Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Why does TBC pickup ZERO elev. from snaps?

• 1.  Why does TBC pickup ZERO elev. from snaps?

Posted 07-26-2021 11:32
    When snapping to a line with "?" (no elevation) an elev. of "0.00" is automatically set on created linestring vertices. WHY? This is yet another frustrating feature of TBC that make no sense, needlessly adds to a workflow and will undoubtedly be ignored by devs.

------------------------------
    steve schuler

• 2.  RE: Why does TBC pickup ZERO elev. from snaps?

Posted 07-27-2021 07:20
    I don't see this behavior. What object type are you snapping to?

Gary Lantaff

• 3.  RE: Why does TBC pickup ZERO elev. from snaps?

Posted 07-28-2021 13:31
    Edited by Richard Tyndall 07-28-2021 13:31
    For example:
    Both of the lines shown below are native TBC linestrings.
    The perpendicular running snap picked up an elevation of 287.54. The expected elevation at that point is 286.58 which should have been the result of the snap. Elevation 287.54 is over 40' away from the snapped location. The other end of the newly created line (yellow) is 287.03. So the resulting snapped elevation seem random and is a problem. Again, this is the running snap. The right clip snap seems to pickup the correct elevation. 

Richard Tyndall

• 4.  RE: Why does TBC pickup ZERO elev. from snaps?

Posted 07-28-2021 16:48
    Edited by steve schuler 07-28-2021 17:13
    @Gary Lantaff- When creating a linestring if you snap to the endpoint of a linestring with no elevation ("?") the created vertex gets an elevation of 0.00 instead of "?". Same happens by snapping a grip to a linestring, even when both linestrings have "?" elev.

@Richard Tyndall- I think this is a different problem, I haven't noticed that before, thanks for pointing it out.  
    steve schuler
    Also note frustrating inability quickly to pickup snap location in TBC....

• 5.  RE: Why does TBC pickup ZERO elev. from snaps?

Posted 07-28-2021 05:16
    Steve - FYI, the quickline TML doesn't do this if that helps. 
    Another thing to note, the snapping (most notably perpendicular) doesn't alway grab the expected/correct elevation. Maybe sloppy snapping, maybe not, but it's a random occurrence that I haven't been able to pin down just yet.  Verify the snapped elevation or face the flag if its in a surface. If it's not in a surface, well, best of luck.

Richard Tyndall

• 6.  RE: Why does TBC pickup ZERO elev. from snaps?

Posted 08-02-2021 13:29
    Richard, does the line your snapping to happen to a vertical curve? I wonder if it's an interpolation issue....

steve schuler

• 7.  RE: Why does TBC pickup ZERO elev. from snaps?

Posted 08-02-2021 14:30
    No Steve. It's just a straight slope line. The perpendicular running snap is horrible at picking up the correct elevation. I'd rather it didn't pickup any elevation then the wrong elevation.

Richard Tyndall

• 8.  RE: Why does TBC pickup ZERO elev. from snaps?

Posted 07-28-2021 07:32
    Go into 3d view and increase the vertical exaggeration by enough that you can select everything that is not elevated easily, then select the change elevation command and set it all to undefined.

Matthew Judice

• 9.  RE: Why does TBC pickup ZERO elev. from snaps?

Posted 07-28-2021 16:57
    Yes there are many ways to fix the assigned incorrect elevation, I'm wondering why it's necessary.

steve schuler

• 10.  RE: Why does TBC pickup ZERO elev. from snaps?

Posted 07-29-2021 06:32
    No, I'm saying even if the line has a ? assigned as the elevation, sometimes it will pick up 0 as the elevation when snapping to it. When this happens to me I select everything that is not elevated and set it to unassigned through the change elevation command and it will no longer pick up a 0 elevation when snapping.

I don't know why it works that way but it does.

Matthew Judice

• 11.  RE: Why does TBC pickup ZERO elev. from snaps?

Posted 08-02-2021 13:25
    Sorry I misunderstood you, however I just tried that and unfortunately for me it doesn't work for me. I adjusted the "snap to" linestring elev to undefined using "Adjust Elev" command it new line still get elev. 0.00

steve schuler

• 12.  RE: Why does TBC pickup ZERO elev. from snaps?

