Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

DXF files are read only

• 1.  DXF files are read only

Posted 04-11-2021 06:49
    Can someone tell me how I can make dxf files that are NOT read only? 

Sometime they are and sometimes they aren't. 

The field equipment can't read my files.

Please, please someone help me!

------------------------------
    Craig Anderson

• 2.  RE: DXF files are read only

Posted 04-11-2021 21:43
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean by read only.
    DXF is not a native format for TBC. So you can't use TBC to edit an existing DXF file. However what you can do is import a DXF file into TBC, edit the data and export it as a new DXF file.
    What field software are you using?

James McWha

• 3.  RE: DXF files are read only

Posted 04-12-2021 03:02
    I am exporting a .dxf for the rover in TBC. For some reason it makes the file read only and the rover can't utilize the layers. I am exporting as a new .dxf file.

Craig Anderson

• 4.  RE: DXF files are read only

Posted 04-12-2021 05:35
    If you are exporting from CAD and have that file open, and then trying to save with the same file name this could be the issue.

We use save as (and save back to 2004 dxf if possible). (depends on your data and end use). 
    We then give that saved file an applicable file name.

Julius Newman

• 5.  RE: DXF files are read only

Posted 04-12-2021 05:47
    Thank you for your time responding. 

You understand? I am making a .dxf from Trimble Business Center. When I open that file in AutoCad, CAD shows as a read only file. It is not read only in windows. Trimble Business Center for some reason make it a read only file. It is frustrating. 

Why is Trimble Business Center making read only files is my question? 

Once it is read only, I can't seem to get it to stop being read only. I have tried several things and nothing is working. I just want Trimble Business center to not make read only .dxf files. 

The problem is the rover cannot separate layers with a read only .dxf file. It sees the layers, but the guys can't turn off/on layers.

Craig Anderson

• 6.  RE: DXF files are read only

Posted 04-12-2021 05:56
    sounds similar to :

You can't import to TBC from Autocad if you have the drawing open in Autocad. 
    I can't say I've had this issue with exporting data the data.

A thought could be that the export panel is open in TBC, and holding a lock on the CAD file?
    Try closing the export panel before opening in Autocad.

Otherwise, put your process down, and add in some screen grabs to show what the sequence is.

i.e. 
    1. Home Tab
    2. Export
    3. CAD
    4. DXF exporter 

The select data
    Enter a name for the file.

Have no to export as block

Julius Newman

• 7.  RE: DXF files are read only

Posted 04-12-2021 14:23
    I think this is more likely an AutoDesk issue rather than TBC. From time to time when I open a DXF in AutoCAD or Civil 3D I get a read only warning. It usually happens if I double click on the DXF and it happens with DXF that aren't from TBC as well.
    Here is a post on an Autodesk support page of on this issue:
    https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Double-clicking-a-DXF-file-shows-a-read-only-message-in-AutoCAD.html

James McWha

• 8.  RE: DXF files are read only

Posted 04-13-2021 07:08
    i agree with previous comments. make sure it is not saved as a block because blocks can not be used the same way in the data collector. 

also, could this be a cloud problem? are you saving to a cloud directory. i notice sometimes there is a delay with the cloud and this makes some software think a file is still in use when it was recently closed down. because you said it sometimes works and sometimes does not i was thinking it could be how long of a time gap between the save and when the new dxf is used that causes the problem.

ian bissonnette

• 9.  RE: DXF files are read only

Posted 04-13-2021 07:13
    Thank you.

Craig Anderson