Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Thick lines AGAIN!

• 1.  Thick lines AGAIN!

Posted 07-19-2021 03:51
    Please can some respond to this ongoing and now regular issue..... I now have another issue of white background appearing and the lines thickened.....
    ( and no i didn't change the background colour!)

• 2.  RE: Thick lines AGAIN!

Posted 07-19-2021 22:54
    Dont think you will get any love with this. Happens all the time to me. Someone had a thread on this a week or so ago

Regards

------------------------------
    Bevan Macdonald

• 3.  RE: Thick lines AGAIN!

Posted 07-19-2021 23:03
    Edited by Marian Plucinski 07-19-2021 23:03
    Have you tried using "OLD" plan view instead of "PlanView"?

Marian Plucinski

• 4.  RE: Thick lines AGAIN!

Posted 07-20-2021 07:05
    Marian, you've got my interest.  I have to ask: what the heck is OLD plan view?

Wayne Welshans

• 5.  RE: Thick lines AGAIN!

Posted 07-21-2021 19:46
    Hi @Wayne Welshans ​, 

I do not know what OldPlanView really is, except that it looks different (grid lines), and usually open at different location than PlanView.

Cheers,

Marian Plucinski

• 6.  RE: Thick lines AGAIN!

Posted 07-22-2021 08:41
    i get an error message if i try this

• 7.  RE: Thick lines AGAIN!

Posted 07-20-2021 07:09
    Alan, I've never seen the white background change but the line thickening has been happening to me anywhere from 2-30 times a day for several years and I don't think I'm alone.  There used to be another weird glitch where the cursor focus would randomly shift to the view filter and when when you scrolled thinking you were zooming out you actually scrolled to the ALL view filter which would blow up your graphics if you were in a half way large project file.  It got fixed after it happened to a trimble employee at a product demonstration in front of an audience and an upper trimble team member.  I think this line thickening deal is going to have to happen the same way for them to finally fix it.

Wayne Welshans

• 8.  RE: Thick lines AGAIN!

Posted 07-21-2021 01:40
    Edited by Matthew Pitt 07-21-2021 01:44
    If it's the same thing as I questioned a couple of years ago it's an issue TBC has always had with the HOOPS graphics back end it uses. I had noticed an increase in it's occurance on larger project files and it tends to happen if I press a keybind at the same time as panning the view. I don't know if it's related. The easiest way I've found to get over it is just to open a new plan view off the top action bar then close the bugged one.

Matthew Pitt

• 9.  RE: Thick lines AGAIN!

Posted 07-21-2021 13:17
    Has been an issue for a while now, you can open a new plan view and it should reset.

Matthew Judice

• 10.  RE: Thick lines AGAIN!

Posted 07-22-2021 07:07
    Anyone know of other programs that have this graphic card issue?

Francisco Guerrero

• 11.  RE: Thick lines AGAIN!

Posted 07-22-2021 08:42
    Yes agreed you just open a new plan view but it shouldnt happen....

• 12.  RE: Thick lines AGAIN!

Posted 08-01-2021 16:07
    Agreed. Needs fixing.
    Running NVIDIA Quadro M2000 using DVI ports.

Rob Davidson

• 13.  RE: Thick lines AGAIN!

Posted 08-02-2021 16:16
    Just another #beforenewfeatures item to add to ridiculously long list of things that should have been fixed long ago; and when added up, waste way more time than most new features save us.

steve schuler

• 14.  RE: Thick lines AGAIN!

Posted 08-02-2021 16:54
    Absolutely. Whenever I'm asked what I'd like to see done for future release, I state "UI Maintenance".

Rob Davidson

• 15.  RE: Thick lines AGAIN!

Posted 08-03-2021 08:05
    Hey Everyone, 

Has anyone put in a support case with this issue? If so, can you please tell me who the dealer is that put the case in so that I can reach out to them and get a case number. I've approached the TBC team and this bug doesn't stand out so I'm not sure it's ever been logged with support and a case put in (doesn't mean it hasn't, but not something that they are currently aware of).

Let me know if anyone has logged this with their dealer and Trimble Support and we'll go from there. 

Regards,

Shane Lyons

Shane Lyons

• 16.  RE: Thick lines AGAIN!

Posted 08-03-2021 14:05
    Hey Shane. I have brought this up with our local dealer a number of times over the last 3 years. I have just emailed them to see if they can give me a support case number. I know @Alan Sharp who was and always is extremely helpful had a real good understanding of why this happening.  I know he was talking with Trimble. I tracked down my old thread from 2019 which the response was as per below.

" This is I am told caused by a Graphics Glitch on the Hoops Graphic Library that we use in TBC to create the Graphics Views. I too have seen them, but not as much recently than as in historic times. It is a similar glitch that causes items that you select to be selected but not highlighted on screen - as you say the fix is to open a New Plan View and then you are goo to go until it happens again.

I am told that this Glitch can be more frequent if Hoops gets more clashes with your Graphics Drivers and this can be mitigated by some of the following

1) Make sure that your Graphics Card Drivers are 100% up to date

2 Make sure that your Windows installation is 100% up to date - and run Windows Update and take all updates rather than let your IS department control which updates you get - I know that at Trimble the IS department releases certain Windows updates only and you do not get full Windows Updates unless you do it manually for example

3) Make sure that your System is 100% up to date - take all BIOS and System Updates from your PC Provider eg Dell. and do that regularly.

Lastly use Support - Options - Advanced and try a different Graphics Display Driver if you are still having issues - mine defaults to DirectX 11 but you can override that and use DirectX 9 or Open GL or Open GL2 etc. and see if one of those approaches causes less glitches / no Glitches - this can be an effect of the age of your Laptop, the Graphics Card and Version and also the System of your PC that can cause Glitches - if you are fully up to date then you should see better performance."

I will reply with a case number when I get a email back from our dealer here in Aussie. Would be great if this could be elevated as its an ongoing issue that has been around for a long time. 

Regards

Bevan

Bevan Macdonald

• 17.  RE: Thick lines AGAIN!

Posted 08-03-2021 15:06
    Ive also seen this support bulletin, yet surely it is resolvable, no other software does this as far as I can see. And it was reported by my 3-4 years ago 
    "this can be an effect of the age of your Laptop, the Graphics Card and Version and also the System of your PC that can cause Glitches - if you are fully up-to-date then you should see better performance"

This has happened with me on old/new laptops and a PC. so in all honesty, if it's a "glitch" surely it's fixable ? Although I'm not a software engineer, so maybe  it is so random that It is very tricky to fathom out?

• 18.  RE: Thick lines AGAIN!

Posted 08-03-2021 18:41
    Hey @Shane Lyons.

One of the case numbers from a year ago is: Case 03228409 TBC v5.21 - Plan View Glitches

Regards

Bevan​

Bevan Macdonald

• 19.  RE: Thick lines AGAIN!

Posted 08-03-2021 19:37
    Thanks Bevan, I've sent this case over to the engineering team and will be getting with them to discuss further. 

I'll keep you posted as to what I find. 

Regards,

Shane Lyons

Shane Lyons