Posted 07-30-2021 07:10
    Steve, I have had this happen to me before as well.  However for me the issue was that even though the horizontal tab of the linestring editor shows the linestring as having a ? elevation, there was a VPI assigned to the linestring only visible on the vertical tab in the linestring editor that was at elevation 0.

Wayne Welshans

• 13.  RE: Why does TBC pickup ZERO elev. from snaps?

Posted 08-02-2021 13:27
    Wayne, the snap to line has an elev of "?" in properties... It happens no matter what. sux.   Thanks though

steve schuler

• 14.  RE: Why does TBC pickup ZERO elev. from snaps?

Posted 08-02-2021 15:43
    Did you try setting the elevation to undefined using the change elevation command even though it already shows '?' in the properties?

Matthew Judice

• 15.  RE: Why does TBC pickup ZERO elev. from snaps?

Posted 08-02-2021 15:14
    When I try this I'm getting undefined. Could you upload the file that showed the issue? Also, what running snaps do you have turned on?

Gary Lantaff

• 16.  RE: Why does TBC pickup ZERO elev. from snaps?

Posted 08-02-2021 16:53
    Gary thanks for the help. This was with a brand new file using TBC default template.

steve schuler

• 17.  RE: Why does TBC pickup ZERO elev. from snaps?

Posted 08-02-2021 17:03
    Edited by steve schuler 08-02-2021 17:09
      |   view attached
    Last capture ended short and of course theres no way to delete or upload when editing post. Heres the full clip.

steve schuler

• 18.  RE: Why does TBC pickup ZERO elev. from snaps?

Posted 08-02-2021 17:08
    I am not able to recreate that, it works as expected for me (running 5.51). What version are you running?

Matthew Judice

• 19.  RE: Why does TBC pickup ZERO elev. from snaps?

Posted 08-02-2021 17:10

steve schuler

• 20.  RE: Why does TBC pickup ZERO elev. from snaps?

Posted 08-03-2021 08:23
    I don't see that issue in our current version either. Can you update to latest version?

Gary Lantaff

• 21.  RE: Why does TBC pickup ZERO elev. from snaps?

Posted 08-03-2021 14:22
    I can recreate it in 5.20.
    I haven't got a 5.3 installation on my computer anymore.

But at least since 5.40.1 the input stops and asks what elevation you want to use if it the snap is on a segment with undefined elevation.

Ronny Schneider

• 22.  RE: Why does TBC pickup ZERO elev. from snaps?

Posted 08-03-2021 18:43
    So it seems this issue wasn't ignored by the devs, it was actually addressed sometime between 5.20 and the current build. 

OP just needs to update.

Matthew Judice

• 23.  RE: Why does TBC pickup ZERO elev. from snaps?

Posted 08-04-2021 15:46
    My apologies, I haven't seen this in any of the change logs and this will be the first of many productivity issues I've had that have been actually addressed, hints my comment. The reason I haven't undated is there hasn't been anything in change logs that would increase my productivity, only seen posts about new issues that could do the opposite.

steve schuler

• 24.  RE: Why does TBC pickup ZERO elev. from snaps?

Posted 08-07-2021 09:11

Hi Steve,

The list of bug fixes in the release notes are only a sampling of all the bugs fixed.  In some cases, the fix for a described bug might actually fix numerous commands - but the fix description only mentions the initial bug.

They are probably better about posting every enhancement - but I'm sure there are many small ones that get added w/o any fanfare.

In this case, I'm defining a "bug" as when the code is not doing what the dev team intended.  So this snaps issue was a bug and they fixed it.  Fixing bugs is a priority for the dev team.  They want it to work how they intended it to work.  And I do appreciate your "productivity issues" likely have a lot of "enhancements" by this definition.

So if you have a hit list of bugs, I would test them against new versions.  If they are still there, I know the TBC managers would say to submit support tickets, but others might say to post your list of "still not fixed" bugs on the forums.  I know your time is limited, so maybe posting and seeing what feedback others can give is a middle-ground.

Quan Mueller
    Revenant Solutions - TML Development