14
    We use 3DConnexion for Sketchup models and love it. Unfortunately, it doesn't work in Trimble Business Center. Would love to see this included in the future updates though.

Karen Anne De Guzman

• 12.  RE: Does anyone else use 3DConnexion devices?

Posted 01-26-2021 14:11
    I have advocated for this for years! I have a 3D mouse and an artists tablet, and both would be huge improvements in productivity in TBC! @Jeff Ryan

Nelson Hays

• 13.  RE: Does anyone else use 3DConnexion devices?

Posted 01-28-2021 12:33
    My Space mouse just collects dust. I never really liked it. The 3D navigation in TBC is good enough I wouldn't use it if it worked with TBC.

steve schuler

• 14.  RE: Does anyone else use 3DConnexion devices?

Posted 01-29-2021 04:29
    Edited by PATRICK L'HEUREUX 01-29-2021 04:29
    I love my touchscreen but it is not super useful with TBC because they lack the native touchscreen support. A 3D mouse would be very useful if it was suppported.

Patrick L'heureux

• 15.  RE: Does anyone else use 3DConnexion devices?

Posted 12-21-2021 09:20
    We're on v5.6 and a few days from 2022, but still no additional devices supported. Is there any future support planned?

Tex Barnett
    Surveyor
    CEI Engineering Inc.
    Bentonville AR

• 16.  RE: Does anyone else use 3DConnexion devices?

Posted 12-21-2021 13:12
    James, I have been pushing for support of 3D mice for years!

Nelson Hays

• 17.  RE: Does anyone else use 3DConnexion devices?

Posted 12-22-2021 08:14
    I've looked at the 3D Connexion stuff and wondered how well it integrated with TBC. Glad this thread popped through my feed this morning. Anyone have any thoughts about using a trackball mouse? I recently bought one to try out and it's taking a little getting used to. Anyone else have experience with trackball vs. the CADmouse vs. any other mouse with programmable buttons?

Nate Groo

• 18.  RE: Does anyone else use 3DConnexion devices?

Posted 12-22-2021 11:30
    Trackball all the way. I've converted quite a few people, every one of them says they'll never go back to modeling. WAY less fatigue. I suggest Logitech MX Ergo, I've bought quite a few of them.

Adam Bower