Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Enhancement Request: Chord Bearing option for alignment creation

• 1.  Enhancement Request: Chord Bearing option for alignment creation

Posted 02-11-2021 14:46
    It'd be helpful to have the option to define an alignment curve using a chord bearing input.

------------------------------
    Tyler Lindsay

• 2.  RE: Enhancement Request: Chord Bearing option for alignment creation

Posted 02-12-2021 09:41
    Have you checked project settings as there are alternative input methods for alignments that you can select there.
    Look under view - Alignment editor

If you have arcs to enter by that method you may find them easier to create using the linestring editor and then convert to an alignment.

I can't say that I have ever had to create alignments in any way other than Geometrical or PI based inputs - chord bearing if i got that I guess I would draw using a polyline and then fit the curves to the frame I suppose.

Would love to see the plan sheet where those are provided where the normal data is missing - is that a state dot job or a rail job - if a rail job then you can pick the spiral type Rail (chord) but the spiral is still entered as length and end radius.

Alan

Alan Sharp
    alan.sharp@rockpilesolutions.com

• 3.  RE: Enhancement Request: Chord Bearing option for alignment creation

Posted 02-12-2021 10:21
    Alan,

You're right, I don't think I've ever seen a standard corridor alignment which required the use of the chord bearing over the tangent bearing.

My use case is in recreating property boundaries. It's helpful when georeferencing a site using data that doesn't otherwise contain any control.

The worst-case scenario for this type of task is to receive the bare minimum amount of information on only a few pages of non-vectored PDF's, including basis-of-bearing, section monuments, and a property line which includes non-tangential curves.

My main thought is that TBC has so many survey tools and commands, but it doesn't quite have all the tools available to recreate select bearing-distance shapes without workarounds.

Tyler Lindsay

• 4.  RE: Enhancement Request: Chord Bearing option for alignment creation

Posted 02-12-2021 11:22
    If you have the Chord and the Bearing and you know the Radius (you must have the Radius or you will need to compute a 3 point arc from the PDF or something), then if you draw the chord using point and Bearing and Distance, then you can use the Linestring command to draw the line from the start of the chord, and use the Arc method and enter the Radius and then select Right or Left direction and whether you want the small or large circle part and it will create it for you. So the COGO functions are all there and if you need it to be an alignment you can then convert it to an alignment.

You can also do this on the fly - in linestring click Point 1 (start of Arc) and then change to ARC, Enter Radius, and Right/Left and Small/Large for example and for the Coordinate select Right Click snap and select Bearing and Distance and enter the Chord Length and Bearing to create the end of the arc  This will create you what you need. The Alignment is for Roads and Railways not really for Property Boundaries, the Linestring handles al of the Arc and Straight line entries that you may need for a property boundary.

Alan

Alan Sharp
    alan.sharp@rockpilesolutions.com