Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Is anyone using a USB drive license?

• 1.  Is anyone using a USB drive license?

Posted 07-31-2018 21:51

Earlier this year I bought a new Dell Precision 5520 hoping one machine could work as a desktop/mobile computer. Short story is when it worked it was great. It had some kind of internal problem that replacing mother board twice, hard drive twice and even sending it in for repair did not fix it. Dell finally exchanged with a new 5520 and it has been working for a month without issues. Because the computer would just become totally non functional I could not get my TBC-HCE license removed which required Sitech/Trimble to send a new code and me feeling like I had done something wrong. I have only one seat and use the network license feature. My question is about using the USB drive license. Is anyone using it? Have there been problems around it beside the potential of loosing it and it taking up a USB port? If you add modules does Trimble provide a new stick? I hear it is $1000 to get one which seriously seems like a lot. I was told not to long ago that Trimble was working on moving to an online registrations similar to my Bluebeam or Bricscad licensing but I’m not holding my breath.

• 2.  Re: Is anyone using a USB drive license?

Posted 08-01-2018 09:07

We've had the same 2 usb sticks for 5 plus years with no problems.  It allows us to move between the office desktops and lap tops in the field easily. Every time we add a module, our rep just provides us with a code to punch in the license manager to upgrade, no need to get a new stick.  We have each key on a large lanyard to help avoid loss in the field.  

• 3.  Re: Is anyone using a USB drive license?

Posted 08-01-2018 09:19

Brian, thank you for the reply. It's definitely the way I'm leaning assuming the online registration is still a long way off.

• 4.  Re: Is anyone using a USB drive license?

Posted 08-02-2018 11:37

George - Henry

We make a charge for lost USB Stick licenses or stolen licenses in the event that you are not under warranty and cannot provide a theft or loss report to substantiate the claim for Loss or Theft. In most cases where you have lost a key or had one stolen, provided you can provide a Police Report that covers you we will typically replace at no charge provided that you are under warranty or extended warranty.

Like any other property, the USB Key is a valuable asset and should be insured. We have no way of telling that you have Lost, Mislaid or had it stolen. With a USB Key it is a physical thing vs a Software or Network License where we can remove a license prior to installing a new or updated one. The convenience of portability and offline / out of office use should be weighed up against the security of a Network license that is maintained in your office. If the software license is installed on your personal computer or an office server should make little difference to getting it reinstated in the event of a failure.

If your computer had a Network License and it got destroyed in a Computer Crash or Process, our support team should be able to get a Network License restored without issue. If we made you feel like you were in the wrong I apologize on behalf of our collective (SITECH and Trimble) Support / Software Team, I am sure that was not their intent.

I also use a USB Key every day and have been for many years and have never had an issue. Upgrading is easy if you ever want to extend its capabilities. 

If you need to discuss anything please don't hesitate to contact me at my email address (alan_sharp@trimble.com)

Hope that this helps

Alan Sharp

Business Area Director - CEC Software Solutions

• 5.  Re: Is anyone using a USB drive license?

Posted 08-03-2018 03:43

The USB works well. I use one every day.

I wish there was a low profile style so that I could keep it plugged into my laptop all of the time. This would help with potential lose issues. 

• 6.  Re: Is anyone using a USB drive license?

Posted 08-04-2018 08:37

Thank you all for your replies and participating in this community.